Thai protesters demand action as air pollution clouds Bangkok

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

It's a lovely clear day in Ratchayothin, northern Bangkok, today. The birds are tweeting merrily in the luxuriant trees, the happy population are going about their merry way, the distant rumble of the pristine new sky train assures us of progress, and the local school children, including my own, are gamboling outside gleefully before further important lessons are imparted. 

All is wonderful in paradise. 

Just don't buy a PM2.5 meter. Ignorance is bliss. Until you cough your lungs out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I thought for a moment that it was written by Yinn; ( excellent english, nope , it's not possible )
in any case, it is the extra good herb that you smoke ...:cheesy:

Nah, though Mrs R put some wild mushrooms she picked in the "gaeng het" this morning. 

Rooster

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Just don't buy a PM2.5 meter. Ignorance is bliss. Until you cough your lungs out.

Anyone who lived through the construction boom and green buses of the 1990's would say that today's pollution is a mere bagatelle in comparison. 

Besides I always smell the roses.

Rooster

5 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Anyone who lived through the construction boom and green buses of the 1990's would say that today's pollution is a mere bagatelle in comparison. 

Besides I always smell the roses.

Well that's probably because they lived through. How many didn't?

Roses are cool, just remember to shake them first to get the dust particles out and wait before sniffing (through a mask, preferably).

The glass ain't half full or half empty. In here, it's got a hole in the bottom.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Roses are cool, just remember to shake them first to get the dust particles out and wait before sniffing (through a mask, preferably).

The glass ain't half full or half empty. In here, it's got a hole in the bottom.

Which is why I always have two glasses, the second to catch the drips.

Why so grumpy this week or is it a permanent condition?

Rooster

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Are you sure you're not thinking about the hole in the elephant's bottom?

6 hours ago, BimBoon said:

Dozens? Not exactly a big turn out. The irony being most of them will either have family or themselves burn trash. 

The real irony is that you somehow imagine everyone in Thailand burn their rubbish

and no one cares about the environment, you really need to get out and away from

this site to get a more sensible outlook on life.

8 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

The real irony is that you somehow imagine everyone in Thailand burn their rubbish

and no one cares about the environment, you really need to get out and away from

this site to get a more sensible outlook on life.

Wise words indeed. "This site!". 

5 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Breathing clean air is OVERRATED!!!   Brain issues, allergies, lung problems, early death, lifelong issues..... what's not to like??!!!!

all for Pattaya.  and then you get AIDS and we all have a good laugh.

toxic air but 20 baht noodle soup.  sounds like paradise.  

expats in Thailand really are the dumbest lot of the bunch.  they have no idea pollution is bad for them????!?!?!?!?!!  

Don't worry, this year will be different.  

I never know if these type of posts are parody or the oncoming freight train of dementia or a mix of both ?????!!!!!

Start with this.

All Mc/ Scooters must have engine start/stop. And set a date where all cars also need to have this future.

Stop all cars immediately where black smoke comes out, no need for some damn test. Jesus

All cars that have even numbers can drive on only even dates. Electric, lpg,cng only vehicles can drive inside town whenever.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sead said:

Start with this.

All Mc/ Scooters must have engine start/stop. And set a date where all cars also need to have this future.

Stop all cars immediately where black smoke comes out, no need for some damn test. Jesus

All cars that have even numbers can drive on only even dates. Electric, lpg,cng only vehicles can drive inside town whenever.

I don't start drinking until at least 6pm - you're dreaming I'm afraid. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Well, they don’t want to lose the votes.  Remember that Over 50% of the population lives in rural areas. And frankly these people don’t give a &$@? what happens in Bangkok.  Also, they lack the education and understanding regarding the danger they are doing to themselves ... they have been doing this way since the year get go.

And the money to buy the equipment to harvest the cane

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

In this topic we talk about air pollution caused by the burning of sugar cane .

We do not talk about rice or fruit farmers , as fruit farmers do not burn their trees after the harvest ... do they ...?

Apprenez a lire , mon cher monsieur ...

But some of the rice farmers burn the stubble off their fields

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morty T said:

I always wonder who these protest are targeting, all the signs are in English. I live in a pretty affluent area and the majority of my neighbors can hardly speak English, never mind read it. 

Perhaps they're expecting the foreign press will report it, hoping to embarass the government into action?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sead said:

Start with this.

Find a way to get a noisy exhaust on electric cars you'll make your fortune.

• Haha 2

On 1/23/2020 at 7:47 AM, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said healthy people such as himself could manage and those in risky groups should be aware of their tolerance levels and wear masks

He is right.  He probably rides around in an air-conditioned car, has a/c in all rooms in his office and home, uses an air-filtration/purifier system, and on and on, while people not so privileged can wear masks.  High quality masks available in the west, such as the Cambridge military quality level mask in the UK cannot be found in Thailand.

'nuf sed

On 1/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, Titan1962 said:

First thing they need to do is tackle the farmers and the burn offs,this is the major contribution to the bad air quality.Taking into count  that for 7 to 8 months of the year the air quality is acceptable. It’s only when the farmers  start their <deleted> it gets really unhealthy.

Next thing would be to tackle the trucks and buses,and other forms of public transport. Start looking at electric tuk tuks etc.

Then start on private vehicles,cars,pickups,and motorcycles over ten years old need to pass strict emission controls before the rego is allowed to be renewed.

It will not be a quick fix,but you need to start in the right place,private vehicles are not the main contributor to the bad air quality. 

In actual fact the vehicle is not necessarily the problem. I believe that all public transport is running on natural gas which a heck of lot cleaner than anywhere in the west where they still run diesel or gas burning transport. True several of the undergrounds run on electricity as does Thailands but the big difference is a major portion of the Thailand infrastructure runs on Natural gas as well which is why the oilfield here is so critical in maintaining the production of natural gas from the gulf of Thailand.  

Educationg the provinces of the damages to future generations health is required to gain an understanding and hopefully a commitment from them in support of no burn. It would be a much larger benefit if it was also subsidized by the government.