Would you change your religion for "love" or any other reason?

SoonOh

I was born Catholic and I will die as lapsed Catholic.

At the immigration office I saw withe male displaying stone studded cross and on the same chain about the same size Buddha amulet. It did not help him, immigration officer asked him to update something. 

• Confused 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Each to their own but that would have me running a mile! Living by the teachings of a religion is one thing, but when it starts to affect your actual life, not for me. surely the way she can change religion, become a devout follower so quickly rings alarm bells on the possible craziness scale?

I think she was just fed up with a fake buddhist religion here. Also... All these private schools that their parents put them in Bangkok are catholic. But I don't see how it will affect my life to be honest more than the ever intruding daily Thai Buddhism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know a few 'Christians' who have married Muslim women and who have had to convert to Islam for this to be possible. I would never have changed my principles for a selfish religion like that but aren't you sentenced to death if you leave Islam?.

Edited by sandrabbit
grammar
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I know a few 'Christians' who have married Muslim women and who have had to convert to Islam for this to be possible. I would never have changed my principles for a selfish religion like that but aren't you sentenced to death if you leave Islam?.

I knew one guy who married an Indian lady and had to dress up in Indian clothes and a turban and some kind of fake sword for the wedding, but didn't have to take on the religion though. Another guy married a nice girl from a country in north Africa and was forced to change his name from Peter to Mohammed. Haven't seen him for years so assume he just tells people his name is Moe now.

And yes, I believe the penalty for renouncing Islam is the death penalty. Seems a bit severe. It might seem obvious in a Western country that the authorities would not give a <deleted> about you leaving Islam, but there would almost certainly be some fanatic who would hunt you down in the name of Allah.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

A lot of atheists should look into the simulation hypothesis, Russel's teapot, and the Invisible pink unicorn.

Ten minutes of reading might make you change your mind about your beliefs. As science progresses, people are becoming more and more sceptical of made-up religions, and are understanding that they were population control techniques in ancient times.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is highly likely that anyone who believes in one of the abrahamic religions will find it easy to change. It's just another flavour of crazy. For me, as an atheist, I don't have a religion and find it highly unlikely that I will acquire one. It's also not likely that I will "love" someone who is religious, as I don't truly respect religious people.  

14 minutes ago, SteveK said:

A lot of atheists should look into the simulation hypothesis, Russel's teapot, and the Invisible pink unicorn.

Ten minutes of reading might make you change your mind about your beliefs. As science progresses, people are becoming more and more sceptical of made-up religions, and are understanding that they were population control techniques in ancient times.

Why would atheists change their minds after reading about Russel's teapot? Don't you mean theists...?

2 minutes ago, androokery said:

Why would atheists change their minds after reading about Russel's teapot? Don't you mean theists...?

I mean one could go from atheist to agnostic, as there clearly are more intelligent beings in the universe. If you believe the simulation hypothesis, which actually makes a lot of sense, then you would have to be agnostic as the race creating this universe (probably for their high-school project) is clearly billions of years more advacned than us in their computing power and are effectively gods to us.

Edited by SteveK

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I mean one could go from atheist to agnostic, as there clearly are more intelligent beings in the universe. If you believe the simulation hypothesis, which actually makes a lot of sense, then you would have to be agnostic as the race creating this universe (probably for their high-school project) is clearly billions of years more advacned than us in their computing power and are effectively gods to us.

Unless you're in it for profit, i.e. a piece of the crazy pie of religion, making up a new one is not better than believing in one of the old ones. 

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

As a devout Pastafarian, I would never, ever change my religion for love nor money. The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the one and only god.

Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage_HD.jpg

Hey me too!  I'm a Pastafarian since many years ago ????

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pravda said:

I think she was just fed up with a fake buddhist religion here. Also... All these private schools that their parents put them in Bangkok are catholic. But I don't see how it will affect my life to be honest more than the ever intruding daily Thai Buddhism. 

My wife is primarily Buddhist, but she attended Catholic schools and Christmas Eve mass. I drive her, go home and return to pick her up. I am an atheist, not about to change and don't expect her to.