Farmers burning sugarcane face additional fees for milling their crop

webfact

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

It's a step in the right direction to use economy, but it's a question if the fee is high enough...

How much is saved by a farmer burning the sugar cane, instead of using labor to cut it?

If a penalty fee shall make sense, it shall be a benefit not to burn it...:thumbsup:

The cane is burnt for other reasons than the cost of labour.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ben2talk said:

The solution is to force cooperation and investment in harvesting machines. The government could even buy a few and offer them on a hire basis...

Harvesting machines according to my wife is in fact the cheapest option but the machine owners demand that the farmer pays for any repairs needed when the machine is damaged by encounters with stumps and roots left in the ground.Remove the wood I say to my wife to which my wife's reply is a blank look of don't be so ludicrous.

4 hours ago, emptypockets said:

The cane is burnt for other reasons than the cost of labour.

Thanks, that might be, but I'm referring to a recent article in the news section said that labor costs cutting the sugarcane was the reason for burning, and that about half of the nations sugarcane is burned; the OP-article states »During the 2018-19 sugarcane harvest season, about 20 million tonnes, or 49.1% of all the cane that were sent to sugar mills was burnt.«

I'm not a farmer, so I cannot judge if the news are writing facts or not.

This is one of the articles talking about economy as reason for burning...

–And this one said »Owners of sugarcane plantations have always claimed that they cannot afford the costs of hiring workers to cut the plants and have to resort to burning, which will make the cutting of the canes much easier and save cost.«...

If the government is serious about solving the pollution problem they would ban the buying and selling of 'burnt' sugar cane; they would arrest anyone buying or attempting to sell 'burnt' sugarcane; they would enforce existing laws; they would supply shredding machines to dispose of waste vegetation.   The only thing the government is serious about is increasing their personal bank accounts!

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:56 PM, khunPer said:

Thanks, that might be, but I'm referring to a recent article in the news section said that labor costs cutting the sugarcane was the reason for burning, and that about half of the nations sugarcane is burned; the OP-article states »During the 2018-19 sugarcane harvest season, about 20 million tonnes, or 49.1% of all the cane that were sent to sugar mills was burnt.«

I'm not a farmer, so I cannot judge if the news are writing facts or not.

This is one of the articles talking about economy as reason for burning...

–And this one said »Owners of sugarcane plantations have always claimed that they cannot afford the costs of hiring workers to cut the plants and have to resort to burning, which will make the cutting of the canes much easier and save cost.«...

It is not only the cost of labour it is nowadays finding labour ,most cutters are Cambodian or Burmese,and some Isan rice farmers ,in my area  it getting more difficult to find cutters every year ,and they do  make more money cutting bunt cane than unburnt cane.

In my area they is more machin cut cane ,but with machine cut cane they is less weight on a truck ,so in the long term it means more trucks  huailing cane so more truck  pollution,you can not win. 

FYI our local mill has for a lot of years now paid a lower price for burnt cane ,burning drys the cane ,so they is a lower sugar content ,so a lower price .