Help please? Passport for Newborn

Kemp87

I’ve not lived here long, I’m abit clueless and couldn’t find any info on here. I’ll be having a son born in Pattaya in about 8 weeks, how do I obtain a U.K. passport for him? Is there a shop somewhere here in Pattaya that could help with that kind of thing? Any help would be massively appreciated, cheers.

I am going through this at the moment and have opted to use an agent. This is because i live in Phuket and would need to take time off to travel to Bangkok to the british embassy.

The firm is thaivisa-express.com and they do an all in service for 10k baht

The list of requirements they want below

 2 x Passport photographs (see guidance)
 Childs Thai birth certificate ( colour copy )
 Fathers long UK birth certificate ( not the short version colour copy/original)
 A colour copy of the child’s mothers Thai birth certificate
 A colour copy of the fathers British passport (photo page only)
 1 X passport countersigned: Your counter signatory should write the following on the back of
one photo: ‘I certify that this is a true likeness of [title and full name of adult or child who is
getting the passport] . Have known the person applying (or the adult who signed the form if the
passport is for a child under 16) for at least 2 years be able to identify the person applying, e.g.
they’re a friend, neighbor or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally).
 A colour copy of the countersignatures Passport photo page
 Mothers passport colour copy
 Mothers ID card colour copy
 Mother must write on a copy on the ID card/Passport (I confirm that (applicants name) is my
child & I allow (fathers name) to apply for a passport for the above child, sign & date.
 Marriage certificate ( if you are married )
 Name changes (mother of the child/ child)
 House blue book ( colour copy)
 Address of applicant (where they are registered)
 Translations must be provided if not using our all-inclusive fee service.
 In some cases, they may ask for the British citizen (father/mothers) child’s grandparent’s
birth certificates, we have no control over Liverpool passport office asking for any further
documents (please supply if requested), if you have it please forward it.

Edited by Stese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kemp87 said:

Original humour there ???????????? did you think that one up all by yourself ????????

Only trying to help.  It's not like it hasn't happened before.

But since you seem to know everything, why post this, "I’ve not lived here long, I’m abit clueless."  

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Leaver said:

But since you seem to know everything, why post this, "I’ve not lived here long, I’m abit clueless."  

I’m 32 been coming to Thailand for several years, only been living here 18 months (not long) and clueless about obtaining a passport here (many would be). I asked for some help on an advice forum and you’ve predicted I’m an old muggy gullible idiot getting messed around in Pattaya ???? without knowing me or my situation. She’s not a brass, she’s not from isan, she doesn’t need money, we were travelling Indonesia/Vietnam when she conceived. I Was just after some advice not getting told my sons mum is a w**re ????????????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kemp87 said:

I’m 32 been coming to Thailand for several years, only been living here 18 months (not long) and clueless about obtaining a passport here (many would be). I asked for some help on an advice forum and you’ve predicted I’m an old muggy gullible idiot getting messed around in Pattaya ???? without knowing me or my situation. She’s not a brass, she’s not from isan, she doesn’t need money, we were travelling Indonesia/Vietnam when she conceived. I Was just after some advice not getting told my sons mum is a w**re ????????????

Now who is "predicting?"

I never suggested she was a whore, or from Issan, or how old you are, or how gullible, or otherwise, you may be.

None of your EXTRA information was in your OP, so at the time of my post, with the information contained in your OP, I stand by my advice.

You seem to have a thin skin about what people, and even on internet forums, may think about your Thai partner.  Get used to it, because back in the UK, everyone will be thinking it.  There's another bit of advice for you, so you can prepare yourself, and no need shooting the messenger on these things.  

I wish you well on the birth of your son.   

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Now who is "predicting?"

I never suggested she was a whore, or from Issan, or how old you are, or how gullible, or otherwise, you may be.

None of your EXTRA information was in your OP, so at the time of my post, with the information contained in your OP, I stand by my advice.

You seem to have a thin skin about what people, and even on internet forums, may think about your Thai partner.  Get used to it, because back in the UK, everyone will be thinking it.  There's another bit of advice for you, so you can prepare yourself, and no need shooting the messenger on these things.  

I wish you well on the birth of your son.   

Stating ‘get a DNA test first’ implies I’m an idiot and my mrs is a whore. i didn’t think I needed to include any personal info in my OP. But when it’s implied my Mrs could be a whore, perhaps I should add some context to help bring some understanding.

And None of my family or friends are thinking it in the UK, I’ve been with her since I was 26 they all know her, your doing that predicting my personal situation thing again ???? You don’t know anything about me, my family/friends in UK or my Mrs. You may have been stung in the past but keep your stereotypes and ideals away from association with me, cheers ????????

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

Stating ‘get a DNA test first’ implies I’m an idiot and my mrs is a whore. i didn’t think I needed to include any personal info in my OP. But when it’s implied my Mrs could be a whore, perhaps I should add some context to help bring some understanding.

And None of my family or friends are thinking it in the UK, I’ve been with her since I was 26 they all know her, your doing that predicting my personal situation thing again ???? You don’t know anything about me, my family/friends in UK or my Mrs. You may have been stung in the past but keep your stereotypes and ideals away from association with me, cheers ????????

Take it any way you want.  You posted very little information in your OP, and I stand by my advice, based on your OP, not subsequent posts. 

I've never been stung, and never sent money for a sick buffalo. 

Whilst your friends and family know your situation, the public in the UK don't, and they will stereotype you, and you know they will, so get used to it.

For your information, there are many cases, from all around the world, where a father hasn't found out his children are not biologically his, until some sort of medical test is preformed, and in many cases, the children are adult by then. 

He's one from the first page of Google, but there are many.  A women doesn't have to be a whore to carry someone else's child. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-found-out-sons-raised-13819040

Also, I believe the embassies of certain countries have a DNA test result as one of the documents required to get a passport for a newborn, so, there's obviously a need for such requirements.

Edited by Leaver
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Props to letting everyone know the only situation you can consider someone fathering a child is with a woman likely to be ‘putting it about’...... talk about outing yourself as to ‘type’ of women you hang out with... 

I get it.. Mongers can be fathers too !!!...  and if that’s your situation, its ok. But you have projected your thoughts in a highly clumsy and assumptive manner on the Op - he has every right to feel insulted by your insinuation that his child may not be his.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Take it any way you want.  You posted very little information in your OP, and I stand by my advice, based on your OP, not subsequent posts. 

I've never been stung, and never sent money for a sick buffalo. 

Whilst your friends and family know your situation, the public in the UK don't, and they will stereotype you, and you know they will, so get used to it.

For your information, there are many cases, from all around the world, where a father hasn't found out his children are not biologically his, until some sort of medical test is preformed, and in many cases, the children are adult by then. 

He's one from the first page of Google, but there are many.  A women doesn't have to be a whore to carry someone else's children. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-found-out-sons-raised-13819040

Also, I believe the embassies of certain countries have a DNA test result as one of the documents required to get a passport for a newborn, so, there's obviously a need for such requirements.

Your trying to back track claiming I may have to get a DNA test for the embassy and passport documents ???? then why didn’t you mention that in your original reply ? 

I kept my OP short because I was just after some quick advice, why would it need to be detailed enough for you to be able to assume wether a DNA test is appropriate or not in my situation ????

And your perception of ‘everyone’ back home ‘thinking it’ (my Mrs is a whore) i just can’t agree on. If People outside my family and friends saw me out with her in say a restaurant in the U.K. they would just think he’s got an Asian GF and that would be that. Maybe in situations a man is old, over weight & undesirable with a thin younger Thai lady etc those preconceptions would be applied but other than that scenario in this day and age I just don’t think it’s the case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

Your trying to back track claiming I may have to get a DNA test for the embassy and passport documents

Not back tracking.  I have never fathered a child here, and I have no intention doing so.  Just saying, some countries require it.

7 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

why would it need to be detailed enough for you to be able to assume wether a DNA test is appropriate or not in my situation

Because I was trying to help you. 

8 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

And your perception of ‘everyone’ back home ‘thinking it’ (my Mrs is a whore) i just can’t agree on

Perhaps not a whore, but perhaps a gold digger.  Does it matter?  Racism is everywhere.

You will be stereotyped, and you know. Geez, you are even banging on about being stereotyped on an internet forum.  I can imaging what you would be like in a restaurant in the UK. 

11 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

If People outside my family and friends saw me out with her in say a restaurant in the U.K. they would just think he’s got an Asian GF and that would be that.

Let me know how you get on with that.  ????

12 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

Maybe in situations a man is old, over weight & undesirable with a thin younger Thai lady etc those preconceptions would be applied but other than that scenario in this day and age I just don’t think it’s the case.

Now who's stereotyping???? 

Can't old, over weight, and unattractive men have legitimate relationships with an attractive, younger women, of any nationality?

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Not back tracking.  I have never fathered a child here, and I have no intention doing so.  Just saying, some countries require it.

Because I was trying to help you. 

Perhaps not a whore, but perhaps a gold digger.  Does it matter?  Racism is everywhere.

You will be stereotyped, and you know. Geez, you are even banging on about being stereotyped on an internet forum.  I can imaging what you would be like in a restaurant in the UK. 

Let me know how you get on with that.  ????

Now who's stereotyping???? 

Can't old, over weight, and unattractive men have legitimate relationships with an attractive, younger women, of any nationality?

Regarding older men I said those preconceptions may be applied, I didn’t say from me.

I’ve many friends in London who have Asian GF’s, who also probably have more money than them. Your outdated perceptions ‘gold digger’ ???? of what you think EVERYONE in England will think is just wrong imo.

Anyway, Just bare in mind before you type out an insinuation that someone’s son isn’t theirs on a forum, that it may just slightly insult them ????????

Edited by Kemp87
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

Just bare in mind before you type out an insinuation that someone’s son isn’t theirs on a forum, that it may just slightly insult them

And I have posted a link where a guy found out just that, which you have conveniently overlooked. There are many more links the same. 

5 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

Regarding older men I said those preconceptions may be applied, I didn’t say from me.

Of course not.  You walk around Pattaya seeing 70 year old guys with 30 year old girls and not stereotyping them.  Sure you do.  ????

I’ve many friends in London who have Asian GF’s, who also probably have more money than them.

I guess you lucked out with a Thai then.  ????

8 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

Your outdated perceptions ‘gold digger’ ???? of what you think EVERYONE in England will think is what’s wrong with the UK. 

I thought the UK gets rid of all the gold diggers after Brexit.  ????

• Sad 1

Would point out some errors in information posted in previous posts.

1. When applying for a UK passport outside the UK, no counter signatory is required.

2. Mothers passport copy, not required (she may not have one).

3. If mom has no birth certificate (common in Thailand), just a copy of her ID card may be acceptable (I used that one as mom didn't have a BC).

4. DNA test not required for children of British Citizens in Thailand.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kemp87 said:

I’ll be having a son born in Pattaya in about 8 weeks, how do I obtain a U.K. passport for him?

This is a good starting point...

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport/first-child-passport.

I got my Thai son his UK passport using the official route with no problems but that was 19 years ago, I do not know if it is any less easy now.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I guess you lucked out with a Thai then.  ????

Yeah I will have really lucked out when she inherits her families Durian farms in chantaburi ???? again with your preconceptions that because she’s thai she must be a penniless gold digger ????????‍♂️ 

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out some errors in information posted in previous posts.

1. When applying for a UK passport outside the UK, no counter signatory is required.

2. Mothers passport copy, not required (she may not have one).

3. If mom has no birth certificate (common in Thailand), just a copy of her ID card may be acceptable (I used that one as mom didn't have a BC).

4. DNA test not required for children of British Citizens in Thailand.

Cheers for the info ????????

50 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

Yeah I will have really lucked out when she inherits her families Durian farms in chantaburi ???? again with your preconceptions that because she’s thai she must be a penniless gold digger ????????‍♂️ 

Are you "investing" in the family's durian farms?   ????

2 minutes ago, John Sutherland said:

Register the birth first with the UK registrar.  They will issue a UK birth certificate which makes getting the passport a lot more easy.

No longer possible, UK Consular Birth Certificates were stopped a year or two back.

Our fine country no longer bothers to register our kids born outside the UK.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

No longer possible, UK Consular Birth Certificates were stopped a year or two back.

Our fine country no longer bothers to register our kids born outside the UK.

What a mare! Why would they stop that ???? ok cheers for advice that’s coming in. Ive just made a call to someone who can assist me. I need to get my birth certificate sent from UK which I’m a little apprehensive about (incase it gets lost in the post) first key thing is getting his name on the paperwork in the hospital when born, which also has to be translated into Thai. 

11 minutes ago, Kemp87 said:

What a mare! Why would they stop that ???? ok cheers for advice that’s coming in. Ive just made a call to someone who can assist me. I need to get my birth certificate sent from UK which I’m a little apprehensive about (incase it gets lost in the post) first key thing is getting his name on the paperwork in the hospital when born, which also has to be translated into Thai. 

Sounds suspect.

I did mine a few years back when consular services where a bit more citizen friendly, but when I showed up to get a passport and Consular Birth Certificate for mine, the consulate just ticked a box, "original document's inspected' then handed them right back.

Not quite sure what you mean by getting his name on the hospital document.

Hospital just present a receipt that a baby was born to parents xxx (her ID number) and xxx (your passport number) the day after the birth, then you take it along to the Amphur office with the house book, her ID card, your passport (and name in Thai script), and the kids intended name (in Thai script), and they hand you a birth certificate, and the newly updated house book.

Just checked my kids hospital receipt, my name in English + passport number, her name in Thai + ID number, male child and our address. No kids names (which would seem right as the Amphur have veto powers on the kids name)

How long ago was baby born?

Edited by BritManToo

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds suspect.

I did mine a few years back when consular services where a bit more citizen friendly, but when I showed up to get a passport and Consular Birth Certificate for mine, the consulate just ticked a box, "original document's inspected' then handed them right back.

Not quite sure what you mean by getting his name on the hospital document.

Hospital just present a receipt that a baby was born to parents xxx (her ID number) and xxx (your passport number) the day after the birth, then you take it along to the Amphur office with the house book, her ID card, your passport, and the kids intended name (in Thai script), and they hand you a birth certificate, and the newly updated house book.

How long ago was baby born?

I had a brief phone chat with a Russel that was recommended in an earlier post. He said when he’s born get his name on the paperwork (in thai) in the hospital and after we can go from there with all your documents and girlfriends documents. This service will then drive all documentation to Bangkok to apply and then they will pick up the passport in Bangkok when ready. 

Again it was a brief phone chat so I may have Mis heard/interpreted some bits. 

I had a brief phone chat with a Russel that was recommended in an earlier post. He said when he’s born get his name on the paperwork (in thai) in the hospital and after we can go from there with all your documents and girlfriends documents. This service will then drive all documentation to Bangkok to apply and then they will pick up the passport in Bangkok when ready. 

Again it was a brief phone chat so I may have Mis heard/interpreted some bits. 

That really isn't the process at all.

Hospital notification of birth has space for 2 names (you and mom) can be in English and Thai.

Thai birth certificates are 100% in Thai, there are places for 4 names on it.

You and mom, baby name, and person reporting birth (which you really really want to be you).

As you and I can see from previous posts, there are people posting all sorts of nonsense.

And there may well be a few, just as ignorant, trying to make some money off you.

My personal policy is, with a document this important, I'm doing it myself.

Edited by BritManToo

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That really isn't the process at all.

Hospital notification of birth has space for 2 names (you and mom) can be in English and Thai.

Thai birth certificates are 100% in Thai, there are places for 4 names on it.

You and mom, baby name, and person reporting birth (which you really really want to be you).

As you and I can see from previous posts, there are people posting all sorts of nonsense.

And there may well be a few, just as ignorant, trying to make some money off you.

Ah ok this is way more confusing than I was expecting ???? can I inbox you for some extra advice if that’s not too much hassle ? ????