Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

On checking embassy web sites I see that both Vientiane 

and Phnom Penh have details available for NON IMM O 

long stay retirement. Wondering at success rate or otherwise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long stay is O-X. Is that what your asking about?

Clearly you must mean non O based on retirement. Easy at many consulates. They all require different "stuff" 

Example Vientiane also requires appointment.

You could enter los on visa exempt or tourist visa and convert to non O at Thai immigration

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no non-o long stay visa. There is only Non-OA and Non-OX visas that can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

For single entry non-o visa Vientiane wants financial proof, a police clearance and medical certificate.

Savannakhet will issue a single entry non-o with 800k baht inf the bank and proof of retirement. Same at Penang but they will issue multiple entry non-o visa. 

Phnom Penh is a maybe for a single entry non-o with financial proof.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am 74y/o and have been here on an O-A visa since 2005.  However, I would like to convert my current O-A vias to an O if possible.  I have met the financial requirements with a monthly direct deposit.  Unfortunately, Thai Immigration will not accept my Tricare Military health insurance for renewing my O-A visa.  I live in Udon Thani and am contemplating going to Vientiane by bicycle (returning the same way) to obtain a return Tourist Visa which i will convert to an O visa once here.  Can someone offer some advice regarding obtaining a Tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy in Vietiane please?  I need to know the following:

1.  Visa types available and length of stay permitted

2.  Documents required

3.  Cost

 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by fdimike
added more information
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fdimike said:

Unfortunately, Thai Immigration will not accept my Tricare Military health insurance for renewing my O-A visa. 

Thank you for this, it has been on my mind ever since I saw the list of "approved" insurance companies

 

I am afraid you are the tip of the ice berg, especially after most were advised by Thai Embassies overseas that the O-A Visa was the best visa for "retirement" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The feeling of been “ thrown under the bus “ is strong on this subject, i too have an OA extension and my plan is to convert to an O.

Going to wait until my visit to home country comes around in around 3 months to obtain an O visa, failing that return to Thailand on visa exempt and pursue the O here .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fdimike said:

1.  Visa types available and length of stay permitted

2.  Documents required

3.  Cost

You could just do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply at immigration for the non-o visa.

The embassy in Vientiane will issue a non-o visa if you have financial proof but also require a police clearance and a medical certificate. You could apply for a single entry tourist visa there. With your history you would not need much more than the application form and a copy of your passport photo page and entry stamp for Laos.

A single entry non-o visa is 2000 baht and tourist visa is 1000 baht.

You need to make an appointment to apply for the visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could just do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply at immigration for the non-o visa.

The embassy in Vientiane will issue a non-o visa if you have financial proof but also require a police clearance and a medical certificate. You could apply for a single entry tourist visa there. With your history you would not need much more than the application form and a copy of your passport photo page and entry stamp for Laos.

A single entry non-o visa is 2000 baht and tourist visa is 1000 baht.

You need to make an appointment to apply for the visa.

I'd check with my local IO whether they issue in country Non-Os. I did and was given a flat "NO". Turning up with an exempt or tourist visa and being refused the Non-O would have implied another trip or a move to another province; expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

I'd check with my local IO whether they issue in country Non-Os. I did and was given a flat "NO". Turning up with an exempt or tourist visa and being refused the Non-O would have implied another trip or a move to another province; expensive.

Hi Momo,

Which was the local IO that refused to issue a 90-day Non Imm O Visa after having returned VE or on tourist-Visa?

Did you apply for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage?

In case of marriage some rogue IOs indeed try to dodge the extra paper-work it means for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Momo,

Which was the local IO that refused to issue a 90-day Non Imm O Visa after having returned VE or on tourist-Visa?

Did you apply for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage?

In case of marriage some rogue IOs indeed try to dodge the extra paper-work it means for them.

Didn't apply, but inquired. It was Buriram.

They may have a workload concern indeed.

I have a Non-OA seed with 5 consecutive  extensions for reason of marriage.

 

Question one: Do I need a Health Insurance?  "No, since your Visa and original entry predate 31/10/2019"

 

Question two: Can you issue a two month "Thai spouse" extension, if anything changes prior to my next extension? "Yes"

 

Question three: Can you issue a Non-O based on marriage if I reenter on "exempt" or some Tourist visa? "NO".

 

Have a nice day.

 

I have applied for my next extension for marriage early January. Went in with two sundry unpleasant new requirements. They didn't get back to me since, pickup is early March.

Edited by Momofarang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Didn't apply, but inquired. It was Buriram.

So that's another rogue IO to be added to the list...

But it's actually first time that I heard of a local IO refusing to issue a 90-day Non Imm O Visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Didn't apply, but inquired. It was Buriram.

They may have a workload concern indeed.

I have a Non-OA seed with 5 consecutive  extensions for reason of marriage.

 

Question one: Do I need a Health Insurance?  "No, since your Visa and original entry predate 31/10/2019"

 

Question two: Can you issue a two month "Thai spouse" extension, if anything changes prior to my next extension? "Yes"

 

Question three: Can you issue a Non-O based on marriage if I reenter on "exempt" or some Tourist visa? "NO".

 

Have a nice day.

 

I have applied for my next extension for marriage early January. Went in with two sundry unpleasant new requirements. They didn't get back to me since, pickup is early March.

Why wouldn't you just go to Suvannakhet or HCMC and get a Non-O for marriage (single or multiple)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You could just do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply at immigration for the non-o visa.

The embassy in Vientiane will issue a non-o visa if you have financial proof but also require a police clearance and a medical certificate. You could apply for a single entry tourist visa there. With your history you would not need much more than the application form and a copy of your passport photo page and entry stamp for Laos.

A single entry non-o visa is 2000 baht and tourist visa is 1000 baht.

You need to make an appointment to apply for the visa.

@ubonjoe Sounds like Vientiane might be easier than dealing with Chiang Mai. Do you have to go to Bangkok for a police clearance or can you get it done in CM? 

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Sounds like Vientiane might be easier than dealing with Chiang Mai. Do you have to go to Bangkok for a police clearance or can you get it done in CM? 

It can only be done in Bangkok but you can mail in the application. I can take up to 30 days to get it though. 

See: http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/  But they do have a button on the page that takes you this website for an agent that get it done for you quicker. https://www.a-plusservice.com/

No need for the police clearance or medical check in Savannakhet. But you do need proof you are retired that can be pension statement and etc.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ubonjoe thanks for the info.  I'll go ahead and make the appointment for Vientiane and apply for a Tourist Visa.  My Thai-American wife checked with Udon Thani IO yesterday when she did her 90 Day and was told this would be the best way to go as well.  She is also on an O-A visa but because she is a dual national (Thai-American) she does not have to jump through all the hoops.  Imm here in Udon Thani my wife that they can easily convert the Tourist Visa to an O visa.  The IO also mentioned that no health insurance required for O visa now but unsure of the future.  

 

I received the following from the US Embassy yesterday.

 

  "The U.S. Embassy is aware there are a number of questions and concerns in response to the new health insurance mandate for those applying for, and extending, long-stay “OA” visas.

 

We are continuing to advocate with the Royal Thai Government on this issue.  Our main point of advocacy with the Ministry of Public Health and Office of the Insurance Commission is ensuring U.S. citizens can use their existing U.S. insurance to meet the minimum coverage requirements per the new mandate.  At the moment, however, Royal Thai Government policy only allows U.S. insurance as evidence during the initial application for an OA visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in the U.S.  Extensions of the OA visa for retirees already living in Thailand must be accompanied by evidence of health insurance from one of a number of Thailand-based companies."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...