Couple killed, motorbike torn apart in single-vehicle accident

webfact

Couple killed, motorbike torn apart in single-vehicle accident

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1579847378_1-org.jpg

The scene of the accident yesterday afternoon (Jan 23). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A man and a woman died on Thepkrsattri Rd in Mai Khao yesterday afternoon (Jan 23) after the motorbike they were riding drifted into the central reservation and slammed into a tree, with the impact tearing the motorbike into pieces.

The couple, who were both wearing helmets, were killed instantly, Capt Akkaraphon Siwilai of the Tha Chatchai Police.

Capt Akkaraphon said police were notified of the accident at 1:50pm.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/couple-killed-motorbike-torn-apart-in-single-vehicle-accident-74519.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-24
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This is CCTV footage in the attached topic. Very strange, just as reported the bike veers off to the right for no apparent reason.

Ok, got it, in the footage of the CM forum is also footage of the Phuket accident. Starts at 46 seconds.

16 hours ago, Old Croc said:

He just turned to the right and headed for a tree.

Murder-suicide?

Rather strange, almost macabre conclusion. I would think that the mortician will be looking for natural causes, stroke or heart failure. I know the rider was relatively young, but it can still happen.

19 hours ago, gargamon said:

Well I guess this answers all those questions about the Honda ADV 150...

Saw this clip on TV, they were riding along as normal then just veered off to the right into the trees... very strange.

Turbulence and slipstream created by the bus and SUV ahead of the motorcycle could have been enough to unsettle a lightweight machine giving it little possibility of recovery.

The high passenger seating position on a lot of these modern bikes raises the CofG and that can’t help stability.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, I wonder said:

Turbulence and slipstream created by the bus and SUV ahead of the motorcycle could have been enough to unsettle a lightweight machine giving it little possibility of recovery.

The high passenger seating position on a lot of these modern bikes raises the CofG and that can’t help stability.

"Turbulence and slipstream created by the bus and SUV ahead of the motorcycle could have been enough to unsettle a lightweight machine giving it little possibility of recovery."

Did you really look at the video?

2 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Do people on motorbikes ever fall asleep? It has never happened to me but I wonder if other people have ever had such an experience. 

Rooster

I have come close to it, so I can imagine people actually falling asleep.

• Sad 1

Flat front tyre maybe? I had one of those once and the bike decided to head off to the right, straight into the oncoming traffic lane. All I could do is hang on and bleed off the speed. I would have dropped the bike if the oncoming lane had been busy, but it was my lucky day as well as the other road users. RIP to the deceased.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Did you really look at the video?

It's so blurry and I am inconclusive why on large part after the truck the surface and the road paintings vanish in a white cloud.

Could be faulty video though.

blurry.jpg

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:
23 hours ago, Old Croc said:

He just turned to the right and headed for a tree.

Murder-suicide?

Rather strange, almost macabre conclusion. I would think that the mortician will be looking for natural causes, stroke or heart failure. I know the rider was relatively young, but it can still happen.

Why strange? Jilted love or loss of face results in murder and suicide almost daily in this country. Do you not read the media here?

A year or so ago, not very far from this accident, a man killed himself by swerving his vehicle to the right to smash into another waiting to enter. He had just murdered his wife and was exiting the scene.

This situation was macabre, not my theory.  Did you see the question mark in my post? Do you understand its meaning? Do you know the difference between a theory and a conclusion?

Did you conclude the rider had a stroke, or were you theorizing?

A little exercise for you, count the question marks in this post and sort them in to queries, conclusions and sarcasm.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Sad 1

Sad. What is more sad, is the apathy, impotence and culpability of those that govern and their inability to stem these senseless roadway deaths through education, enforcement and proactive methods.

2 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Fast puncture. Hit stone at speed.

Not sure about that, I watched it a few times; there didn't seem to be any change in riding style to indicate something was wrong, no "jump, wobble, swerve, wheel shake" nothing. 

Just going straight as normal then a slow curve to the right onto the central reservation and Bang !

I do wonder if the rider feel asleep... it looks just like that.

After watching that video I am sure that the driver lost consciousness.

This could be caused by simply falling asleep, an epileptic seizure of the absence variety, narcolepsy, drug intoxication, stroke, you name it.

The guy veering off the road was either unconscious or in sudden excruciating agony from a heart attack.

Edited by SteveK