Corona Virus in Chiang Mai

Kelsall

We need a Wuhan meter like the AQI pollution Index.  

CM Wu:  1  

0-5, safe

6-25, go outside wearing a mask

26-49, think about moving or wear full-body protection

50-99, death in 1-year

100-200, death in a month

201-, last day

of course, expats will stay and tell themselves, "It's OK"

At least now humans can stop getting mad at every country and focus on something important.  But, like always, we can't do anything.  

• Sad 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:53 AM, opalred said:

there are virus everywhere /do we put our head in a plastic bag

Exactly, we have immune systems! the odds are much higher that you will have a road accident - media nonsense's as usual!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Are people not being checked in China before they get on a plane ? 

Sharing a flight with 200 other people is great way to pick up any virus let alone one that could kill you.

I'm heading to Hanoi in a couple of weeks... hopefully I get rid of this cold I've had for little over a week now. I will be wearing a mask at both airports and on the flight.

14 hours ago, geisha said:

Just back from Suvarnabhumi which was particularly quiet, 5 till 7 pm. Through immigration in 5 mins and saw very little Chinese, if they were Chinese ! Saw a few full tour buses in Pattaya tho. 

That’s because they have cancelled all tour group flights out of China. It’s going to be real quiet for a while after those who came for New Years leave.

The TAT spin should be interesting. At least they have something legit to blame low arrivals on.

I try not to be an alarmist, but I’ve decided to curtail my presence in the tourist areas, and while I’m out I’ll be using a SURGICAL (NOT N-95) mask.

I’m usually OK with regular hand washing, but will now carry hand disinfectant in my bag.  It’s always a good idea to disinfect hands before any meal, but especially in restaurants - after handling the oft-touched menus.

Thank heavens that the Chinese government has curtailed outgoing tour groups; however, Chinese New Year couldn’t be coming at a worse time.

For now, snuggling inside on these “cold” days with a good video seems more appealing than ever...

And it gives “Netflix and chill” a whole new layer of meaning (!)

Edited by Brightly
  • Like 2

The problem is there is a 5 day period where someone could have the virus and show no symptoms.  This means taking someone's temperature at an airport could be useless.  Here is a short video that explains it

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/martenson-risk-true-pandemic-higher-were-being-told

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:58 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

BKK also seems quiet in general. Was on marriot hotel rooftop bar  soi 22 yday. Normally packed with chinese guests, was super empty on a friday night.

Marriott Hotel rooftop bar? I didn’t realise they were doing cheap drinks promotions for as we know, the Chinese are low cost tourists and don’t spend any money. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jimgilly said:

The problem is there is a 5 day period where someone could have the virus and show no symptoms.  This means taking someone's temperature at an airport could be useless.  Here is a short video that explains it

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/martenson-risk-true-pandemic-higher-were-being-told

Yes could well be useless but not if they contracted it days prior to their flight.Cover all bases seems logical to me

2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Reports are some are dying/dropping dead without exhibiting symptoms....

Could be they're already weak, or some strains are more lethal - (and hopefully not evolving)....

Oh virus are very clever at evolving and adapting, as has  HIV, which has been the problem in getting a vaccine against it.

8 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh virus are very clever at evolving and adapting, as has  HIV, which has been the problem in getting a vaccine against it.

Well this would be a bit more to be worried about, as incubation time is up to 14 days and people can spread during that time. 
At least with HIV you would not have to worry getting it by just walking around the streets. 

It is near 3% death rate if the stats are right, if it gets a bit worse we hit near 5% rates the chance is 1 in 20 to die after getting it. General flu is like 0.10% 

11 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Well this would be a bit more to be worried about, as incubation time is up to 14 days and people can spread during that time. 
At least with HIV you would not have to worry getting it by just walking around the streets. 

It is near 3% death rate if the stats are right, if it gets a bit worse we hit near 5% rates the chance is 1 in 20 to die after getting it. General flu is like 0.10% 

My comment was about virus being clever at evolving

Spanish flu in the early 20th century killed millions world wide

It is now in USA, France, Australia, Japan, that we know about, how many other countries which do not have good surveillence protocols in SE Asia etc

Edited by RJRS1301

On 1/24/2020 at 9:28 AM, sammieuk1 said:

I went to do a 90 day report in CM yesterday waste of time queues like I have never seen 6 deep on the steps and around the car park just to get in wonder if any virus vetting was taking place I gave up and went home not leaving the car anyone else there to confirm? ????

You can do 90 day report online.

On 1/24/2020 at 8:40 AM, pgrahmm said:

Of the 8 people outside of China with the virus - Thailand has 4 (50%)....Small sample size that could also turn huge = beware.....

Don't worry, there will be 1000's more cases just like this over the next few months.

It's time to worry when it starts spreading locally and outside of China.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 6:40 AM, RJRS1301 said:

Those paper "surigcal masks" are fairly useless after 6 minutes, (from previous infection control studies) they are saturated with exhaled moisture, and do prevent inhaled particles very well as that is not their design feature. 

https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/infection-control/the-effectiveness-of-surgical-face-masks-what-the-literature-shows-30-09-2003/

It's pretty accepted that paper masks are not effective unless they totally seal, and totally ineffective if moist.  However one thing they do well is prevent the wearer from touching his/her face and thus avoiding transmission from hand to face which is a significant mode of virus transmission.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, jimgilly said:

Latest information says one can be asymptomatic for up to 14 days yet still capable of transmitting the virus to others.  What is known about the virus is rapidly changing from day to day, and some experts are even hinting that it may indeed be mutating to a more virulent form.  Pretty scary stuff!

Considering that Chiang Mai is a favored destination for Chinese tourists, especially now that we are in the Chinese New Year with large scale public events going on to celebrate, and (not to seem prejudiced) many Chinese I've come in contact with are not the most hygienic people (i.e.: openly sneezing or coughing without covering face, and spitting in public...I hate when I see them doing that, and I see it often!).

This whole thermal screening process of people coming into CNX from China at airports is NOT the answer considering that transmissible carriers can be completely asymptomatic for up to 14 days.

Everything indicates this is going to be a serious issue that will spiral out of control HERE in Chiang Mai and across Thailand if public health officials are not quick (and I mean VERY quick) to adopt serious measures.  This virus is far more dangerous than SARS was...FAR MORE!

What's more, the statistics coming out of China are (I believe) significantly misleading.  I think there are far more cases than being reported.  I mean, the city that is ground zero has a population of over 11 million people.  The number of hospital beds available should be more than adequate to accommodate around 2,000 cases yet most of the video footage shows seriously sick people unable to even get into a hospital, and Chinese government is presently building two new hospitals to deal specifically with this virus, amazingly slated to be completely built and in operation within nine (9) days!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

Don't worry, there will be 1000's more cases just like this over the next few months.

It's time to worry when it starts spreading locally and outside of China.

...next few months?  How about next few weeks, or even days?  This is far more serious than many believe (IMO).  I think this will make SARS look like a walk in the park.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

For those who think this is just scaremongering, consider that the entire province of Hubei with a population of over 50 million people are currently being quarantined by the Chinese government!  That is the size of the entire population of the Northeast USA!

This would be a draconian measure on the part of the government if the current number of confirmed cases is only 2,018 with deaths numbering 56.  I'm not minimizing the tragic loss of life, but I am questioning the transparency of the Chinese government in describing the true severity of the situation (at least up until the last day or two). 

IMO, the real number of cases must be far, far higher to justify such a large and immediate quarantine, and the virtual lockdown of Wuhan, a city with a population of 11 million people. 

I mean...think about it!  Wuhan is not a small city; New York City has a population of 8.6 million.  Think about if the US government placed a lockdown on New York City.  Would you consider this just a case of scaremongering?

Remember the Coronavirus in humans has never been seen before.  At present there is no effective treatment.  Presently it lacks the pandemic properties of influenza and deaths have been confined to older people but the virus is in a critical evolutionary stage and there is already evidence that younger age groups are now becoming statistically relevant. 

The World Health Organization has yet to declare a global emergency but the virus has mutated and could evolve further and more quickly, so this may likely just be a matter of time before they do. 

Furthermore, many international people who have just visited the Hubei province, become infected and returned home in the last week or so, may still be in the incubation period with no outward symptoms, yet capable of spreading the virus so it's anyone's guess what the global picture will look like in the next week or two.  Something to consider.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Yes lets all run around dithering and soiling our shorts, that always helps.

You offer nothing but fear chicken little.

There's a big difference between irrational fear and fear arising from being informed.  You're not very well informed if you think this is a just a big hoax. 

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

My advice for the coming period is to stop having sex

Is it as risky if we don't go all the way ? How can I stop sex having me ?

Please reply with details.

~o:37;

• Haha 1