Can an agent submitted extension application not require health insurance for an O-A extension

I have seen a few agents advertising like they could skip the insurance requirement for an O-A extension for retirement. Does any clause exists for that like the seasoning requirement for 800K can be waived by division head under special circumstances and agents take advantage of this clause. 

My current plan is to go to HCMC from UTP and enter Thailand with an exemption and then convert it to O and eventually to an extension to avoid health insurance. If an agent can skip the health insurance, I'm thinking why bother going to HCMC and start the process again. I will always use an agent for an extension no matter what. Agents I have contacted want me to go to HCMC and start the process again with an O.

Edited by Vascoda

3 hours ago, Jim P said:

Why wouldn`t you want health insurance, who`s going to pay if you need extensive treatment?

I already have an UHC catastrophic insurance for unlimited amount with an HSA card that has $12000 tax free savings accumulated over 10-year. My yearly out-of-pocket limit is $6750 (by US law). That means, insunace will pay 100% after I reach my yearly out-of-pocket expenses. HSA card already has more than my yearly expenses. 

I still have US residency. I don't live here permentantly. Every two/three months I go to USA for 2/3 months. So I need US insurance also. In fact I need World Wide insurance as I go to Europe every here for 2/3 months also. I need an US insurance that covers world wide. 

Catastrphic insurance is the best invention since slice bread if one can get it ????. Comes with an tax free HSA account, no limit on expenses after out-of-pocket is met. 

HSA cards are accepted World WIde becuase it is a VISA/MC backed by your money in HSA account. I have used them in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Netherlands. But not accepted in most pharamcies outside the hospital in Thailand like boots, mom-and-pop pharamacies. 

Edited by Vascoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Jim P said:

Exactly, Get something such as my friend caught, Guillain Barre Syndrome, 5 months in hospital and 3 years of ongoing treatment, see what that does to your bank account if your not insured.

I will go to the US and use my UHC insurance. There is no limit to the expenes I could incur once I meet my out-pocket expenses which is $6750. Already have an HSA account with double the amount of my out-of-pocket expenses. 

59 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Of course they can. You should offer 200.000 baht, I'm sure they say yes.

I don't think they will ask for 200K. For a new O conversion and then extension is 10K. Going to HCMC and come back is around 3K? So 10+3 = 13K. If some body can do it for 15K, I am OK. Avoid the hassle of going to HCMC.

Edited by Vascoda
  • Like 1

Not in the case of something like this, you won`t be allowed to fly, pretty much paralysed overnight and bed bound, linked to food poisoning from shellfish. Won`t immigration accept your insurance? I`m sure there are many military retirees that have insurance that will be accepted.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think the seasoning is waived when agents arrange an extension. I think a officer approves the extension with fake proof it was in the bank for 2 months. Easy to make a copy of a legit bank and add a few lines to it showing the money in the bank.

It could be done the same way for insurance I assume.

i know people that have a 1 year extension ' retirement' with no bank account in Thailand, and no proof of enough monthly income

9 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i know people that have a 1 year extension ' retirement' with no bank account in Thailand, and no proof of enough monthly income

I am sure something was created to attach to the application to be kept in immigrations files. That would be done  to protect the approving officer if an investigation was done.

26 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure something was created to attach to the application to be kept in immigrations files. That would be done  to protect the approving officer if an investigation was done.

i agree something would be required for any future probes into extensions at that office, its something that in my mind is not worth the risks, but i fear is happening a lot in some areas.

11 hours ago, William Osborne said:

The imposed Thai insurance is cover for 40k outpatient and 400k in patient so pretty useless for serious illness/accident..

Better to get your own insurance sorted that covers life threatening diseases.

Pacific Cross has several plans that qualify for the O-A visa/extension.  The Maxima plan for instance pays up to 5,000,000 baht per incidence(not per year).  Some with lower and higher coverage than this.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

And you really think these B.S. insurances would cover such a treatment? 

My UHC health insurance will cover (for experimental drugs/treatment not yet approved by FDA, American insurance companies do deny. But FDA approved treatment hey can't deny), if not greedy lawyers are waiting for a "Rain Maker" type lawsuit. 

Edited by Vascoda
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jim P said:

Why wouldn`t you want health insurance, who`s going to pay if you need extensive treatment?

Who is going to pay if it's from a pre-existing condition? or they just say that's the cause. Who is going to pay if bill is 5 million? I can put 400,000 on my credit card. Who is going to sell a policy to someone living in Thailand and is 80? 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think the seasoning is waived when agents arrange an extension. I think a officer approves the extension with fake proof it was in the bank for 2 months. Easy to make a copy of a legit bank and add a few lines to it showing the money in the bank.

It could be done the same way for insurance I assume.

The problem with that is, the participating insurance companies are required to log clients details in the Immigration computer system, whereas banks of course don’t.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Vascoda said:

Catastrphic insurance is the best invention since slice bread if one can get it ????. Comes with an tax free HSA account, no limit on expenses after out-of-pocket is met. 

From what I'm reading re catastrophic health insurance plans in the U.S., you either need to be under age 30 in order to qualify, or have one of a series of hardship situations to qualify for an exemption... with the list being a lot of things that typically would not apply to most people.

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/2019-exemptions-catastrophic-coverage/

• Like 1