British detained over expired visa and scams

geovalin

Siem Reap police have detained a British national for overstaying his visa by more than 100 days and for posing a threat to security and public order in the province. Immigration police received the British, identified as 34 year old Peter James Wells last Monday from the Siem Reap Police Inspectorate in connection with visa issues and illegal activities.

Wells had entered the country 11 September  2019 through the  Bavet International Border gate and he has been staying without a valid visa since  October 11, 2019. He was detained at the Borey Prem Express Market, Trapeang Ses Village, Sangkat Kork Chak, Siem Reap, for allegedly extorting money from a schoolgirl.

He was arrested by the police and sent to the Office of Investigation and Proceedings. He had refused to cooperate or answer questions. He was detained and sent to Siem Reap eviction office for further proceedings.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50682279/british-detained-over-expired-visa-and-scams

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, geovalin said:

British national extorting money from a schoolgirl.

Scum

seems the Brtish man was out of funds, because in the afternoon of January 20, at 3 pm, the suspect tried to rob some Cambodian schoolkids by menacing them with a stick and asking for money at the Borey Prem Prey market in Siem Reap. 

The police were called and they took the British man into custody and then sent him to the Department of Investigation and Procedure. The British man was surly and refused to cooperate with the police or answer any questions.

EC6027F5-DFED-4E88-BBF4-D3F7029AEFBF.jpeg

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

For those that are confused, This was covered on a few other sites where his brother commented about him having mental issues and he was in the process of trying to sort it out. He was reported to authorities about his behavior in PP, but his visa was still valid and they let him go. He then moved on to SR.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Scum

seems the Brtish man was out of funds, because in the afternoon of January 20, at 3 pm, the suspect tried to rob some Cambodian schoolkids by menacing them with a stick and asking for money at the Borey Prem Prey market in Siem Reap. 

The police were called and they took the British man into custody and then sent him to the Department of Investigation and Procedure. The British man was surly and refused to cooperate with the police or answer any questions.

EC6027F5-DFED-4E88-BBF4-D3F7029AEFBF.jpeg

Scumbag

14 hours ago, rhodie said:

The guy is mentally ill. His brother is trying to sort things out.

He doesn't look to be all there, and I had the impression he's dealing with some mental issues when I saw the picture of him and the cop. To be making a spectacle of oneself by harassing school girls at a public market, is obviously going to draw a lot of attention and a visit by the police, so I'd say he doesn't have the mental ability to use reasonable judgement. What I can't understand is how he was allowed to travel and put himself in this type of situation. Surely, his family and medical professionals have to be aware of his condition. 

We had a teacher who was hired for the Engineering Faculty. He came across as normal in the interview and began working. One day shortly after he started, as I was exiting the hallway where my office was, this man was coming down the stairs barefoot and walking very deliberately, staring at his feet. I asked him if he was okay and needed help, which startled him a bit, but he just smiled and told me that stairs are very dangerous. I had friends in Engineering and talked to one of them about it only to learn that he had suddenly began displaying a lot of bizarre behavior. So, it seems these type of people do fly under the mental health radar low enough to function in limited capacity until something snaps a little more. 

• Like 2

Being mentally ill does not include "robbing and extorsion" the is not mental. No disease of "robbing and  stealingenimia"

He is just a scumbag with terrible moral compass and understanding of code of conduct for society. He is in Cambodia because its heaven for someone of his mental bs illness"family obviously enableing him around the planet. Hope he does time in a prison and later get some medical help.

On 1/24/2020 at 11:57 PM, Inn Between said:

He doesn't look to be all there, and I had the impression he's dealing with some mental issues when I saw the picture of him and the cop. To be making a spectacle of oneself by harassing school girls at a public market, is obviously going to draw a lot of attention and a visit by the police, so I'd say he doesn't have the mental ability to use reasonable judgement. What I can't understand is how he was allowed to travel and put himself in this type of situation. Surely, his family and medical professionals have to be aware of his condition. 

It is not so easy to prevent an adult from doing what they want even when they have mental problems. Ask anyone with a family member in that situation.

in fact often quite impossible for family to do anything. The bar for gettin gsomeone declared incompetent or involuntarily committed is very, very high - with reason -- and even if one succeeds (have to be able to prove the person is an imminent danger to themselves or others) they will usually get discharged in no time. 

Many families are in the distressing situation of being unable to do anything about behavior of a mentally disturbed family member. It is actually a blessing if they finally get arrested....

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 3:57 AM, Inn Between said:

We had a teacher who was hired for the Engineering Faculty. He came across as normal in the interview and began working. One day shortly after he started, as I was exiting the hallway where my office was, this man was coming down the stairs barefoot and walking very deliberately, staring at his feet. I asked him if he was okay and needed help, which startled him a bit, but he just smiled and told me that stairs are very dangerous. I had friends in Engineering and talked to one of them about it only to learn that he had suddenly began displaying a lot of bizarre behavior. So, it seems these type of people do fly under the mental health radar low enough to function in limited capacity until something snaps a little more. 

Some people with mental ill health function at very high levels, depends on the illness, the symptoms, the presentation of the ilness, whether they are receiving treatment and if they need medication.

On 1/24/2020 at 9:16 AM, phetphet said:

Not a good idea to act surly and refuse to answer questions after robbing schoolkids. If he upsets the police, he might end up in a Cambodian prison, which I imagine wouldn't be a nice experience.

they havent even handcuffed him so he cant be that surly