How to unfreeze UK pension .

I had a neighbour who was living in Thailand but used his friends London address which enabled him to get his yearly pension increase illegally I think it went on for 5/6 years . Apparently after a few years a letter was sent to his friends address to ask confirmation as to if he was living there to cut along story short he got caught out and he owned up to living in Thailand . The outcome was that pension department worked out the overpayments and reduced his pension accordingly I think they reduced it for just under 3 years to say he was not happy was an understatement as this was going through he asked if he could claim child allowance as he had a 5 year old son the simple answer was NO.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Going back to the UK for a short stay is a great idea but to do it simply to get more money? Considering travel costs etc., I doubt if that would be cost effective.

If you knew what i was surving on you would jump at the chance, i get thru with aprox 15000 bht per mth and a prayer or 2 for a few E.bay sales which have dived due to xmass thru to around april due to folks paying off seasonal debts overseas. 

On 1/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, izod10 said:

You do not have to do anything,non-sanction benefit  nothing the dwp can do about ,nothing ever been done,just you are in UK for? that long

if proof needed a one way printed copy of  Easy Jet from close by   sent from wherever

Hope for the best. 

Dwp sends you a questionnaire to determine whether you are habitually resident. One of the questions is :do you own the property", another one whether this home is available at any time (if you just rent). This means you need a permanent address at all times. If caught cheating, they eventually fine you by deducting money.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I had a neighbour who was living in Thailand but used his friends London address which enabled him to get his yearly pension increase illegally I think it went on for 5/6 years . Apparently after a few years a letter was sent to his friends address to ask confirmation as to if he was living there to cut along story short he got caught out and he owned up to living in Thailand . The outcome was that pension department worked out the overpayments and reduced his pension accordingly I think they reduced it for just under 3 years to say he was not happy was an understatement as this was going through he asked if he could claim child allowance as he had a 5 year old son the simple answer was NO.

Always someone else,friend/neighbour load of tosh,rubbish....,unless it was pension credit,now your talking

state pension is non-sanctionable...more fairy tales

Edited by izod10
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Hope for the best. 

Dwp sends you a questionnaire to determine whether you are habitually resident. One of the questions is :do you own the property", another one whether this home is available at any time (if you just rent). This means you need a permanent address at all times. If caught cheating, they eventually fine you by deducting money.

garbage

• Like 1
On 1/24/2020 at 2:37 PM, cleopatra2 said:

Do you have a link to the pension loss for NHS admittance. My understanding it would only affect pension credit

Does not apply to being in hospital, when in hospital, you will still have bills to pay in your home, ie TV licence, council tax, maybe running a car etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/24/2020 at 7:15 PM, URMySunshine said:

What's to stop some entrepreneurial guy here offering a temporary gaff and postal address to overseas expats for a cut on the basis of no questions asked and postal address / letter opening service. Not offering just saying !

There are official companies that will give you a street address and pass on mail to you, but for a price. You can get a business address or a private address depending on which company you use.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:27 PM, saengd said:

I think one of the reasons I didn't get my heating allowance the previous year was because my flat was rented to a pensioner for 6 months during the qualifying week and they wouldn't make two payments to the same address to different names, without some kind of checks beforehand. I think if DWP saw say a dozen pensioners all using the same address they would check.

I don't think they would check automatically, only if someone tells them, as I understand it, they do not have the staff to start checking all of each OAPs addresses.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jomtien john said:

Hi having returned last year to uk it's a phone call to international pensions to confirm your back in uk.

Your pension will be updated to the higher uk full pension on your next payday.

As for the statement my friend bought a house when his pension is frozen you only get the increase it is not backdated beware if you want to lie about residency if uk pension cant get hold of you they can stop your pension,until they receive a life certificate ( to prove your still alive)it happened to me and when I contacted them I had to pay back 4 years overpayments,and they could tell me the date time and flight I left the uk in 2013.tell lies at your own risk.sorry its longwinded

So you were on Pension Credit    I should think so too

1 hour ago, Jomtien john said:

Hi having returned last year to uk it's a phone call to international pensions to confirm your back in uk.

Your pension will be updated to the higher uk full pension on your next payday.

As for the statement my friend bought a house when his pension is frozen you only get the increase it is not backdated beware if you want to lie about residency if uk pension cant get hold of you they can stop your pension,until they receive a life certificate ( to prove your still alive)it happened to me and when I contacted them I had to pay back 4 years overpayments,and they could tell me the date time and flight I left the uk in 2013.tell lies at your own risk.sorry its longwinded

Please post a copy of the court order requiring you to pay money back.

As you say, tell lies at your own risk.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/24/2020 at 11:47 AM, DannyCarlton said:

Not if you remain in the UK for a period of time. What that period is, I'm not sure. 6 months? 12 months?

There is no specific time and no specific list of conditions that asses you in this case.  The Pension Service told me in answer to a specific question on how to get assessed as having permanently returned to UK and thus having your pension permanently brought into line with the current UK payment was that...

Ít would be reviewed by a committee above this level that would seek to confirm that you had permanently returned and severed your links with Thailand'.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, BritManToo said:

Move to the Philippines would be the easiest choice.

As they have a pension increase agreement with the UK.

Great minds think alike. However, I do not fancy having to live in Da Phils permanently, I can only take just so much of Bugs Bunny. I wondered if it would be possible to establish an address there and then return to Thailand once the pension was up and running? I suspect the Govt checks initially and then all goes quiet and can be managed by e mail.

Anyone got experience of this?

1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Great minds think alike. However, I do not fancy having to live in Da Phils permanently, I can only take just so much of Bugs Bunny. I wondered if it would be possible to establish an address there and then return to Thailand once the pension was up and running? I suspect the Govt checks initially and then all goes quiet and can be managed by e mail.

Anyone got experience of this?

14 days a year is all that's required for residency, but I believe the initial period is 6 weeks.

But pointless to discuss something the DWP could never confirm.

Easier to claim you never left the UK in the first place (and avoid the proof of life nonsense).

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

14 days a year is all that's required for residency, but I believe the initial period is 6 weeks.

Easier to claim you never left the UK in the first place (and avoid the proof of life nonsense).

You naughty man, but I like the way you think! Are you presuming you could apply online from outside the UK? But would they send documents to your UK address by post that require a response?

5 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

You naughty man, but I like the way you think! Are you presuming you could apply online from outside the UK? But would they send documents to your UK address by post that require a response?

Have a holiday in the Uk, sort your pension out, then leave after the payments start.

How long could it take? a week, a month, two months?

Get a new passport and new bank card at the same time.

Edited by BritManToo
6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Have a holiday in the Uk, sort your pension out, then leave after the payments start.

That might work whilst I still own a house there, but it is up for sale and I have no desire to return to the land of the living dead.

From reading the other posts here, it looks like a visit to the Land of Bugs Bunny would be easier, cheaper and more pleasant. Plus, once set up, they are less likely to come after you all the way to Da Phils. Though how would one maintain a postal address in Da Phils after returning to Thailand? Do they ask for proof of Visa? Anyone on here ever done it in Da Phils?

Edited by DaRoadrunner
1 minute ago, DaRoadrunner said:

That might work whilst I still own a house there, but it is up for sale and I have no desire to return to the land of the living dead.

From reading the other posts here, it looks like a visit to the Land of Bugs Bunny would be easier, cheaper and more pleasant. Plus, once set up, they are less likely to come after you all the way to Da Phils. Though how would one maintain a postal address in Da Phils? Do they ask for proof of Visa? Anyone on here ever done it in Da Phils?

Just look up PO boxes PH   or anywhere actually, think Id go for Spain if I was easing myself back into the UK for a while. US mailboxes highly efficient cheap too,but UK far better as you could renew UK driving licence,no life form,bit extra for winter fuel

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Just look up PO boxes PH   or anywhere actually, think Id go for Spain if I was easing myself back into the UK for a while. US mailboxes highly efficient cheap too,but UK far better as you could renew UK driving licence,no life form,bit extra for winter fuel

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we set out to deceive.

Also doubt the pensions office will go for the PO Box number.

I do warm to the idea of claiming winter heating allowance while roasting in Thailand.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Surely eventually you would come unstuck when you re new the passport and they see where you are really living? Don't they scan all the pages even if you do it in the UK? I guess you could always 'lose' the pass port but then you might have a job back in LOS to convince them you did not lose it and can they transfer yer stamps over.

On 1/24/2020 at 1:12 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Most of the above not required. Need to prove that you are "habitually resident" in the UK. There is no legally laid down formula for this. Normally three proofs required.

1. British passport. i.e you are a British citizen.

2. Statement by you that you have returned to take up permanent residence in the UK. Nothing more than your word required for this.

3. You have a UK address. Can be a friend's house but if you aren't on the electoral register at that address, the normal resident may be asked to vouch for you. Usually not. You can rent accommodation and be classed as "habitually resident" within 24 hours of your return. Your rental agreement would be proof of residence.

a friend can just download a rent agreement it could take up to 3 months to process your new rate.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Three months with a home visit so my "friend" told me. 

22 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Surely eventually you would come unstuck when you re new the passport and they see where you are really living? Don't they scan all the pages even if you do it in the UK? I guess you could always 'lose' the pass port but then you might have a job back in LOS to convince them you did not lose it and can they transfer yer stamps over.

You don"t need a passport to live in the UK.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we set out to deceive.

I do warm to the idea of claiming winter heating allowance while roasting in Thailand.

Don't you need an allowance for A/C

32 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

No photocopies of passport in the UK, renewal while you wait in London.

No requirement to have a passport in order to claim a pension.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I'm fairly certain homeless people are entitled to pensions (if they ever paid NI).

I've always used the last address I stayed at in the UK.

My bank doesn't seem to care, the DVLC doesn't care, the passport office didn't care, my doctor doesn't care.

Once you've lived at an address, nobody ever requires you to still prove you live there.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1