Why did Neil Young become a citizen of the USA after 54 years

Skallywag

"Fifty-four years after illegally crossing the U.S. border in a Pontiac hearse, Neil Young has become an American citizen. ... Young explained to fans that the process had been delayed because of the “good moral character” provision on the immigrant application — meaning he admitted to smoking weed."

Does anyone know why?  ( Or does anyone really care?  hahaha )

Read 3 news articles online and none stated why he became a citizen.

Seems a negative to me, as he will now have to pay taxes in 2 countries, Canada and U.S., though doubt he has any money concerns.

Maybe Daryl Hannah wants him to cast a vote in November?

Maybe she just wants to make sure she can collect his social security pension? 

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/479570-neil-young-celebrates-his-new-us-citizenship

Maybe he wants to be able to vote for Bernie since he stated that's who he favors politically.

Skallywag said:

Seems a negative to me, as he will now have to pay taxes in 2 countries, Canada and U.S.

Since he has been a US resident for decades he was already subject to US taxation on his world-wide income.

USA is one of the few countries that taxes it citizens even when they live abroad.  Canada does NOT do that.  Since he left Canada when he was about 21 he probably won't qualify for CPP or OAS, the Canadian equivalent of Social Security.  Therefor he most likely won't have income sourced in Canada which would be subject to Canadian taxes.

So....no financial disadvantage to becoming US citizen

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I doubt he can run very long. Have you seen a recent picture of him? 

Well, he's a survivor of a very creative and exciting era after all, time fades away, but many of his songs will stay.

Together with Bob Dylan, my favourite story teller.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, he's a survivor of a very creative and exciting era after all, time fades away, but many of his songs will stay.

Together with Bob Dylan, my favourite story teller.

I was kidding. I always likes Neil Young as an artist and a person.

• Like 1