Corona Virus in Chiang Mai

Kelsall

"Dr. Jatuchai Maneerat, public health doctor and Dr. Sumet Ongwandee, director of Chiang Mai disease control department held a press announcement to confirm the patient boy to be affected by the new virus."

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citynews/local/new-patient-suspected-of-new-corona-virus-found-in-chiang-mai/

Edited by Kelsall
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

I went to do a 90 day report in CM yesterday waste of time queues like I have never seen 6 deep on the steps and around the car park just to get in wonder if any virus vetting was taking place I gave up and went home not leaving the car anyone else there to confirm? ????

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Unfortunately, the Chinese seem to be nose pickers, sneeze and often cough with no coverup.

Lots of Chinese will be here this New Years weekend.

I am wearing a mask and avoiding Maya/Nimman area, all the other malls and any of the tourist spots.

Maybe a waste but at least an attempt to avoid possible exposure.

I'm doing the same.

7 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Of the 8 people outside of China with the virus - Thailand has 4 (50%)....Small sample size that could also turn huge = beware.....

This coronavirus is reported to be confirmed in 8 other countries.  With Thailand having 4 confirmed cases, the odds are that it's more than 8.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

This coronavirus is reported to be confirmed in 8 other countries.  With Thailand having 4 confirmed cases, the odds are that it's more than 8.

You can bet there's some unknowingly infected out & about while this thing is percolating.....

9 hours ago, BobBKK said:

It is very, very concerning and a potential threat to just about everybody in the world. They are too slow to declare an emergency.  

This is like the SARS outbreak in 2002. SARS and the Coronavirus is very similar = same family. It wasn't really a problem here, but there are of course much more Chinese tourists now, especially because of the Chinese New Year. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

This is like the SARS outbreak in 2002. SARS and the Coronavirus is very similar = same family. It wasn't really a problem here, but there are of course much more Chinese tourists now, especially because of the Chinese New Year. 

And too many in Chiang Mai ????

No departures ever had a thermal scan area on 21st.  Bkk, pvg- Shanghai, Seattle.    And Seattle had no check on arrival and this was  after first case showed  up there.  It's obvious the world is not prepared for this kind of thing even after the SARS lesson.  Upon entry on the 26th of December there was an area where they had a camera on tripods with a lady looking at the screen the little 3 by 3 inch LCD screen behind the camera that was the thermal imaging check in  Thailand swampy on arrival. 

Surprisingly few people were wearing masks in Shanghai Airport  but I was the whole trip back to USA because of all the coughing people.   

17 minutes ago, geisha said:

Just back from Suvarnabhumi which was particularly quiet, 5 till 7 pm. Through immigration in 5 mins and saw very little Chinese, if they were Chinese ! Saw a few full tour buses in Pattaya tho. 

BKK also seems quiet in general. Was on marriot hotel rooftop bar  soi 22 yday. Normally packed with chinese guests, was super empty on a friday night.

Those paper "surigcal masks" are fairly useless after 6 minutes, (from previous infection control studies) they are saturated with exhaled moisture, and do prevent inhaled particles very well as that is not their design feature. 

https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/infection-control/the-effectiveness-of-surgical-face-masks-what-the-literature-shows-30-09-2003/

20 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Are people not being checked in China before they get on a plane ? 

Sharing a flight with 200 other people is great way to pick up any virus let alone one that could kill you.

... doing a silent evacuation, but word got out