Thai protesters demand action as air pollution clouds Bangkok

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

How is it possible that some greedy farmers are allowed to pollute and intoxicate nearly all of Thailands population ... and the government does nothing against it except " propositions on how to tackle the problem " . The burning goes on for years already , people get sick and fed up because of that .

May be instead of paying billions for useless submarines and other military gadgets , they should finance some sugarcane harvesters for every province that are used by all sugar cane plantations , one after the other ...?

A government that does not protect the people from the easily avoidable smog that is caused by the burning , is not worth to be named " government " , because it does not do what it should do .

They are so concerned about ' losing their face ' ... do they ever reckon how much of their precious ' face ' is lost due to their incompetence ...?

No it's not incompetence, it's greed. ????????????

46 minutes ago, 30la said:

Here the air has improved, still unbreathable but according to my app about 60 points below yesterday's level, at the moment "only" 97 microns 2.5!

Only 97? Wow, that's fantastic! ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I see a solution .. But it will not please you ..
We put all the "greedy farmers" in prison or better put them against a wall to shoot them.

Except that your "greedy farmers" do not only grow sugar cane but also rice and vegetables and fruits (full to the brim with pesticides, I know).
It doesn't matter, does it? (May pen rai), you will replace them 10 or 12 hours a day under a scorching sun if you want to eat.

Do you like it as a solution? 

In this topic we talk about air pollution caused by the burning of sugar cane .

We do not talk about rice or fruit farmers , as fruit farmers do not burn their trees after the harvest ... do they ...?

Apprenez a lire , mon cher monsieur ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

In this topic we talk about air pollution caused by the burning of sugar cane .

We do not talk about rice or fruit farmers

Learn to understand how the world of rurality in Thailand works.
I have lived there for 14 years, 365 days a year.

Farmers who have cane and burn it cane because they have small areas of cane as well as small areas of sticky rice (about 70%) and white rice (the rest 30%) for personal consumption ; they sell none or very little to wholesalers;
and they also have vegetable gardens and orchards and sometimes one or two large water holes to eat fish ...

So if you ask them to stop burning their canes and their rice fields, they will answer you;
" A panni problem " ( it's creole language ), you come to cut the cane with your little muscular arms under a scorching sun and if a scorpion or a snake bites you, you shut your mouth and you don't cry ..

Or else you are rich and you do not know what to do with your gold, and you buy from them the materials necessary for cutting cane;
has about 5 to 6 million baht per device plus the big tractors with the clamps that go well with ...

Come take a tour in Isaan you will see that even in the "rich" villages there is still very little mechanization;
some tractors of 34 CV, rare harvesters and still many tillers from 10 to 14 CV;
and unfortunately none agricultural workers to work in the fields because they left for Taiwan or Japan or Israel to pick up oranges 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I see a solution .. But it will not please you ..
We put all the "greedy farmers" in prison or better put them against a wall to shoot them.

Except that your "greedy farmers" do not only grow sugar cane but also rice and vegetables and fruits (full to the brim with pesticides, I know).
It doesn't matter, does it? (May pen rai), you will replace them 10 or 12 hours a day under a scorching sun if you want to eat.

Do you like it as a solution? 

What a ridiculous assertion. Reductio ad absurdum only makes you look absurd. Do all countries in the world burn sugar cane as a mode of harvest? In any case, given the current account surplus, Thailand can always import.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

So if you ask them to stop burning their canes and their rice fields, they will answer you;
" A panni problem " ( it's creole language ), you come to cut the cane with your little muscular arms under a scorching sun and if a scorpion or a snake bites you, you shut your mouth and you don't cry ..

I say it again : the government should invest in mechanical sugar cane harvesters , that should be supplied to every province and go from farm to farm , one after another , to do the harvesting without producing toxic smoke .

That would certainly be a better investment for the country than submarines ... got it ?

You say : " So if you ask them to stop burning their canes and their rice fields, they will answer you;
" A panni problem " ( it's creole language ), " .... ?

AFAIK thai farmers do not speak ' creole ' ...

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

I say it again : the government should invest

" should " But it doesn't; look at hotchilli's answer above

8 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

AFAIK thai farmers do not speak ' creole ' ..

but me  I speak it a little bit