Getting the married visa - where it is the easiest ?

Hi guys,

Will get married soon.

My gf told me that she heard that it is easiest to get a visa based on marriage for me in Vientianne at the moment. 

I am from Germany and shes from Thailand obviously.

We will have all the papers ready in the next month probably and arent sure where we should go to.

OP. Yes follow the advice given above by UbonJoe. However firstly make sure you are legally married not just some village ceremony. Visit the local Amphur and register the marriage, you will need these documents for the Non O and extension of stay.

46 minutes ago, jimn said:

OP. Yes follow the advice given above by UbonJoe. However firstly make sure you are legally married not just some village ceremony. Visit the local Amphur and register the marriage, you will need these documents for the Non O and extension of stay.

Does it have to be at the local Amphur where the Thai girl is registered on their house book or they can do it at any Amphur in BKK for example?

13 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Does it have to be at the local Amphur where the Thai girl is registered on their house book or they can do it at any Amphur in BKK for example?

A marriage can be registered at any Amphoe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:22 AM, jimn said:

Talking about the marriage documents, which one exactly has to be presented either to the immigration office, or to a Thai consulate?

Is it the "certificate" which looks like a diploma, with the colored framing around, or is it what is called the Koo Roo 2 with all the signatures? Or both?

9 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Talking about the marriage documents, which one exactly has to be presented either to the immigration office, or to a Thai consulate?

Is it the "certificate" which looks like a diploma, with the colored framing around, or is it what is called the Koo Roo 2 with all the signatures? Or both?

Having had a Marriage Extension for the last 13 years i can say that you should present both documents at Each request for extension. We always keep a full dossier of all possible requirements with us every time as things change and you can never be exactly sure what they will ask for.   Like a good Scout...'Always be prepared '.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Only the fancy one with flowers and etc on it at most embassies and consulates.

At immigration they will want both and the Kor Ror 2 will need to be updated by getting a printout of it at an Amphoe.

• Like 1

I am a little bit confused about this 

with a non O retired visa and intending to marry a Thai lady, what is the difference 

between an extension of  visa based on marriage at the immigration and getting a thai wife visa in a consulate ?

can an immigration office refuse to make an extension based on marriage (because it's too much work for them )? 

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the fancy one with flowers and etc on it at most embassies and consulates.

At immigration they will want both and the Kor Ror 2 will need to be updated by getting a printout of it at an Amphoe.

Next year, I intend to get a non-o married Visa with a single entry.  I normally come to Thailand for between 5 and 6 month.  I get my 30 days on arrival and during that time I intend to go to Savannakhet to get a married Visa, single entry.  I think that I read in the past that you get a 3 month Visa with the possibility of  60 days extension at the Immigration.  Is that correct?  If so, what is the requierement moneywise?  Also does the Kor Ror have to be updated at the Amphur as I have been married to a Thai lady for 9 years.  Thanks a lot Ubonjoe for your always expert advice.

6 hours ago, Aforek said:

with a non O retired visa and intending to marry a Thai lady, what is the difference 

between an extension of  visa based on marriage at the immigration and getting a thai wife visa in a consulate ?

can an immigration office refuse to make an extension based on marriage (because it's too much work for them )? 

As long as you have the correct paperwork they might try and talk you into staying on a retirement extension but they will still do a marriage extension. 

The difference between the non O single entry visa that is only a 90 day visa which you then must get an extension for 1 year on the basis of marriage or retirement and the Multi Entry marriage visa which is only available at a limited number of embassies or consulates is that with the extensions that you obtain from the local immigration office you must show financials in your name in a Thai bank, for a retirement extension you require 800000 deposited in the bank 2 months before you apply for the extension and that money must remain in the bank for 3 months after the extension has been approved and then you can only withdraw 400000 of that money out of your account leaving the other 400000 untouched until 2 months before your renewal when you must top it back up to 800000 or you can use the income system which requires you to have a minimum of 65000 transferred from an international source into your Thai bank account every month. The marriage extension works the same except that the seasoned amount is only 400000 deposited into your bank account 2 months before application but it can all be withdrawn immediately after the approval and put back into your account 2 months before your renewal application or you can use the income system which is only 40000 transferred from an international source every month. With the income system make sure that the transfers are 12 x monthly transfers as anything else can cause problems. With the Multi Entry Marriage Visa the requirements vary depends on which embassy or consulate you use. I can only state what was required when I did my Multi Entry visa at Savannakhet, The documents that I was required to supply was:

1; application form which is specific to Savannakhet only with the words "multi entry" written next to "non-imm "O"

2; copy of my passport information page signed by me

3; copy of the marriage certificate signed by me

4; copy of my wife's ID card signed by my wife

5; copy of my wife's blue house book signed by my wife

6; your original marriage certificate for them to see and return to you.

7; and naturally your passport

There were no financials needed.

The other difference between the 2 is that with the extension based on marriage you need to do a 90 day report to you local immigration office where-as with the multi entry visa you need to leave Thailand every 90 days (border run) with this if you leave Thailand and re-enter 2 days before your visa expires you will get another 90 days before you need to renew

Edited by Russell17au
  • Like 2

To answer the OP, "easiest" can be a question of logistics. I live in Chonburi and it was certainly a lot easier to travel to HCMC than Savannakhet. As a UK citizen, or German, you do not need a visa to enter Vietnam, straight out of the airport and an easy 40 baht bus ride into District 1.

The HCMC consulate is very efficient and not particularly busy, we enjoyed a few days in the city.

7 hours ago, Aforek said:

The biggest difference is the required financial proof. You need 800k baht in the bank or 65k baht income for retirement and marriage only 400k baht or 40k baht income.

They cannot refuse to do the one based upon marriage especially if you don't the show the financial proof for retirement. When people want to change from retirement to marriage extensions I suggest  they do not show enough financial proof for retirement.

• Like 2

The best place to get married is in Bangkok at the Ban Rak amphor. Don't paint your marriage with a red brush by doing the deed in Pattaya! What will every official think of your wife ever after??!

Ban Rak has a long history of mixed marriages. It's going to be the most honest, straight forward and easiest.

It's no more work to push paper for a marriage extension than retirement. They do this day in and out. It's insignificant

My marriage extensions are processed in 15 minutes.

Easiest place to get a marriage visa is Savanakhet. I think a retirement visa outside your country now difficult. Maybe one 90 day single for Europeans visiting once a year. One. Same consulate.

Edited by Number 6

On 1/24/2020 at 11:24 AM, ubonjoe said:

A marriage can be registered at any Amphoe.

From my own experience, I disagree. I was told in Bangkok where I had the paperwork done for my marriage, that I could go to any Amphoe to register the marriage. I went to the local Amphoe where I was renting a house and was told emphatically, that all marriages need to be registered at the Amphoe where the wife name is registered and in the family Blue Book. Which in this case was Amphoe Phen which is a very long drive. Only then, did they register the marriage. 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Morning Person said:

I went to the local Amphoe where I was renting a house and was told emphatically, that all marriages need to be registered at the Amphoe where the wife name is registered and in the family Blue Book.

That was one Amphoe of many that just incorrectly refused you and gave you false info.

Many people have gotten married at an Amphoe that was not where their wife to be was registered.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That was one Amphoe of many that just incorrectly refused you and gave you false info.

Many people have gotten married at an Amphoe that was not where their wife to be was registered.

Yes Joe Agreed, We got Married in Bangkok 27 Years Ago,My Wife was then registered in Ban Muang,Sakon Nakhon....Had NO Problems whatsoever since !!

On 1/25/2020 at 9:00 PM, Russell17au said:

extension based on marriage you need to do a 90 day report to you local immigration office

I don't think extension requires 90-day report. 90-day report is required only if you stay in Thailand 90 consecutive days. With an extension one can still exit for various reason and not do a 90-day report. 

• Haha 1

On 1/26/2020 at 10:00 AM, Russell17au said:

As long as you have the correct paperwork they might try and talk you into staying on a retirement extension but they will still do a marriage extension. 

I ask because my immigration ( Prachinburi ) is not nice at all and I expect problems if I ask an extension from O retirement visa to marriage visa

what I think , if the boss in the IO makes problems , is that I get a marriage ( single entry ) visa in Savannakhet ( that I know already ) and after 90 days ask a one year extension in my IO: with already an O visa based on marriage, she ( the boss  ) can't refuse ; can I do this ? But first, I will discuss with the boss even if she is not happy 

I am not married yet but I prepare the paperwork because I think visa O retirement will have to get a Thai health insurance in the future