Farmers burning sugarcane face additional fees for milling their crop

webfact

Given most Thai are pretty resourceful, I would expect any extra fee for "burnt cane" would very quickly burn out given most would realise, cut it green, then burn the thrash in the paddock.

Same as happens in many instances in Aus.

Fine for those who say"plough it back in to the ground" but if one considers dust to dust effect, there are many things used to get this trash back into the ground.

Fuel, oils, new tractors, new ploughs ( old draught horses too slow and greenies won't let anyone cut a tree down to build a plough these days)

and the time.

A match does it in no time.

Edited by bluejets
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think I saw in my newsfeed from The Bangkok Post that last year the government passed a bill allowing only an allotment of 20 percent burned sugarcane for milling. And that just this past November the cabinet decided to increase it to 50 percent. Perfect timing!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Sugarcane growers, who burn their crops before harvesting, will be charged 30 baht/tonne for the burnt sugarcane delivered to sugar mills, while the mills will be levied 12 baht/tonne for accepting burnt cane exceeding the set limits.

Charge them to make extra money instead of prosecuting them, the Thai solution to all things !

And who's going to do the checks at the mills?

• Like 1

Can  just  imagine the Thai inspector...........owner,  so  youre  the new inspector, you see that burnt  sugar  cane  arriving......it  isnt is  it? 1000 baht................. but maybe  one of them is a bit stricter.....ok 2000 baht................ok  final  offer  ,  pulls out  gun waves machete............... inspector.........what  burnt sugar sir?

The burning of sugar cane and the air pollution and damage to the environment it causes is a hidden production cost which up until now society has borne. It's great that this practice is being eliminated, but expecting the farmer to shoulder the additional production costs that come from harvesting without burning is completely unreasonable. The farmer has to be compensated for these higher costs which will ultimately mean higher consumer prices for sugar.

Edit: Speaking for myself, I would happily pay a higher price for sugar if it meant breathing cleaner air.

Edited by Gecko123

From my personal point of view,  and I was going that way anyway if the burning continues and affects the areas I want to be in I will be spending as little as possible/no time there in the future. My wife will spend quality time with her family , largely indoors and with the air purifier on. The smoke situation has finally made the should I / shouldn't I dilemna a very easy one. Life's too short to spend the time choking on the air if you have a choice. 

5 hours ago, 30la said:

It will end as always, a "small" offer to the right person and the fine is buried.

nah,  sugar  price  will  go  up  on the shelves to cover it............in effect no change except  price increase, 40  baht a ton is  peanuts

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

I thought this was mainly about ethanol? 

yeah  i  feel  all environmentally friendly  now when i  fill  up.................shame  all that  pollution offsets it  by  a  mile. Environmentally nuts.as  usual

The fees will be charged by the Sugarcane and Sugar Committee’s Office and paid to farmers who do not burn their crops, as an incentive to continue the practice.

During the 2018-19 sugarcane harvest season, about 20 million tonnes, or 49.1% of all the cane that were sent to sugar mills was burnt.

It's a step in the right direction to use economy, but it's a question if the fee is high enough...

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

At a raw cane price of about 800 Baht per tonne (latest price I could find) a total levy of 42 Baht per tonne for burnt cane  = about 5%.

How much is saved by a farmer burning the sugar cane, instead of using labor to cut it?

If a penalty fee shall make sense, it shall be a benefit not to burn it...:thumbsup: