A2 English test

My wife will be applying for her first FLR visa later in the year, and was wondering if anyone had any experience of the A2 English test? We will be visiting Thailand in April and would like her to take this test whilst there. Her English is still at a basic level which is why we're going for A2 and not B1.

Regards

Guemlum

The initial English test if you get married in Thailand is harder as two candidates have to chat together as part of the test. IMHO the test in the UK was much easier in the UK. The test is six minutes long and my wife was in and out in less than 15 minutes. 

The A2 was similar and I would suggest that your wife takes it in the UK.

I took a flyer on my wife's test and we applied for B1 and I was a little surprised when she passed. Very pleased too.

Here is a link to some A2 test videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trinity+college+a2+test

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Guemlum said:

Apologies for the late reply guys. Many thanks. I think I’ll get her booked here in the UK ASAP.

regards

guemlum

Good luck!  In the UK you can choose between IELTS Life Skills (like she did for A1 in Bangkok) or Trinity.  As Rasg says, the Trinity test is quicker and generally considered easier than Life Skills.

My wife jumped straight from A1 to B1 at Trinity for her FLR application and passed with distinction.  I think 2.5 years of living in the UK with a British partner should make the tests quite easy. The test was very straightforward.  Good luck.

On 1/25/2020 at 5:41 PM, rasg said:

The initial English test if you get married in Thailand is harder as two candidates have to chat together as part of the test. IMHO the test in the UK was much easier in the UK. The test is six minutes long and my wife was in and out in less than 15 minutes. 

I have to agree. After my wife explained what happened in her A1 test in BKK we thought she passed. Sadly she didn't, we told a few friends and it was claimed a lot of Thais in their social circles had experienced the same. It was recommended to her to take the test in the UK. Three months later she was here for a holiday, she took the test at Trinity and passed. It has been suggested to me by others that the passing maybe considered easier in the UK because those marking the test in the UK have a "more realistic view" of use of the English language compared to those in BKK

4 hours ago, isnakebite said:

I have to agree. After my wife explained what happened in her A1 test in BKK we thought she passed. Sadly she didn't, we told a few friends and it was claimed a lot of Thais in their social circles had experienced the same. It was recommended to her to take the test in the UK. Three months later she was here for a holiday, she took the test at Trinity and passed. It has been suggested to me by others that the passing maybe considered easier in the UK because those marking the test in the UK have a "more realistic view" of use of the English language compared to those in BKK

You'll find the Examiners employed in Thailand for Life Skills testing are trained in exactly the same way as those employed in the UK!  Where you are right, however, is that the Trinity test is easier than the IELTS Life Skills test.  Candidates in the UK can choose between Trinity or IELTS Life Skills.  UKVI (in their wisdom) decided to give IELTS an exclusive licence for testing outside the UK.   In the Trinity test the candidate is tested on their own; for Life Skills there are two candidates tested together.

Unlike the Trinity test, the Life Skills test is not just testing the candidates' English language skills. The ability to interact with the other candidate and the examiner is also assessed. Candidates who are very nervous (e.g. do not make eye contact, smile), do not "take turns" or show polite interaction skills can get a lower score. Also the 3 Listening test questions in Life Skills are very important.  Some candidates misunderstand the instructions or don't make notes during the Listening, and therefore give the wrong answers.  Getting all 3 Listening questions wrong makes it difficult to pass.

A cynic might suggest that UKVI have deliberately made the test more difficult for those applying from outside the UK!  

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

If you watch the tests on the Trinity feed on Youtube, you will see how low key the A1 test is. Essentially a six minute chat are pretty easy for a candidate who has the basics. I was worried about my wife's pronunciation but it wasn't a problem. She jumped from A1 to B1 and again I was worried by her pronunciation. It wasn't a problem and she passed.

The CEFR test was invented to test mainly Thai English teachers in the beginning.

I'm often using the website to test my kids at school. The fantastic part of it is, that it's free.

The CEFR test consists of A 1 to A 2 level, then B 1 to B 2 and finally the higher levels, the C 1 and C2 level, where C2 is considered the master level.

You have all listening, grammar, sentence structure, etc.. for free. Just go to the main website and you can test your own level of English.

The website with the listening and grammar test/ vocabulary is here: Click here to see which exams are at which CEFR levels.

https://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php

Let your wife do the test and you'll see what level she should go for.

I'd have thought that starting at A 1 would be the best. Once she knows all answers, she can start with A 2. 

Here's A 2 level: ( Just Google any level you're interested in)

https://www.examenglish.com/A2/index.php

A 2 is waystage, or elementary English. 

It's a great website to learn  English. And you can send the result via e-mail to yourself, or somebody else at the end of the test.

If you go for the test, you'll see that the questions will change to more difficult depending on how you answer them. 

All A 2 assignments: https://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/A2.htm

24 minutes ago, rasg said:

Interesting. Thanks for the information.

If you watch the tests on the Trinity feed on Youtube, you will see how low key the A1 test is. Essentially a six minute chat are pretty easy for a candidate who has the basics. I was worried about my wife's pronunciation but it wasn't a problem. She jumped from A1 to B1 and again I was worried by her pronunciation. It wasn't a problem and she passed.

A 1 is the beginner level!

13 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

The CEFR test was invented to test mainly Thai English teachers in the beginning.

I'm often using the website to test my kids at school. The fantastic part of it is, that it's free.

The CEFR test consists of A 1 to A 2 level, then B 1 to B 2 and finally the higher levels, the C 1 and C2 level, where C2 is considered the master level.

You have all listening, grammar, sentence structure, etc.. for free. Just go to the main website and you can test your own level of English.

The website with the listening and grammar test/ vocabulary is here: Click here to see which exams are at which CEFR levels.

https://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/cefr.php

Let your wife do the test and you'll see what level she should go for.

I'd have thought that starting at A 1 would be the best. Once she knows all answers, she can start with A 2. 

Here's A 2 level: ( Just Google any level you're interested in)

https://www.examenglish.com/A2/index.php

A 2 is waystage, or elementary English. 

It's a great website to learn  English. And you can send the result via e-mail to yourself, or somebody else at the end of the test.

If you go for the test, you'll see that the questions will change to more difficult depending on how you answer them. 

All A 2 assignments: https://www.examenglish.com/CEFR/A2.htm

It's important to note that CEFR just signifies the level of the test.  I can't comment on the Trinity tests, but as I describe in my post above, the IELTS Life Skills tests at A1, A2 and B1 level are very different to those on the links you have given.  

This link provides links to practice tests for the IELTS Life Skills tests.

https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/ielts-for-migration/united-kingdom/ielts-life-skills

• 1 month later...

My missus jumped straight to B1 after some encouragement from me. She found it quite easy once she sat down with the examiner before she went in she was nervous as hell 

If you wife can hold a conversation with someone who has never been to Thailand and be understood she shouldn't worry 

Archived