Would you change your religion for "love" or any other reason?

SoonOh

4 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Hepatitis B can become chronic and there is no cure available at the moment (but a vaccine)

Of course there are cures. Since 40 years ... but you need healthcare to get them ... obviously. Interferon is still expensive. And there are probably 4 or 5 more "drugs" you can use.

I have just updated my ID address recently in Malaysia. Apparently, as a non-Muslim above age of 18 I am able to declared myself as Non-Faith which I did.
If you are a Muslim in Malaysia, you have to go through at least 3 session of remedial counselling course at the Shariah Court in Malaysia.
If you are a Christian in Malaysia, they will ensure you have the similar remedial counselling course before letting you free from paying your Tithe.

Despite in Malaysia, the personal income tax came with variation of relief. But the gimmick of being a public is deeper than that. Annually, the inflation is high, the value of Ringgit is depreciating every year, import machinery are taxed 300% and import of food are monopoly. In reality, people pay more than 30% of what they are earning as expenses in life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, khunPer said:
On 1/24/2020 at 4:01 AM, SoonOh said:

There is no claim of god(s) in Buddhismen,

Actually there is. But Buddha was not a god. There are many branches of Buddhism, and all acknowledge the existence of gods. But those gods have no influence on our plain of existence and there is no worshipping of gods in Buddhism. But most branches have a clear path how to become a god, too. 

Reach enlightenment, then sacrifice it - as in giving up Nirvana - and you transform into a god.

Hint: it helps to read a bit about stuff, instead of having not much clue.

The Dalai Lama e.g. is an (re)-incarnation of a god. Reincarnation, literally meaning: become flesh again. One meaning to be a god means: you gave up Nirvana, and have chosen to continue to reincarnate. The other is to transfer to a different plain.

A simplified view: Buddhism consider gods like aliens in the movies. Watching us, but not interfering, because they can't. To interfere they need to get a body (incarnate) and follow the laws of physics.

Bottom line, Buddhism is about: we are all gods.

Sure as long as it didn't conflict with my basic beliefs.There is but one God and praying to Him in one church or another it's the same God. Now since I am a Christian, I could never change to something like Islam. One of my basic beliefs would be violated. There is but one God and thou shalt not put any other Gods before Him.

My wife is Buddhist and when I join her at some temple, I still pray to the ONE God and His son Jesus Christ. But at the same time I don't consider it a sin if I give her and the Monks respect for their beliefs. In fact I have never seen anything a Buddhist believes in that conflicts with my Christian beliefs.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Enki said:

Actually there is. But Buddha was not a god. There are many branches of Buddhism, and all acknowledge the existence of gods. But those gods have no influence on our plain of existence and there is no worshipping of gods in Buddhism. But most branches have a clear path how to become a god, too. 

Reach enlightenment, then sacrifice it - as in giving up Nirvana - and you transform into a god.

Hint: it helps to read a bit about stuff, instead of having not much clue.

The Dalai Lama e.g. is an (re)-incarnation of a god. Reincarnation, literally meaning: become flesh again. One meaning to be a god means: you gave up Nirvana, and have chosen to continue to reincarnate. The other is to transfer to a different plain.

A simplified view: Buddhism consider gods like aliens in the movies. Watching us, but not interfering, because they can't. To interfere they need to get a body (incarnate) and follow the laws of physics.

Bottom line, Buddhism is about: we are all gods.

Isn't that what I say in short "There is no claim of god(s) in Buddhismen", so all kind of god(s) can be accepted, including Christian Trinity; and also including you – and me – if we both reach Nirvana..????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Funny how the god of Abraham chose the people of the middle east to be muslim and westerners to be christians.  Looks more like invisible lines on the earth and natural geographical boundaries are making the decisions. 

Did he forget about Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Malaysia and Nigeria not being in the MIddle East?

10 hours ago, androokery said:

No you’d better read up on this a little bit more. 

According to WHO, most STDs are curable or preventable today. Not by praying or following some pope, of course, but by medical intervention (the use of condoms being one of them) 

Unfortunately, the poor don't always have access to modern medicine. But that's not a medical problem.

The common Farang saying "I'm so old, I'll die anyway, so I don't care" is not a medical problem either - it's a sociocultural problem. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

Isn't that what I say in short "There is no claim of god(s) in Buddhismen", so all kind of god(s) can be accepted, including Christian Trinity; and also including you – and me – if we both reach Nirvana..????

"if we both reach Nirvana" is not so easy. It's not a linear - but rather a circular - journey. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kurtf said:

Sure as long as it didn't conflict with my basic beliefs.There is but one God and praying to Him in one church or another it's the same God. Now since I am a Christian, I could never change to something like Islam. One of my basic beliefs would be violated. There is but one God and thou shalt not put any other Gods before Him.

My wife is Buddhist and when I join her at some temple, I still pray to the ONE God and His son Jesus Christ. But at the same time I don't consider it a sin if I give her and the Monks respect for their beliefs. In fact I have never seen anything a Buddhist believes in that conflicts with my Christian beliefs.

What makes you think Muslims worship a different God from Christians?

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 3:16 PM, sandrabbit said:

I know a few 'Christians' who have married Muslim women and who have had to convert to Islam for this to be possible. I would never have changed my principles for a selfish religion like that but aren't you sentenced to death if you leave Islam?.

My wife was married to a Muslim and lived that life until he died, ( the only Thai i ever met who loved her ex) she is now a Buddhist and no one has killed her yet. 

21 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My wife was married to a Muslim and lived that life until he died, ( the only Thai i ever met who loved her ex) she is now a Buddhist and no one has killed her yet. 

because she lives in Thailand and not Pakistan or Indonesia etc?

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 9:37 AM, Kurtf said:

Christians and Muslims believe in the same god. Perhaps you want to edit your post, because it looks rather silly ....

On 1/25/2020 at 3:37 PM, Kurtf said:

Sorry to tell you, but many people in the West don't believe in God anymore. They believe in money. 

I'm German, and I've been told what "Western values" are really all about: "If you made your money in the West, then it's our money - and you have no right to invest it in Thailand" 

So, the question in the OP should be extended in a way that covers the reality of "Western values" a bit better. 

I do not believe in God ,it would be lovely to believe that when you die you go to heaven, but i just dont ,would i take on a religion to marry someone ? well i was born Christian ,and as far as i know you only have to become a Muslim if you want to marry one ,no other religion demands it ,well my answer is no ,not for anyone ,if she loved me and was a Muslim why would i have to say i believe in her religion? Also to be honest if she was that dedicated to that religion ,i would never have gone out with or fallen in love with her in the first place .

Edited by ivor bigun

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't believe in religion, and while I used to believe in love, I realised it was a fraud made up to part men from their cash to support women.

I do believe in sex though, and I'd happily pretend to be any religion at all if I got great sex out of it.

What is love without sex? 

You don't have to pretend anything as long as you pay. And that's what you work for in the West. 

Unfortunately in the West you might get forced to pay for someone that vehemently refuses sex with you. It's called alimony, and it means no money for your current lover, your greedy ex gets it all. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't believe in religion, and while I used to believe in love, I realised it was a fraud made up to part men from their cash to support women.

I do believe in sex though, and I'd happily pretend to be any religion at all if I got great sex out of it.

I do feel sorry for you and anyone who feels the way you do ,you are missing so much ,my wife and i laugh and joke all the time ,and have done for 20 years , we love being in each others company , 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I do not believe in God ,it would be lovely to believe that when you die you go to heaven, but i just dont ,would i take on a religion to marry someone ? well i was born Christian ,and as far as i know you only have to become a Muslim if you want to marry one ,no other religion demands it ,well my answer is no ,not for anyone ,if she loved me and was a Muslim why would i have to say i believe in her religion? Also to be honest if she was that dedicated to that religion ,i would never have gone out with or fallen in love with her in the first place .

I think it use to be if you married a Catholic you had to become a member of the Catholic Church

20 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

I do feel sorry for you and anyone who feels the way you do ,you are missing so much ,my wife and i laugh and joke all the time ,and have done for 20 years , we love being in each others company , 

I feel sorry for me.

First partner- lovely person before we moved in together. Then she used me to look after her kids while she got on with her "career". Stopped having sex soon as had me trapped- I walked away and lost everything. Not much laughing going on after that

Second partner- had an evil family that turned her from a lovely person that I adored into a shrieking harpy from hell. They did it to try and force her to get my money for them. Divorced and lost so much i couldn't stay in LOS anymore, despite never wanting to leave. Not much laughing going on now.

I have known women that I could have a good laugh with, but they were always married to someone else.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I feel sorry for me.

First partner- lovely person before we moved in together. Then she used me to look after her kids while she got on with her "career". Stopped having sex soon as had me trapped- I walked away and lost everything. Not much laughing going on after that

Second partner- had an evil family that turned her from a lovely person that I adored into a shrieking harpy from hell. They did it to try and force her to get my money for them. Divorced and lost so much i couldn't stay in LOS anymore, despite never wanting to leave. Not much laughing going on now.

I have known women that I could have a good laugh with, but they were always married to someone else.

I'm dealing with the some of the second part now we've been married 37 years her family wants money no matter what we do it's not enough lucky having lived in the US most of her adult life my wife don't like it and is quick to tell them to f off so still happy

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2020 at 3:24 PM, ivor bigun said:

I never had to 40 years ago???? never even mentioned

It's Muslims insist on the partner becoming a Muslim, far as I know, though I had heard decades ago about the Catholic thing. Very much doubt it happens now. My cousin didn't have to become a Catholic when they got married.

On 1/29/2020 at 4:52 PM, Fred white said:

I'm dealing with the some of the second part now we've been married 37 years her family wants money no matter what we do it's not enough lucky having lived in the US most of her adult life my wife don't like it and is quick to tell them to f off so still happy

My wife did whatever her sister said. If they'd had a dog I'd have come after it in importance.

• Sad 1

On 1/28/2020 at 10:17 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You're not alone ..

I never changed my religion because mine is boom-boom with girls
I leave other beliefs to integrists of all stripes

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1