BANGKOK
cornishcarlos

Solar components, where ??

Hi,

Apart from Lazada, where are people buying solar components from ? 

What's the better brands for panels, charge controller and inverters and deep cycle batteries ?? 

Lots out there of varying costs, so would like recommendations based on personal experience... Looking at setting up a small system for our little holiday hut in Chaiyaphum... 100-200w with a 50-100Ah battery, just for some lighting and charging stuff incl my power tools batteries !!!

IMG_20200123_071945.jpg

• Like 2

Amorn (in a Tesco Lotus superstore near you), Shoppee and AliExpress.

Nice hut!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Inverters from AliExpress (China), panels from Amorn, batteries - none we're grid tie.

Mounting hardware from the local metal shop.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Any particular brands to use or stay away from ??

I always get the cheapest.

A 330w solar panel is around 3,500bht, 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/solar-panel-poly-crystalline-solar-panel-330w-36v-model-sp330w-poly-i407726004-s791906340.html

100AH deep cycle battery 5,000bht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/deep-cycle-volta-tbl1000s-100ah-i663616897-s1295572975.html

Charge controller 1,200bht 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/yh-50a-solar-charge-controller-48v36v24v12v-solar-panel-intelligent-regulator-with-backlight-lcd-displaymax-100vdc-input-i243320403-s373268858.html

And an inverter suitable for your power needs. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

For solar panels try Global House if you have one nearby.   In Phitsanulok store they had a stack of.......I think 280w panels for 3300 baht each.  Which is a good price in LOS.  If you know what else you need Aliexpress is probably your cheapest option....maybe not with inverters....but it's free to look! 

• Like 1

I got my setup by:

[Amorn]

330w panels from Amorn, together with 15m solar cable size 6 (They only have black)

and a dozen of MC4 connectors.

The inverter is from ShenZhen (China, via Amorn).

[Shopee]

Mounting rails and clamps from a 'local' dealer

More solar cables,  size 4 and 6 red and black

[Local hardware]

Tools, screws and snuff stuff gathered from here and there

[Batteries]

The setup is ongrid, one panel is reserved for offgrid.

I have ordered a few LiFePo4 batteries to experiment with, the controller just came in (BMS) so that project have to start yet.

Batteries will be for (emergency) lighting which are 12 volt to circumvent the conversion losses.

• Like 1

Do Home has a good selection now if you have a store near you. One thing I will say you get what you pay for when it comes to solar components, many cheap panels only have a 1 or 5 year warranty, same with batteries and inverters. Your roi isnt worth much if they die prematurely and you cant get them replaced on warranty.

• Like 1

Result.. I found a 45Ah battery tucked away, forgot I had it 😆 That's one item ticked off the list... 

IMG_20200125_153638.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I remember Amron had a packaged unit that might work for you. I was thinking of trying to send one home for the Hunting/Fishing shack.  Battery, controller and inverter where self contained.  Had 12v dc outputs for lights and fans they sold. Also had a couple USB ports and a normal plug or two.    

As a side note Dewalt has a 12v car charger for there 12v/20v Max system.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnMc45 said:

As a side note Dewalt has a 12v car charger for there 12v/20v Max system.

I'm using Makita :)

37 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm using Makita 🙂

I believe Makita offers one to. Save you from going from 12v DC to 240v AC back to XXv DC.  Was looking at Makita here in Canada but Dewalt and Milwaukee are just more common. Makita make a tool battery powered coffee maker I found interesting.   

22 minutes ago, JohnMc45 said:

I believe Makita offers one to. Save you from going from 12v DC to 240v AC back to XXv DC.  Was looking at Makita here in Canada but Dewalt and Milwaukee are just more common. Makita make a tool battery powered coffee maker I found interesting.   

I'll take a look...

Yup the coffee maker has been out for a long time but I have heard it eats up batteries !!

Sounds against the thread but if not there all the time a single stroke diesel engine coupled to a generator would be more satisfying.

Maybe or maybe not.

35 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

a single stroke diesel engine

Sorry but there is no such combustion engine. The only single stroke engines are some (and very few) steam engines.

2 stroke and 4 stroke are you only choices for diesel.