NON IMM O

Long stay is O-X. Is that what your asking about?

Clearly you must mean non O based on retirement. Easy at many consulates. They all require different "stuff" 

Example Vientiane also requires appointment.

You could enter los on visa exempt or tourist visa and convert to non O at Thai immigration

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is no non-o long stay visa. There is only Non-OA and Non-OX visas that can only be applied for in your home country or country of legal residence.

For single entry non-o visa Vientiane wants financial proof, a police clearance and medical certificate.

Savannakhet will issue a single entry non-o with 800k baht inf the bank and proof of retirement. Same at Penang but they will issue multiple entry non-o visa. 

Phnom Penh is a maybe for a single entry non-o with financial proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am 74y/o and have been here on an O-A visa since 2005.  However, I would like to convert my current O-A vias to an O if possible.  I have met the financial requirements with a monthly direct deposit.  Unfortunately, Thai Immigration will not accept my Tricare Military health insurance for renewing my O-A visa.  I live in Udon Thani and am contemplating going to Vientiane by bicycle (returning the same way) to obtain a return Tourist Visa which i will convert to an O visa once here.  Can someone offer some advice regarding obtaining a Tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy in Vietiane please?  I need to know the following:

1.  Visa types available and length of stay permitted

2.  Documents required

3.  Cost

Thanks in advance.

Edited by fdimike
added more information
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, fdimike said:

Unfortunately, Thai Immigration will not accept my Tricare Military health insurance for renewing my O-A visa. 

Thank you for this, it has been on my mind ever since I saw the list of "approved" insurance companies

I am afraid you are the tip of the ice berg, especially after most were advised by Thai Embassies overseas that the O-A Visa was the best visa for "retirement" 

The feeling of been “ thrown under the bus “ is strong on this subject, i too have an OA extension and my plan is to convert to an O.

Going to wait until my visit to home country comes around in around 3 months to obtain an O visa, failing that return to Thailand on visa exempt and pursue the O here .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fdimike said:

2.  Documents required

3.  Cost

You could just do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply at immigration for the non-o visa.

The embassy in Vientiane will issue a non-o visa if you have financial proof but also require a police clearance and a medical certificate. You could apply for a single entry tourist visa there. With your history you would not need much more than the application form and a copy of your passport photo page and entry stamp for Laos.

A single entry non-o visa is 2000 baht and tourist visa is 1000 baht.

You need to make an appointment to apply for the visa.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could just do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply at immigration for the non-o visa.

The embassy in Vientiane will issue a non-o visa if you have financial proof but also require a police clearance and a medical certificate. You could apply for a single entry tourist visa there. With your history you would not need much more than the application form and a copy of your passport photo page and entry stamp for Laos.

I'd check with my local IO whether they issue in country Non-Os. I did and was given a flat "NO". Turning up with an exempt or tourist visa and being refused the Non-O would have implied another trip or a move to another province; expensive.

9 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

I'd check with my local IO whether they issue in country Non-Os. I did and was given a flat "NO". Turning up with an exempt or tourist visa and being refused the Non-O would have implied another trip or a move to another province; expensive.

Hi Momo,

Which was the local IO that refused to issue a 90-day Non Imm O Visa after having returned VE or on tourist-Visa?

Did you apply for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage?

In case of marriage some rogue IOs indeed try to dodge the extra paper-work it means for them.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Momo,

Which was the local IO that refused to issue a 90-day Non Imm O Visa after having returned VE or on tourist-Visa?

Did you apply for reason of retirement or for reason of marriage?

In case of marriage some rogue IOs indeed try to dodge the extra paper-work it means for them.

Didn't apply, but inquired. It was Buriram.

They may have a workload concern indeed.

I have a Non-OA seed with 5 consecutive  extensions for reason of marriage.

Question one: Do I need a Health Insurance?  "No, since your Visa and original entry predate 31/10/2019"

Question two: Can you issue a two month "Thai spouse" extension, if anything changes prior to my next extension? "Yes"

Question three: Can you issue a Non-O based on marriage if I reenter on "exempt" or some Tourist visa? "NO".

Have a nice day.

I have applied for my next extension for marriage early January. Went in with two sundry unpleasant new requirements. They didn't get back to me since, pickup is early March.

Edited by Momofarang

31 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Didn't apply, but inquired. It was Buriram.

They may have a workload concern indeed.

Question one: Do I need a Health Insurance?  "No, since your Visa and original entry predate 31/10/2019"

Question two: Can you issue a two month "Thai spouse" extension, if anything changes prior to my next extension? "Yes"

Question three: Can you issue a Non-O based on marriage if I reenter on "exempt" or some Tourist visa? "NO".

Have a nice day.

I have applied for my next extension for marriage early January. Went in with two sundry unpleasant new requirements. They didn't get back to me since, pickup is early March.

Why wouldn't you just go to Suvannakhet or HCMC and get a Non-O for marriage (single or multiple)?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

@ubonjoe Sounds like Vientiane might be easier than dealing with Chiang Mai. Do you have to go to Bangkok for a police clearance or can you get it done in CM? 

David

10 minutes ago, Genericnic said:

Sounds like Vientiane might be easier than dealing with Chiang Mai. Do you have to go to Bangkok for a police clearance or can you get it done in CM? 

It can only be done in Bangkok but you can mail in the application. I can take up to 30 days to get it though. 

See: http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/eng/  But they do have a button on the page that takes you this website for an agent that get it done for you quicker. https://www.a-plusservice.com/

No need for the police clearance or medical check in Savannakhet. But you do need proof you are retired that can be pension statement and etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ubonjoe thanks for the info.  I'll go ahead and make the appointment for Vientiane and apply for a Tourist Visa.  My Thai-American wife checked with Udon Thani IO yesterday when she did her 90 Day and was told this would be the best way to go as well.  She is also on an O-A visa but because she is a dual national (Thai-American) she does not have to jump through all the hoops.  Imm here in Udon Thani my wife that they can easily convert the Tourist Visa to an O visa.  The IO also mentioned that no health insurance required for O visa now but unsure of the future.  

I received the following from the US Embassy yesterday.

"The U.S. Embassy is aware there are a number of questions and concerns in response to the new health insurance mandate for those applying for, and extending, long-stay “OA” visas.

We are continuing to advocate with the Royal Thai Government on this issue.  Our main point of advocacy with the Ministry of Public Health and Office of the Insurance Commission is ensuring U.S. citizens can use their existing U.S. insurance to meet the minimum coverage requirements per the new mandate.  At the moment, however, Royal Thai Government policy only allows U.S. insurance as evidence during the initial application for an OA visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in the U.S.  Extensions of the OA visa for retirees already living in Thailand must be accompanied by evidence of health insurance from one of a number of Thailand-based companies."

16 hours ago, fdimike said:

At the moment, however, Royal Thai Government policy only allows U.S. insurance as evidence during the initial application for an OA visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. 

NOT TRUE, it must be accompanied by a Thai generated certificate signed by two directors of the insurance company, something that is not going to happen.  So once again the US Embassy doesn't have a clue because their visas don't require health  insurance so why do they think they know what Thai Embassies and Consulates overseas require !

It's not like showing a pay stub or bank / brokerage statement to prove sufficient income.  How many could provide those if they required signatures from your broker or banker?

This hackneyed expression comes to mind when thinking about the US  Embassy in Bangkok;

Trust me I'm with the government   

10 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

NOT TRUE, it must be accompanied by a Thai generated certificate signed by two directors of the insurance company, something that is not going to happen. 

I think director is an error in translation or the definition of director used. 

From wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_(business)

"A director is a person from a group of managers who leads or supervises a particular area of a company.[1] Companies that use this term often have many directors spread throughout different business functions or roles (e.g. director of human resources).[2] The director usually reports directly to a vice president or to the CEO directly in order to let them know the progress of the organization. Large organizations also sometimes have assistant directors or deputy directors."

Many people seem to be misinterpreting as being a member of the board of directors for a company.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think director is an error in translation or the definition of director used. 

Lost in Translation is the title of a movie, not the way we are supposed to follow instructions from the Thai Government

But language aside,  the US Embassy is wrong,  you have to have something signed by someone in Thailand to satisfy the mandatory health insurance when applying for an O-A Visa in you home country;  not just an insurance policy

34 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Lost in Translation is the title of a movie, not the way we are supposed to follow instructions from the Thai Government

Actually many translations are not all that accurate. You will find that often the word used is not exactly correct due to the translator using the most common word used.

A good example is pension when used in a police order.

39 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

But language aside,  the US Embassy is wrong,  you have to have something signed by someone in Thailand to satisfy the mandatory health insurance when applying for an O-A Visa in you home country;  not just an insurance policy

Do you mean the Thai embassy in Washington DC or the US embassy here?

The Thai embassy states this. 

"8.2. Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form"

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

langsuan I believe you're incorrect.  I downloaded the form and sent it to my insurance company in the US (TRICARE in my case) for them to complete.  Apparently the form can only be used when making an initial application for an O-A visa from your home country.  The form is printed in English by the Thai Ministry of Public Health.  It is not a translation.  I realize now it will not help me extend my O-A visa.

the following from the Royal Thai Embassy Washington DC.

"The applicants must submit the following:

8.1. Health insurance policy document issued by a Thai or foreign insurance company, stating that the applicant is medically insured for the period and with coverage as mentioned above:

(a) In case of a foreign insurance company, the applicant must submit the original insurance policy document with 2 copies;

(b) In case of a Thai insurance company, the applicant must submit 2 copies of the insurance policy document or, if available, the original insurance policy document with 2 copies. A list of Thai insurance companies participating in the scheme can be found here: http://longstay.tgia.org

8.2. Foreign Insurance Certificate as stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and Health Insurance of Thailand, which must be completed, signed and stamped by the insurance company. The form can be downloaded here: Foreign Insurance Certificate Form"

15 hours ago, fdimike said:

I downloaded the form and sent it to my insurance company in the US (TRICARE in my case) for them to complete.

The only question I have is did the "tri care" insurance company fill it out ? 

So far I have only heard of one foreign insurance company signing the form, and that was from Germany

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you mean the Thai embassy in Washington DC or the US embassy here?

I meant that the US Embassy here was incorrect 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:19 AM, Langsuan Man said:

NOT TRUE, it must be accompanied by a Thai generated certificate signed by two directors of the insurance company, something that is not going to happen.  So once again the US Embassy doesn't have a clue because their visas don't require health  insurance so why do they think they know what Thai Embassies and Consulates overseas require !

On 1/25/2020 at 10:13 AM, Momofarang said:

I don't understand why you want a Non Imm O Visa? Marriage extensions emanating from a Non Imm O-A visa -- which you stated is your situation -- have  been accepted without the insurance requirement.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 2:47 AM, fdimike said:

I am 74y/o and have been here on an O-A visa since 2005.  However, I would like to convert my current O-A vias to an O if possible.  I have met the financial requirements with a monthly direct deposit.  Unfortunately, Thai Immigration will not accept my Tricare Military health insurance for renewing my O-A visa.  I live in Udon Thani and am contemplating going to Vientiane by bicycle (returning the same way) to obtain a return Tourist Visa which i will convert to an O visa once here.  Can someone offer some advice regarding obtaining a Tourist Visa from the Thai Embassy in Vietiane please?  I need to know the following:

2.  Documents required

3.  Cost

Thanks in advance.

Interesting that you bring up Tri Care which many US expats ex military may have.  My current insurance plan would cover me in Thailand although I would be billed at "out of network" prices.  And I am sure there are many many types of insurance that many retirees may have that would be similar.  So they would have reasonable coverage from their own point of view, but not acceptable by the Thais.   Now the USA is a bit different in that most if not many retirees over 65 will switch to Medicare and that basically does nothing for a person in Thailand.  But it would be painful and on the surface stupid to have to be paying for two insurance policies, since Medicare with supplements will be being paid even while overseas in Thailand.  USA penalizes people quite a bit with higher premiums if they don't pay the supplements when first eligible.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:34 PM, fdimike said:

My Thai-American wife checked with Udon Thani IO yesterday when she did her 90 Day and was told this would be the best way to go as well.  She is also on an O-A visa but because she is a dual national (Thai-American) she does not have to jump through all the hoops.  Imm here in Udon Thani my wife that they can easily convert the Tourist Visa to an O visa.  The IO also mentioned that no health insurance required for O visa now but unsure of the future.  

Just curious why your wife does all this? If she is dual-national, does she not have both U.S. and Thai passports? I believe she can avoid all the visa issues if she enters the country on her Thai PP.  My wife is in the same situation. 

On 1/25/2020 at 8:48 AM, ubonjoe said:

Could you describe what is involved to get the police clearance and a medical certificate? And how long would it take to get the police clearance? 

I am interested in the 12-month non-O ME marriage visa.  It seems like Savannakhet is the simplest to deal with, but a bit of a chore to get to from BKK.  Vientiane is easier to reach (direct flight?) with just a bit more paperwork required.

Thank you

20 minutes ago, USNret said:

Could you describe what is involved to get the police clearance and a medical certificate? And how long would it take to get the police clearance? 

That is only required if applying for a non-o visa for being 50 for retirement at Vientiane. You can single entry non-o visa based upon marriage without it in Vientiane (they do not issue multiple entry visas).

20 minutes ago, USNret said:

I am interested in the 12-month non-O ME marriage visa.  It seems like Savannakhet is the simplest to deal with, but a bit of a chore to get to from BKK.  Vientiane is easier to reach (direct flight?) with just a bit more paperwork required.

Not that hard to travel to Savannakhet by using the fly/ride service from Don Muang to Mukdahan by Nok Air or Air Asia and then cross the bridge to Savannakhet.

• Like 1