Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Thailand's December foreign tourist arrivals up 2.48% year-on-year - ministry

Recommended Posts

I'm just back from Railey (Krabi), Koh Gnai (Trang) and Koh Lipe (Satun) and apart from the odd Thai girlfriend and employee it was full of Caucasian. I won't go back to Railey it was way too overcrowded to my taste. 

 

IMG_20200118_085947-01.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many of my out and back into Thailand trips do they count.  I left and returned over all 4 weekends in December, am on an O-A Multi entry.  If they counted me all 4 times and yet I live here long stay, how does that skew their stats.......

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

 

So more tourists spent less money? That'll be the Indians I expect.

But it used to be somewhere between 18% - 20%

"As Mark Twain famously popularized in the public consciousness, “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.” 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

555 on monday, start of the week, we had a similar post called the Monday joke now, end of the week,  we have the Saturday joke... and yesterday TAT hit the panic button offering free visa for Chinese and Indians, really pathetic

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, yokat said:

It's in line with the 4.5% increase in international arrivals. Where are they going though ? According to many TV posters koh samui, pukhet and pattaya are half empty

Page 152: https://corporate.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/AnnualReport2019en.pdf

Every number, especially from TAT is fake and everyone staying here knows it. The TAT boss is the worst. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s amazing how they come up with these figures especially the amount of money that they spent one things for sure few of them came to Koh Phangan during the festive season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First it’s down then it’s up like a yo-yo can’t they just tell the truth all Hotel and Business are down O I forgot Government reports all BS TIT

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in Phuket they reported half hotels and airbnb are empty. Pattaya is a ghost town. When will they stop to blatantly lie? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, yokat said:

It's in line with the 4.5% increase in international arrivals. Where are they going though ? According to many TV posters koh samui, pukhet and pattaya are half empty

Page 152: https://corporate.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/AnnualReport2019en.pdf

As far as Phuket is concerned, it really depends on where you are located and what sort of tourists your business is targeting. Tourism to Patong Beach is down quite a bit for sure but it’s still very crowded in January. Tourism in Northwest and Centralwest Phuket like Laguna, Kamala, Naithon is way up. Try to book a 5 star hotel right now in one of these areas. Many of the top hotels in this part of Phuket are sold out. 

 

Patong Beach attracts a cheap, lower class type of tourist that doesn’t spend a lot of money. The cheaper backpacker tourist is disappearing in Phuket, simply because they have been priced out. It’s too expensive for them to stay in Phuket.

 

For example, Phuket, due to the fact that it’s run by the Thai mafia, has the most expensive taxis in the world. More expensive than Tokyo, Japan ( This is why you own a car if you live in Phuket ). This is because the mafia beats up any competitors like Grab Taxi drivers. There are a few Grab Taxi drivers in Phuket but they all work for the mafia now so they’re able to control the price. So yeah, you’re looking at 500 baht to drive 6 minutes in a taxi in Phuket. If you’re a backpacker tourist, the cost of taxis alone is enough to scare you away from Phuket. 
 

In other parts of Phuket, it’s a different story. Tourism is way up and it’s mostly the wealthy family crowd. Lots of families are coming to Phuket. These tourists spend big money and have stupid amounts of wealth. These are the kinds of tourists that can afford $18k usd / night at Amanpuri or Trisara.

 

I would argue that luxury tourism is way up in Phuket but that backpacker tourism is way down. A luxury tourist probably === 100 cheap tourists so....

 

I could imagine tourism being down in Samui though. Samui never really caught on in my opinion and never will. We were looking to open a clinic there but opted not to do so after doing our research. It’s a poor long term real estate and business investment. The reason Phuket took off and is still the best place in Thailand to invest your money is because it has an international airport. I mean heck, I can be in downtown Bangkok from my house in Phuket in under 2.5 hours. It takes some people that long to get to work in Bangkok traffic, and they live in Bangkok. I personally couldn’t live in Samui because they simply they don’t have all amazing “developed country” perks that Phuket has. Phuket has everything that most developed countries in the world have so that’s part of its appeal, especially for the wealthy retirement crowd.

 

Hands down, if I had to pick between Hawaii and Phuket for retirement, I would pick Phuket. I have properties in both places so I would know. Hawaii is really nice but it’s extremely boring. Besides surfing and beach volleyball and quality wacky tabaccy, there is nothing to do there and you can’t just quickly fly to a major city like Bangkok, or Kuala Lampur or Hong Kong for a fun night out, dinner, or shopping.

Edited by Duck J Butters
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

 

So more tourists spent less money? That'll be the Indians I expect.

 

Sure arrivals are up but less revenue: The important unit here is   (tourist arrivals x tourist days). eg.  100 arrivals x 5 days is less than 60 arrivals x 12 days. Given equal daily spending.

Edited by morrobay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love to see the breakdown of this by country of origin. That will enable an extrapolation of the size of their wallets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Duck J Butters said:

As far as Phuket is concerned, it really depends on where you are located and what sort of tourists your business is targeting. Tourism to Patong Beach is down quite a bit for sure but it’s still very crowded in January. Tourism in Northwest and Centralwest Phuket like Laguna, Kamala, Naithon is way up. Try to book a 5 star hotel right now in one of these areas. Many of the top hotels in this part of Phuket are sold out. 

 

Patong Beach attracts a cheap, lower class type of tourist that doesn’t spend a lot of money. The cheaper backpacker tourist is disappearing in Phuket, simply because they have been priced out. It’s too expensive for them to stay in Phuket.

 

For example, Phuket, due to the fact that it’s run by the Thai mafia, has the most expensive taxis in the world. More expensive than Tokyo, Japan ( This is why you own a car if you live in Phuket ). This is because the mafia beats up any competitors like Grab Taxi drivers. There are a few Grab Taxi drivers in Phuket but they all work for the mafia now so they’re able to control the price. So yeah, you’re looking at 500 baht to drive 6 minutes in a taxi in Phuket. If you’re a backpacker tourist, the cost of taxis alone is enough to scare you away from Phuket. 
 

In other parts of Phuket, it’s a different story. Tourism is way up and it’s mostly the wealthy family crowd. Lots of families are coming to Phuket. These tourists spend big money and have stupid amounts of wealth. These are the kinds of tourists that can afford $18k usd / night at Amanpuri or Trisara.

 

I would argue that luxury tourism is way up in Phuket but that backpacker tourism is way down. A luxury tourist probably === 100 cheap tourists so....

 

I could imagine tourism being down in Samui though. Samui never really caught on in my opinion and never will. We were looking to open a clinic there but opted not to do so after doing our research. It’s a poor long term real estate and business investment. The reason Phuket took off and is still the best place in Thailand to invest your money is because it has an international airport. I mean heck, I can be in downtown Bangkok from my house in Phuket in under 2.5 hours. It takes some people that long to get to work in Bangkok traffic, and they live in Bangkok. I personally couldn’t live in Samui because they simply they don’t have all amazing “developed country” perks that Phuket has. Phuket has everything that most developed countries in the world have so that’s part of its appeal, especially for the wealthy retirement crowd.

 

Hands down, if I had to pick between Hawaii and Phuket for retirement, I would pick Phuket. I have properties in both places so I would know. Hawaii is really nice but it’s extremely boring. Besides surfing and beach volleyball and quality wacky tabaccy, there is nothing to do there and you can’t just quickly fly to a major city like Bangkok, or Kuala Lampur or Hong Kong for a fun night out, dinner, or shopping.

I dunno I found Honolulu had a lot to offer, a very expensive place to live though, crazy high. I spent two years living in Haleiwa.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...