How to unfreeze UK pension .

i was able to claim my basic UK pension of 102 pounds per week aprox 4+ years ago and i very recently heard of a guy who returned to blighty and after proving certain criteria he was granted the going rate wich i think was around 165 quid P/W  i have tried searching here and another forum but cant find the topic so any help would be much appreciated.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Not if you remain in the UK for a period of time. What that period is, I'm not sure. 6 months? 12 months?

I think the guy said he got it in aprox 7 weeks and that he purchased a property up lake district also provided proof that he left here on a one way ticket and i think he had to provide a UK bank details along with doctors address and something about  council tax ??

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

I think the guy said he got it in aprox 7 weeks and that he purchased a property up lake district also provided proof that he left here on a one way ticket and i think he had to provide a UK bank details along with doctors address and something about  council tax ??

This topic is in the pinned section; it provides details of what is required and websites you can contact for advice.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, elwood said:

This topic is in the pinned section; it provides details of what is required and websites you can contact for advice.

Nothing really relevant to this thread. The only thing I found with any relevance is the Age UK factsheet which states:

"If you have not been getting the annual increases, your pension is increased to the current rate when you return to live in the UK"

Which suggests that you are eligable for the full pension rate as soon as you return.

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
37 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Most of the above not required. Need to prove that you are "habitually resident" in the UK. There is no legally laid down formula for this. Normally three proofs required.

1. British passport. i.e you are a British citizen.

2. Statement by you that you have returned to take up permanent residence in the UK. Nothing more than your word required for this.

3. You have a UK address. Can be a friend's house but if you aren't on the electoral register at that address, the normal resident may be asked to vouch for you. Usually not. You can rent accommodation and be classed as "habitually resident" within 24 hours of your return. Your rental agreement would be proof of residence.

You have to prove habitual resident for pension credit.

For unfreezing pension prove ordinary residence.

for ordinary residence Shah is regardrd as the standard required.

21 minutes ago, izod10 said:

You do not have to do anything,non-sanction benefit  nothing the dwp can do about ,nothing ever been done,just you are in UK for? that long

if proof needed a one way printed copy of  Easy Jet from close by   sent from wherever

With regards Sanctionable benefit you are displaying your ignorance

Sanctionable benefits refer to a specific part of legislation which allow the government to apply a form of penalty on such benefits.

The term non sanctionable does not have its ordinary meaning that the benefit cannot be used to pay a penalty.

As an example a pensioner who is imprisoned loses entitlement to state pension.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

You have to prove habitual resident for pension credit.

For unfreezing pension prove ordinary residence.

for ordinary residence Shah is regardrd as the standard required.

Ordinary residence according to "Shah":

"An individual who is living lawfully in the United Kingdom voluntarily and for settled purposes as part of the regular order of their life for the time being, whether of long or short duration, with an identifiable purpose for their residence here which has a sufficient degree of continuity to be properly described as settled "

Same criteria as I described earlier.

Edited by DannyCarlton
19 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Sanctionable benefits refer to a specific part of legislation which allow the government to apply a form of penalty on such benefits.

The term non sanctionable does not have its ordinary meaning that the benefit cannot be used to pay a penalty.

Right,  DWP goes on to explain how or if a non-sanctionable benefit would pay a penalty. This would be enforced by way of a benefit attached to the non-sanctionable benefit,and the wording is "maybe"

Admittance to NHS hospital would also render loss of pension

12 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Right,  DWP goes on to explain how or if a non-sanctionable benefit would pay a penalty. This would be enforced by way of a benefit attached to the non-sanctionable benefit,and the wording is "maybe"

Admittance to NHS hospital would also render loss of pension

Do you have a link to the pension loss for NHS admittance. My understanding it would only affect pension credit

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

That was me, yes, 7 weeks and property in The Lakes.

Plane ticket purchased in the UK, UK bank account, doctors address and also Council Tax and Electoral roll registration.

What other question can I answer?

• Like 1

Now I 've read some of the other posts in the thread, let me correct some points:

There is no minimum period of residency and there are no set documents you have to produce although I did include the things I stated earlier just as a precaution, I wasn't asked to provide anything other than my N.I. I was asked to fill out a questionnaire which serves as the basis for their decision regarding residency/state pension uplift. Questions include where you bought your plane ticket (in the UK is the correct answer), where your personal possessions are stored (in the UK is the right answer), and so on and so on.

You have to declare what is your settled and usual lifestyle when it comes to living in  the UK versus visits abroad. A settled and usual lifestyle in my case includes living in my UK flat for 4 to 6 months each year and then travelling abroad for the remainder of the year.

Do not confuse the requirements for tax residency with the requirement for state pension uplift, they are not the same.

Technically, NHS eligibility (except emergency care) requires you to spend no more than 90 days out of the country each year and that must be in an EU country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, saengd said:

Technically, NHS eligibility (except emergency care) requires you to spend no more than 90 days out of the country each year and that must be in an EU country.

Completely untrue. To register with a GP you require an address and 2 proofs of address and NI number, NHS number is an advantage. I used bank statements from 2 banks with my address on them. If you have just returned to the UK and, lets say, you are living with a friend, your friend can go with you with his relevant documentation and vouch that you are now living at his address.

You will not be asked for your passport, entry on the electoral roll or periods in/out of the country. Registering with a GP takes minutes. Once registered with a GP he can refer you to a hospital  where no questions will be asked other than the name of your GP.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

So what you are stating that non-sanctionable(in its ordinary meaning)cannot be used to pay a penalty,is this your gobbledegook or does it (DWP) actually state as such,as I read the passage the DWP states specifically that other entitlement  (maybe)  adjusted that are attached to named benefit,so the actual benefit is untouched

The example you give is nonsense to being a penalty as such for there is no punishment penalty there,what he had is made up from penal system

10 minutes ago, izod10 said:

So what you are stating that non-sanctionable(in its ordinary meaning)cannot be used to pay a penalty,is this your gobbledegook or does it (DWP) actually state as such,as I read the passage the DWP states specifically that other entitlement  (maybe)  adjusted that are attached to named benefit,so the actual benefit is untouched

The example you give is nonsense to being a penalty as such for there is no punishment penalty there,what he had is made up from penal system

Sanctionable Benefit has a specific meaning within the various Social Security Acts.

Although State Pension is  a non Sanctionable Benefit it does not preclude leveraging a penalty or fine or repayment against the money received.

Many pensioners have received prison sentences for benefit fraud , upon which results in the loss of state pension entitlement

2 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

Sanctionable Benefit has a specific meaning within the various Social Security Acts.

Although State Pension is  a non Sanctionable Benefit it does not preclude leveraging a penalty or fine or repayment against the money received.

Many pensioners have received prison sentences for benefit fraud , upon which results in the loss of state pension entitlement

A tad off the ball game but  i once met a guy here about 7 years ago who was recieving heating allowences from his Uk pension whilst living here for a number of years and some one shopped him and he paid it back but i think he may be ashes in the wind by now.