Can an agent submitted extension application not require health insurance for an O-A extension

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Pacific Cross has several plans that qualify for the O-A visa/extension.  The Maxima plan for instance pays up to 5,000,000 baht per incidence(not per year).  Some with lower and higher coverage than this.

And at 60yo it is 80,000 baht pa,

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Agree, rock and a hard place, 80,000 baht per annum or 220 baht per day for private health insurance is a lot for most people, that said, it has to be looked as an investment, i.e. to protect your life's savings.

An example would be: 

Let's say you self insure because you have 10,000,000 baht in the bank, all and good right, well yes, i.e. if nothing goes wrong, and that 80,000 baht builds annually, but as we get older our conditions can worsen, it's a given, and things are worsening here in Thailand, e.g. the air quality, for one, then we have the chemicals being sprayed on our vegetables etc etc etc, the list can be so long, so I will spare us.

No if your unlucky enough to end up with some condition and need emergency treatment, albeit a heart attack, and require a stent, well in a public hospital for treatment, your savings could drop down in the area of between 2,000,000-3,000,000 baht in no time, if not more, now to recouple that in annual savings against the savings on the 80,000 baht which you would have paid for private health cover annually, it would take you 25 years on 2 million baht or 37 plus years on 3 million baht outlaid to re-coupe that money you paid out of your savings.

How many people do you know that are that lucky, i.e. to have escaped a hospital visit for surgery, I for one won't go to a public hospital here, that is just me, albeit some have said, some are as good if not better than some privates, I will leave that there.

I am 59 turning 60 this year and pay around 60,000 baht per annum which also covers a pre-existing condition, the amount I am covered for is 1.2USD so I feel confident to have that Vs losing my life's savings, or a big slice of it for the sake of saving a few baht or less than 1% of 10,000,000 baht.

if and when the S**t hits the fan is when the real fun starts I have viewed one such meltdown a few years back, the Agent (one of the main players)

fell out with her boyfriend (immigration officer) and about twenty passports were seized and kept by the officer for months, most people had to pay ''overstay'' of 20,000 baht and after trips to BKK and another all day outing

to the immigration/police station they all got their passports back. all kept in house no investigation they are a law un to themselves and can do anything they want.... the only people who got in bother was the Farangs.

you never know what can happen if you put yourself in their hands.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I took the PC Standard Extra with the maximum excess (300 000 baht) and paid 32 000 baht (68 yrs old) with exclusions on virtually everything. I take the view that it’s not a policy, just another - expensive - piece of paper necessary to stay here. I have “proper” cover through another far cheaper policy, as we all do.

I would’ve gone the ‘expiry/exit/arrive/visa exempt/O’ route but have concerns the insurance requirement will spread to O, so for 2020 at least I’ll take the hit. When you have to commit 800 000 baht, another 3 000 a month won’t break the bank. My view, anyway....

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

I took the PC Standard Extra with the maximum excess (300 000 baht) and paid 32 000 baht (68 yrs old) with exclusions on virtually everything. I take the view that it’s not a policy, just another - expensive - piece of paper necessary to stay here. I have “proper” cover through another far cheaper policy, as we all do.

I would’ve gone the ‘expiry/exit/arrive/visa exempt/O’ route but have concerns the insurance requirement will spread to O, so for 2020 at least I’ll take the hit. When you have to commit 800 000 baht, another 3 000 a month won’t break the bank. My view, anyway....

Just like you said, your insurance police is next to useless with exclusions and the 300k excess.

Even if you can afford 32k a year, it's like flushing down the money in the toilet. I guess the cost will increase when you reach 70. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vascoda said:

If that is the case my insurance will pay 100% after out of pocket expense of $6750. If doctors say cannot go to USA, they will pay 100% after out-of pocket expense. That means I have to spend from my pocket the first $6750 and then they pay 100%. Immigration does not accept my current insurance. I am not worried about immigration. I can fly out and enter visa exempt and then convert to non-O and then extension.

do it, better get the conversion to a Non-O.  For this, your O/A or its extension must become void. Note that at some point in the future, old O/A's will fall under the requirement for a Thai insurance out of the 13 insurances in the tgia-list. Your U.S. insurance will not be accepted by immigration.  However this says nothing about your U.S, insurance is very good for you to have, and be insured when living abroad . . myself I would never go without being covered, I already needed it last year and it has cost my insurance 1.2 Million Baht

• Like 1

Just now, Caine said:

Your days are numbered health insurance will be required for all retirement visas shortly. It's their way of reducing the Cheap Charlie retirees they don't want. Obvious 

You are likely correct, but I still see it advantageous to avoid  buying a poor policy in the mean time. Once I get the extension, I have a year where it is not necessary.

I think, if a young guy or a retiree, one should have a good insurance because I'm in the health business and know about the costs of treatment and that they can eat all your funds, even if you're well off.

In Germany such an insurance is mandatory which I don't like. Everyone should be free to decide for himself.

What they request now in Thailand is a bad joke. If you're ill seriously, the coverage is laughable. So these "insurances are useless and not worth the paper they're written on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vascoda said:

I already have an UHC catastrophic insurance for unlimited amount with an HSA card that has $12000 tax free savings accumulated over 10-year. My yearly out-of-pocket limit is $6750 (by US law). That means, insunace will pay 100% after I reach my yearly out-of-pocket expenses. HSA card already has more than my yearly expenses. 

I still have US residency. I don't live here permentantly. Every two/three months I go to USA for 2/3 months. So I need US insurance also. In fact I need World Wide insurance as I go to Europe every here for 2/3 months also. I need an US insurance that covers world wide. 

Catastrphic insurance is the best invention since slice bread if one can get it ????. Comes with an tax free HSA account, no limit on expenses after out-of-pocket is met. 

HSA cards are accepted World WIde becuase it is a VISA/MC backed by your money in HSA account. I have used them in Bangkok, Pattaya, and Netherlands. But not accepted in most pharamcies outside the hospital in Thailand like boots, mom-and-pop pharamacies. 

But crucially not accepted by Thai immigration. Though titty.

5 minutes ago, Caine said:

Your days are numbered health insurance will be required for all retirement visas shortly. It's their way of reducing the Cheap Charlie retirees they don't want. Obvious 

If that would be the reason for the new rules, they would accept foreign insurances that are by far better (and much more expensive) than the B.S. they want us to buy.

1 hour ago, Caine said:

I have often wondered whether I am considered a Cheap Charlie by Immigration. My 1900THB extension plus 1000 THB re entry is much less than clients of agents pay. 

Edited by tgeezer

54 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

If that would be the reason for the new rules, they would accept foreign insurances that are by far better (and much more expensive) than the B.S. they want us to buy.

Indeed. It's obvious this is blatant corruption at its worst -- with brown envelopes from the Thai insurance companies going to, not just Immigration, but to the Ministry of Health. My US military Tricare insurance covers about everything, with a minor deductible as well as co-pays, ending with a catastrophic cap of $3000. I pay $142/month for Medicare premiums for this Tricare coverage, so it certainly isn't free. But, it certainly puts me in the category as a non abuser of Thai health care -- and isn't this where the Thais want it to be? Nope. Buy a piece of shiit Thai policy, to keep the cash flow coming....

My contact to the US Air Attache, delineating this problem, has had no response. GodD..., the number of Air Force retirees here, with Tricare, 'cause of Vietnam related duty, must be rather large -- why can't a current active duty blue suiter kick some butt in our behalf? Tell the ROKAF, without some kick butt assistance, he might just dry up all those old F-16 parts coming from the bone yard -- to keep all those ancient Thai F-16A's flying.... I would think a Thai Air Chief Marshall could have some sway with Immigration and M of Health....I mean, this a military government, no?

Anyway, I won't hold my breath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Just like you said, your insurance police is next to useless with exclusions and the 300k excess.

Even if you can afford 32k a year, it's like flushing down the money in the toilet. I guess the cost will increase when you reach 70. 

Hopefully, as I’ll never use it, I’ll get the no claims rebates  - 10% first year, then 20% - but even better I’ll come off it if Non O is let alone.

Anyone in thailand with a written authorization can submit an extension application to any thai immigration office. OA extension Will Not be Accepted with out current dated and certified Medical insurance.  PAY attention to expiry of your insurance!

Most of my friends do not speak English and they use google translate all ThaiVisa posts. 

You are on Non-OA retirement in Thailand and you have plenty of time to do it on your own

Only total wimp would support thai visa agents and contribute to future problems 

My friends and I have international insurance form home, but many will not qualify for new thai approved insurance companies insurance 

\

Not intended as insult

Enjoy your life 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From what I'm reading re catastrophic health insurance plans in the U.S., you either need to be under age 30 in order to qualify, or have one of a series of hardship situations to qualify for an exemption... with the list being a lot of things that typically would not apply to most people.

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-coverage-exemptions/2019-exemptions-catastrophic-coverage/

That is if you apply only through healcare.gov. But you can buy it from indivudual insurnce companies. It was available even before ACA (healtchcare.gov). They also changed the category. Now it is called high deductible health plan which is basically catastropic insurance coupled with an HSA account. These high deductible health haealth plan must accompany an HSA account.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-deductible_health_plan

And more details of UHC HSA plan. 

https://www.uhc.com/individual-and-family/member-resources/health-care-programs/hsa-plans

Edited by Vascoda
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vascoda said:

That is if you apply only through healcare.gov. But you can buy it from indivudual insurnce companies. It was available even before ACA (healtchcare.gov)

Catastrophic health coverage is available to people under 30, who are looking for minimal coverage and low monthly premiums, and, to those of any age who are eligible due to financial hardship.

https://www.cigna.com/individuals-families/understanding-insurance/what-is-catastrophic-health-insurance

To Apply, You Must Qualify

1. You’re under age 30.

OR

2. You’ve completed a Hardship Exemption Application to find out if you’re eligible, including whether minimal essential coverage is affordable.

https://www.uhone.com/insurance/health/catastrophic

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
22 minutes ago, Vascoda said:

That is if you apply only through healcare.gov. But you can buy it from indivudual insurnce companies. It was available even before ACA (healtchcare.gov)

Catastrophic health coverage is available to people under 30, who are looking for minimal coverage and low monthly premiums, and, to those of any age who are eligible due to financial hardship.

https://www.cigna.com/individuals-families/understanding-insurance/what-is-catastrophic-health-insurance

To Apply, You Must Qualify

1. You’re under age 30.

OR

2. You’ve completed a Hardship Exemption Application to find out if you’re eligible, including whether minimal essential coverage is affordable.

https://www.uhone.com/insurance/health/catastrophic

Only for ACA comlpiant catastropic plan. For non-ACA complliance plan, you can buy  it for any age byt it must accompany with an HSA account. 
These are now called HSA plan or high deductible plans.  An ACA compliant catastropic plan does not require HSA account. 

https://www.uhc.com/individual-and-family/member-resources/health-care-programs/hsa-plans

Though it is not required now, but during Obama admin, you needed a certificate for ACA compliant insurnace for filing tax returns. And HSA plan with out-pocket-expense $6750 was ACA complaint. 

Edited by Vascoda
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

If you know anything about health insurances,you would know that the thai insurances you need to chose from if having an O-A Visa/extension are very expensive and in many cases useless. If you want an insurance you get one yourself from a company of your choice and there are loads of options which is cheaper and better. This is why you go for a Non-immigrant O Visa based on retirement instead of an O-A Visa.

I already had insurance with one of the quoted companies. 5m baht cover, 40,000 baht, thats hardly too expensive if I need medical treatment. What is expensive is choosing to go with the minimum requirement just to satisfy the visa conditions.

On 1/24/2020 at 2:53 PM, Jim P said:

Exactly, Get something such as my friend caught, Guillain Barre Syndrome, 5 months in hospital and 3 years of ongoing treatment, see what that does to your bank account if your not insured.

and  would ANY  policy  pay  out  for 3  years?

43 minutes ago, Jim P said:

I doubt it but your hospital treatment would be covered which would be the biggest part of the expense.

I might be wrong, but I don't think insurance companies can cancel your policy during ongoing treatment.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I might be wrong, but I don't think insurance companies can cancel your policy during ongoing treatment.

Under ACA, in the USA they cannot cancel it. They will face a major lawsuit. Trump's executive order only allows buying non-ACA compliant insurance and not getting fined by IRS