Merc or Beemer

SoSoCNX

Friends are moving back and I am able to buy his 5yo merc or her 4yo beemer. Both  are Thai made and maintained by dealer. Back home I drove Merc for 15 years with out any problems. In Thailand I drive Honda HRV. If you own one, I would appreciate your reply. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SoSoCNX said:

Friends are moving back and I am able to buy his 5yo merc or her 4yo beemer. Both  are Thai made and maintained by dealer. Back home I drove Merc for 15 years with out any problems. In Thailand I drive Honda HRV.

The 5yo merc or the 4yo beemer either would be OK depending whether I liked the model they are.

The Honda HRV are good too but we know what it is.

I have mercedes only at my house, it makes things easier.  The whole point of buying one is for status with certain people,  if you have a BMW many Thais still have no idea of the value.  But it depends why you are buying one. (maybe you are not doing business here)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which models are they?

Both are likely to be good cars. The BMW may still have 1 year remaining from its 5 year BSI. 

[roll on the comments such as “where I come from a BMW / Merc is a taxi” or “these cars are only for status” or “these cars are overpriced Honda’s” etc etc - from the jealous who can’t really afford them, even though some will still comment that they can afford them but would never spend the money on them !!]

That 1 year remaining on warranty means the value will go down fast in 1 years time.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Some time ago a guy in my condo was selling an immaculate E Class, it looked like new and was low mileage. It was six years old and the asking price was the same as a brand new one back home. I just can’t bring myself to pay c300% tax on a car. Perceived status isn’t that important to me.

But there are those out there with spare cash that want a particular ride. Wish I had the spare cash for a Merc....????

After all, a guy just paid $3,400,000 for the 1968 Mustang from the film Bullit that needs restoring....

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

I agree - without knowing

2 hours ago, kwak250 said:

Without the model its like saying Honda or Yamaha .it all depends on the model i prefer Honda's but if the Honda was a wave125 and the Yamaha was a R1 then it would be different.

Also price of each .

I agree on the model - if the Benz is an A-class, I would pass, all other models should be fine due to similar chassis architecture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It depends on the model and asking price. Overall having owned both in Thailand I prefer Mercedes. The dealer network is a bit stronger, service seems to be better (though I may be biased as I had constant issues with my BMW's brakes), and it has a better image. It used to be that Benz weren't very good to drive but that isn't true anymore.

• Like 1

Usual attitude is Merc is a serious choice, BMW for boy racer. I can only talk about 4x4 and the Merc I had was like driving on a cloud, even smoother than my RR Sport which I preferred for all other reasons. BMW 4x4 can't come close in any way to either. Scorching hot saloon or coupe of course is another matter and I cant comment. So your question is just silly because of lack of detail. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Locally built cars, as these likely are, do not get taxed at 300% so you won't be handing over anything more than any other Thai-made car to the government.

Not true, whilst they aren’t taxed the full 300% they are still considerably more expensive tho I don’t know the exact %age.

• Haha 1