Biden leads, while others gain momentum in bid for 2020 nomination, poll shows

webfact

Biden leads, while others gain momentum in bid for 2020 nomination, poll shows

By Chris Kahn

2020-01-23T223602Z_1_LYNXMPEG0M2E0_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden speaks at a campaign event at the VFW Post 7920 in Osage, Iowa, U.S., January 22, 2020. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Former Vice President Joe Biden leads other candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination, while several others appeared to be gaining momentum in their bid for the White House, according to a Reuters/Ipsos national opinion poll released on Thursday.

The Jan. 22-23 online poll showed that 24% of registered Democrats and independents supported Biden, while 20% backed U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders and 12% said they would vote for U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Another 10% supported former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, 7% picked former Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana and 3% backed U.S. Senator Amy Klobuchar.

Biden, who served two terms with former President Barack Obama, has consistently received the largest amount of support since he entered the race last year. Yet he has not distanced himself from the pack as a clear front-runner for the nomination.

Democrats and independents are still looking closely at a variety of other candidates with under two weeks to go before the first nominating contests begin in Iowa. Among those who have picked a candidate, only 43% of registered voters say they are locked in on their choice.

Poll respondents said they considered Sanders best suited to handle issues like healthcare and the environment. And Biden is considered the best at unifying the Democratic Party and beating Trump.

Bloomberg, Buttigieg and Klobuchar have all inched higher in support, gaining a few percentage points each over the last few weeks.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online, in English, throughout the United States. It gathered responses from 1,108 adults, including 545 people who identified as registered voters and affiliated either as an independent or a Democrat.

The results have a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of about five percentage points.

(Reporting by Chris Kahn; Editing by Alistair Bell)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-24

50 minutes ago, Tug said:

Joe will mop the floor in a real debate but trump  is incapable of debate above grade school sandbox level joe Biden is just what we and the world needs to get the ship of state back on course

Jesus wept.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Biden's son's directorship with Ukraine gas company; Biden's brother allegedly involved benefiting in over 50 million $ aid to SA countries; Biden jr defying court order to provide his wealth details whilst fighting a child support case - and renting a 12k $ house! 

Biden, his family, all must be clean as a whistle, honest as the day is long. They're Democrats and we all know left wing politicians don't cheat, lie or engage in corruption. Never ever. 

Let me know when Biden's family is running for President. In the meantime...

Trump Tax Records Reveal New Inconsistencies — This Time for Trump Tower

As with Trump Tower, the discrepancies made the two properties — a skyscraper located at 40 Wall Street and the Trump International Hotel and Tower near Columbus Circle — appear more profitable to the lender and less so to property tax officials.

Those discrepancies were “versions of fraud,” according to Nancy Wallace, a professor of finance and real estate at the Haas School of Business at the University of California-Berkeley. The penalties for false filings can include fines or criminal charges.

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-inc-podcast-trump-tower-tax-records-reveal-new-inconsistencies

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Credo said:

I have a question for you.   If Trump was so concerned about corruption in the Ukraine, why did he wait until Biden was running to do 'something'?    

Hell, Biden is always running.  What's not surprising is, Obama is not endorsing him.  Biden is the poster child for what John Nance Garner said.  The vice presidency is “not worth a bucket of warm <deleted>”  ????

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Let me know when Biden's family is running for President. In the meantime...

Trump Tax Records Reveal New Inconsistencies — This Time for Trump Tower

As with Trump Tower, the discrepancies made the two properties — a skyscraper located at 40 Wall Street and the Trump International Hotel and Tower near Columbus Circle — appear more profitable to the lender and less so to property tax officials.

Those discrepancies were “versions of fraud,” according to Nancy Wallace, a professor of finance and real estate at the Haas School of Business at the University of California-Berkeley. The penalties for false filings can include fines or criminal charges.

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-inc-podcast-trump-tower-tax-records-reveal-new-inconsistencies

California-Berkeley. Right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The more coverage Bernie gets, the more support he will get. I think polls like this are misleading. More important at this point are New Hampshire and Iowa polls, because the winner will get more coverage. At least theoretically. 

2 hours ago, CaptRon2 said:

. Joe Biden doesn’t know what year it is, what state he is in, or what country he is in. He has not even received an endorsement from his best friend forever, I believe  the upcoming investigations will conclusively prove corruption, involving his entire family, and the only moping Joe will be doing is the floors in the penitentiary. 

A lifetime in politics and he has accomplished nothing except to pad his bank account. Trump will expose his corruption and give him the beating (in the debates and election) that he has been begging for. 

Bye,bye Dems!

This is so funny, and I can only assume it is meant as a joke. 

The idea of Trump exposing ANYONE ELSE for corruption is laughable.

???????????? I award you 3 emojis for making the start to my day such a pleasure.

23 hours ago, Credo said:

I have a question for you.   If Trump was so concerned about corruption in the Ukraine, why did he wait until Biden was running to do 'something'?    

Why not? 

Kill two birds with one stone!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, newnative said:

Please, not tired old Biden with all his baggage.  Please, someone new with new ideas.  Warren has her faults but she at least has ideas, is an articulate speaker, and has some energy.  She's been pretty good in the debates.   

The newest & most refreshing ideas are coming from Andrew Yang. Don't count him out.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

The newest & most refreshing ideas are coming from Andrew Yang. Don't count him out.

Very impressed by the man, Many YouTube interview watch a few and tell me what you think.

this is one of them

Supposedly even more up to date polls have Bernie leading. I think this trend of Bernie going upwards is going to continue. Not because I want that but because the more people that hear his message are going to realize their ideas meld with his own: eg popularity of war withdrawals, healthcare and livable minimum wage. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sanders-overtakes-biden-in-national-poll-for-democratic-nomination-2020-01-22

Edited by sucit

On 1/24/2020 at 8:05 AM, chokrai said:

California-Berkeley. Right.

Berkeley, ha ha ha .. The left wing liberal college in the US.  

"appear more profitable to the lender and less so to property tax officials."

What really successful business man wouldn't want it this way? 

16 hours ago, CaptRon2 said:

. Joe Biden doesn’t know what year it is, what state he is in, or what country he is in. He has not even received an endorsement from his best friend forever, I believe  the upcoming investigations will conclusively prove corruption, involving his entire family, and the only moping Joe will be doing is the floors in the penitentiary. 

A lifetime in politics and he has accomplished nothing except to pad his bank account. Trump will expose his corruption and give him the beating (in the debates and election) that he has been begging for. 

Bye,bye Dems!

????  Dead on CaptRon.