Will this be the last generation ?

georgegeorgia

11 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Yes they will, but it will be in far lesser numbers, but think again about what Thai immigration will be doing to us in say about twenty years from now.

I'll be dead in 5-10 years, no need for me to ever worry about 20 years from now.

• Sad 2

It's curtains for this place...tanking slow progressive mass exodus like coronavirus except slow and steady with no reversal...the word is long been out, ELysium is over.  No more here, time to move on...

Edited by mike787

21 hours ago, TimBKK said:

What places are on your list, if you don't mind saying?

I will get my pension in Euros (AKA: Mickey Mouse currency, thanks to Mr. Draghi), this means that I have to retire in the Eurozone, so southern Spain and also the Canary Islands are the most possible retirement spots. My only concern is that those {deleted} eco facists gain the same power in Spain as they already have in my country.

Edited by Peterbilt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 9:09 AM, maprao said:

South of Spain is cheaper by far. Especially if you drink good red wine. Apartments are the same price as Pattaya.

Go to a Spanish supermarket and do a monthly shop. Your bill will be noticably more expensive than the UK, meat prices are horrendous. Same goes for most other items in Spain. Red wine and tomatoes cheaper, the rest not so much. More expensive to live in Spain than the UK.

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'll be dead in 5-10 years, no need for me to ever worry about 20 years from now.

Ever the optimist! I appreciate your honesty and bluntness in your postings though.

I'd still like to retire in a warm climate and a comment of yours in another thread surprised me about pensions not being frozen in the Philippines. I'll just wait and see what the world is like in 25 years time and start making my decision then.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Go to a Spanish supermarket and do a monthly shop. Your bill will be noticably more expensive than the UK, meat prices are horrendous. Same goes for most other items in Spain. Red wine and tomatoes cheaper, the rest not so much. More expensive to live in Spain than the UK.

Numbeo disagrees with you noticeably. 

You would need around 5,498.67€ (4,637.01£) in London to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 3,300.00€ in Madrid (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Numbeo disagrees with you noticeably. 

You would need around 5,498.67€ (4,637.01£) in London to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 3,300.00€ in Madrid (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living.

Up to Numbeo. I have never lived in Madrid or London. However, my in laws live in S.E. Spain having previously lived in Scarborough. My best friend owns/part owns 2 villas in S.E. Spain and hails from a resort town in NW England as I do.. My father was born in SE Spain. We all unanimously maintain that an average shop in a supermarket in Spain will set you back noticably more than an equivalent shop in Northern England.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Up to Numbeo. I have never lived in Madrid or London. However, my in laws live in S.E. Spain having previously lived in Scarborough. My best friend owns/part owns 2 villas in S.E. Spain and hails from a resort town in NW England as I do.. My father was born in SE Spain. We all unanimously maintain that an average shop in a supermarket in Spain will set you back noticably more than an equivalent shop in Northern England.

While not deadly accurate, of all the cities I have lived in, Numbeo has been pretty accurate. And it is not like we are talking small percentages here. Close to 60 percent. And while I have not lived in Spain, I would find it hard to believe that Madrid is more expensive than London for pretty much anything.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/madrid/london Cost of living in London is 66% more expensive than in Madrid

A different link just to push home the point. ????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rhodie said:

While not deadly accurate, of all the cities I have lived in, Numbeo has been pretty accurate. And it is not like we are talking small percentages here. Close to 60 percent. And while I have not lived in Spain, I would find it hard to believe that Madrid is more expensive than London for pretty much anything.

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/madrid/london Cost of living in London is 66% more expensive than in Madrid

A different link just to push home the point. ????

When, in this thread, has anyone mentioned Madrid and London? Apples and oranges.

On 1/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, spidermike007 said:

If the government does not come up with some progressive and effective ways of dealing with the air quality, and traffic safety on the increasingly congested roads, not only will most ex-pats leave, but alot of Thais will join them. 

Agree with this 100%.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

hi possum,  how's the dog  ... has he stopped crying

Yes Steven, she, note she, was fine last night, she's only a pup, and it seems it was my fault, for letting her sleep on my knee, then putting her in her cage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

When, in this thread, has anyone mentioned Madrid and London? Apples and oranges.

You must have a masters in deflection. I am comparing apples with apples. Give me the towns and I will do the research for you. ????

There is no way Spain is more expensive than England when comparing apples to apples as I have done showing London and Madrid. I think you are the one throwing the Oranges. ????

2 minutes ago, rhodie said:

You must have a masters in deflection. I am comparing apples with apples. Give me the towns and I will do the research for you. ????

There is no way Spain is more expensive than England when comparing apples to apples as I have done showing London and Madrid. I think you are the one throwing the Oranges. ????

Try Costa del Sol/ Costa Blanca (where the vast majority of expats live) and a costal resort in Northern England. London is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in. Madrid, not so much. How many expats in Madrid? As i said apples and oranges.

5 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Try Costa del Sol/ Costa Blanca (where the vast majority of expats live) and a costal resort in Northern England. London is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in. Madrid, not so much. How many expats in Madrid? As i said apples and oranges.

Here ya go. Any way you cut it I doubt anyone believes it's cheaper in the UK than Spain.

You would need around 2,243.90£ (2,660.86€) in Malaga to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 2,700.00£ in Blackpool (assuming you rent in both cities).

Those interested in birds will continue to head to SE Asia and the Phillipines. However, there are many more destinations opening up for a good retirement life, whether in Europe (Portugal/Spain), Central and South America, and SE Asia. In 20 years...who knows what factors will elevate one country over another.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most of us didn't lose the desire for female companionship just because we got old, and the idea of making woopee with someone that looks like my granny did before she died makes me nauseous.

I won't claim I've 'lost the desire' for young females at my advanced age of 64, but the desire for beer and cannabis now seems more overwhelming.

Can't say I've ever thought of banging granny (or granddad for that matter).

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I won't claim I've 'lost the desire' for young females at my advanced age of 64, but the desire for beer and cannabis now seems more overwhelming.

Can't say I've ever thought of banging granny (or granddad for that matter).

Back in the west now, my only option for sex is grannies. I've become celibate in preference as that would be a step way too far for me to contemplate.

• Haha 1