WHO says 'bit too early' to declare coronavirus a global emergency

webfact

11 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

... I think we should be glad that the WHO exists, and the next time you hear someone going on about the UN, remind them that germs and virus' do not respect national borders; there is a global need for some global agencies.

I have chosen to respond to only the redacted part of your post above solely for interests of brevity and not in any way to argue against or disagree with your well made points based on your experience with the UN.

However, when it comes to global entities that label themselves 'World' something or other, be it health, wildlife or bank, I have my doubts over their altruism. I am not in thrall of them at all. This also extends to global entities that use 'International', 'United' as well as 'Organization' in their monikers. I don't subscribe fully to this aura that they only care and look out for humanity's best interests all the time.

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I am sure the WHO have never thouhht of this when announcing numbers. I presume most have them from SARS MERS and the alike.

Just in the other thread from UK, takes 24 hours to get test results. That tells me the samples are being sent to some laboratory where they are being processed. Not your average kitchenware equipment, I think.

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Just in the other thread from UK, takes 24 hours to get test results. That tells me the samples are being sent to some laboratory where they are being processed. Not your average kitchenware equipment, I think.

How do you know how long they took here? Have they even said they are doing them here? Just seems your searching for a stick to beat Thailand with. 

Why dont you give the WHO a ring and report you suspicions?

Just now, smutcakes said:

How do you know how long they took here? Have they even said they are doing them here?

That's what I'm trying to find out. Where exactly are the labs with the capabilities. I would suspect the Army has one somewhere and should be a few research facilities in BKK. Were they used or did they just spurt out news just to say something, as usual? Where are the actual reports?

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Found it: https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus/laboratory-diagnostics-for-novel-coronavirus

You'll need a lab with rRT-PCR capabilities. Who has them?

The Etiology s known and has been used for years

rRT-PCR capabilities

Th real risk with suggestion that RNA can modify and if human to human transmission occurs .

At present morbidity like most respiratory/pulmonary issues culls the weakest .

I think the WHO and rest of uswwill have a clearer picture after Chinese New Year is over and symptoms which my take a week for patients to present.Alas it may be too late .

A vaccine is unlikley within a year according to those familair with SAR MERS etc

Whie the PLA can do whatever it takes unrestrained by a leadership accountable to anybody  to lockdown cities, hard to imagine Bangkok enforcing order let alone the mega cities of Indian Pakistan or Indonesia where this will inevitably spread.

As a species if we are lucky we may survive this one. I hope those who can build a hospital in Wuhan in 6 days are availble to fix my wall , my builder was due round 26 Dec 2018 !

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-019-6774-5/figures/1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6722858/

Edited by RubbaJohnny
links