Merc or Beemer

SoSoCNX

On 1/25/2020 at 5:02 PM, Crash999 said:

It used to be that Benz weren't very good to drive but that isn't true anymore.

I’d like to have an S Class with a 7 Series interior. Mercedes have always been bad on interior styling but have done a lot better in the last few years. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, SoSoCNX said:

E200 Coupe vs 218i M Sport

To me 218i is fun to drive but e200 is more comfortable. the price is about the same 

I would go for the E200, I like the coupe styling. Locally built are poor quality compared to original ones from Germany, yet here they cost more. You have to some kind of masochist to pay Thai prices for inferior products.

Reliability wise, the BMW was the worst car I ever owned. It also drank fuel. I am curious to hear what the newer ones are like?

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

I’d like to have an S Class with a 7 Series interior. Mercedes have always been bad on interior styling but have done a lot better in the last few years. 

Funny, I am the opposite. I'd like a Benz interior which handles and drives like a BMW ????

+1 on the guy who said Benz for comfort/luxury/face vs BMW for driver experience/handling/sportiness/fun

I drive a Series 5 and have driven other's E class extensively (both top model 1 generation back from current). I much prefer the BMW. My gf was a big Benz fan (had a few in her family) and then changed her mind once we got the BMW, even prefers it for comfort.

Do a test drive and decide for yourself.

13 hours ago, Fairynuff said:
20 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Locally built cars, as these likely are, do not get taxed at 300% so you won't be handing over anything more than any other Thai-made car to the government.

Not true, whilst they aren’t taxed the full 300% they are still considerably more expensive tho I don’t know the exact %age.

"whilst they aren’t taxed the full 300%..."

So true, then! 

On 1/26/2020 at 10:48 PM, Fairynuff said:

I’d just like an S Class.....

If you want reliability, keep the Honda!! I've had two BMW diesels recently, both had lots of problems, including a snapped Timing chain which is very common on BMW diesels!! I couldn't make my mind up to go for another Lexus or an Infiniti now the BMW has been sold, I've gone for the Infinity Hybrid and am very happy, far superior to any BMW I've driven and I've driven 3, 5 and 7 Series!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tigger01 said:

If you want reliability, keep the Honda!! I've had two BMW diesels recently, both had lots of problems, including a snapped Timing chain which is very common on BMW diesels!! I couldn't make my mind up to go for another Lexus or an Infiniti now the BMW has been sold, I've gone for the Infinity Hybrid and am very happy, far superior to any BMW I've driven and I've driven 3, 5 and 7 Series!!

Which models / engines? I am curious as I have a F10 525D with N57, the 3 litre 6cyl single turbo. It was later replaced with a smaller engine with twin turbos.

It depends where you live. The BMW garage in Chiang Mai has a bad reputation.

On 1/25/2020 at 10:30 AM, kuzie57 said:

If you are a driver the BMW is the choise, if you want comfort and apointments the Merc wins that one.

Not really anymore. The Mercedes models of the last years are also fun to drive, especially since you can select the drive modes (sport, comfort, etc.).

• Like 2

I had no problems with BMW in Chiang Mai over the last 5 years and really enjoyed driving my 320d.  That said, my wife and I decided our driving needs are better suited to an SUV and after test-driving several ended up buying a CX-8.  We have taken it up in the mountains a few times already, to places the BMW couldn't go, and it is really a comfortable ride with more electronic gizmos than I know what to do with.????

Anyone thinking of buying any of these cars - as well as Audi, Volvo, ... long list.

Better plan on selling it before the warranty expires.

Many tales of Merc, BMW, et al dealers in Germany and elsewhere unable to diagnose problems with these cars. Let alone fix them.

Independent repair shops regularly receive cars from the dealers where they are unable to fix them, and need outside expertise.

And if the dealership in Germany, the country where they are built, can not - Abandon Hope all Ye who Live Here

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, rambling said:

Which models / engines? I am curious as I have a F10 525D with N57, the 3 litre 6cyl single turbo. It was later replaced with a smaller engine with twin turbos.

Its the 2 litre diesels, i think the bigger engines are ok, the 2 litre is <deleted>!! I had the F10, drives nice when running but big repair bills, rear suspension collapsed first, another common problem when i googled it, about £800to fix, camchaun £3000,it was a money it, not a patch on Jap rivals, ive had 3 lexus and no problem, i think i had a rear bulb blow on one, thats it!! 

• Like 1

I've had BMW the last 20 years in the UK. Very expensive to maintain outside of warranty, lots to go wrong and they do go wrong, I wouldn't own one again unless I had very very deep pockets. I always had Japanese prior to this, and that is what I'll go back to. Is also what we have in Thailand (Toyota)

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2020 at 8:00 PM, Tigger01 said:

Its the 2 litre diesels, i think the bigger engines are ok, the 2 litre is <deleted>!! I had the F10, drives nice when running but big repair bills, rear suspension collapsed first, another common problem when i googled it, about £800to fix, camchaun £3000,it was a money it, not a patch on Jap rivals, ive had 3 lexus and no problem, i think i had a rear bulb blow on one, thats it!! 

My F10  (520d) still goes like new after close to 7 Years and 65 K Km. Only problem I have had was the tank filler lid did not close and that was when it was 6 month old.

Before that one I had a 320d which engine was water locked , but that is another story and not the cars fault as such.

• Haha 1

BMW is sporty and in my view more exciting to drive, but I'd prefer the Mercedes as it is a front wheel drive and is more stable. I drove a BMW with low tread at the rear and aquaplaned on a rain sodden motorway ... not a great experience, but a lesson learned. 

Well, the lesson learned is to replace the rear tyres well before the legal limit is reached. However it sounds as though it wasn't your car.

I do prefer front wheel drive cars, although I've had rear wheel drive for over 20 years now. Our Fortuner of course is RWD, but on a rain sodden motorway I can move left and slow down, and switch to 4 wheel drive.

Neither. I'd be buying Japanese or Korean. Better quality, lower servicing costs. Lower initial cost.

The cachet of a Merc or Beemer is about the only point in their favor now, and it's a hefty price to pay for looking like a hi-so.

I'd rather have AWD, much safer in adverse conditions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2020 at 3:43 PM, Fairynuff said:

Not true, whilst they aren’t taxed the full 300% they are still considerably more expensive tho I don’t know the exact %age.

Breaking news.... Mercedes Benz costs more to buy than Toyota, and it's all the fault

of the Thai government.

Meanwhile back home in blighty you can buy a Benz for about the same as 2 bags of crisps!!

On 1/30/2020 at 6:51 PM, bkmbkk said:

My F10  (520d) still goes like new after close to 7 Years and 65 K Km. Only problem I have had was the tank filler lid did not close and that was when it was 6 month old.

Before that one I had a 320d which engine was water locked , but that is another story and not the cars fault as such.

Best get rid of it before it gets to 100k, mine was fine then..... Bang!!! 

On 1/31/2020 at 3:53 AM, Lacessit said:

Neither. I'd be buying Japanese or Korean. Better quality, lower servicing costs. Lower initial cost.

The cachet of a Merc or Beemer is about the only point in their favor now, and it's a hefty price to pay for looking like a hi-so.

So wrong.

Find me a good Jap car that has a turbo and 300hp but still look luxurious and not just sporty.

all cheap charlies talking about what they have no idea always make laugh.

I have never driven a Jap car more than just trying them and going back to German cars.

Sure people around the world, even in US, buy German cars because they are bad.

So funny... hahaha...

On 1/30/2020 at 8:53 PM, Lacessit said:

Totally agree, jap cars are leagues ahead of German, Lexus is top of the polls for good reason!!!! 

• Like 1

Owning a Mercedes is just waiting for when (not if) the "check engine" light mysteriously comes on, then paying an outrageous cost to replace a sensor you have never heard of.

I owned a couple of mercs back in Australia and never again. One of them purchased new for around $50k AU, the 2nd service while still under warranty was $3000 AU, 6% of the purchase price.

7 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

So wrong.

Find me a good Jap car that has a turbo and 300hp but still look luxurious and not just sporty.

all cheap charlies talking about what they have no idea always make laugh.

I have never driven a Jap car more than just trying them and going back to German cars.

Sure people around the world, even in US, buy German cars because they are bad.

So funny... hahaha...

Forget the Europeans or the Japs. Go Chinese owned Volvo. The new S60 has it all; luxurious, 407 hp, AWD and costs around 2 million. Nothing on the market comes close right now. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1847834/2020-volvo-s60-t8-thai-prices-and-specs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, madhav said:

Forget the Europeans or the Japs. Go Chinese owned Volvo. The new S60 has it all; luxurious, 407 hp, AWD and costs around 2 million. Nothing on the market comes close right now. 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/news/1847834/2020-volvo-s60-t8-thai-prices-and-specs

Well worth a look at I think. Was going to go to the presentation today but thought better of it.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:45 AM, AlexRich said:

BMW is sporty and in my view more exciting to drive, but I'd prefer the Mercedes as it is a front wheel drive and is more stable.

I think that it's only the CLA that is front wheel drive... all C class, E class, and S class Benz sedans sold in Thailand are rear wheel drive unless you special order the new 4L V8 63S AMG versions with AWD (although you can put them into RWD - drift mode).

The CLS, SLK, and CLK are rear wheel drive too.

Don't know about the new A class.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

I think that it's only the CLA that is front wheel drive... all C class, E class, and S class Benz sedans sold in Thailand are rear wheel drive unless you special order the new 4L V8 63S AMG versions with AWD (although you can put them into RWD - drift mode).

The CLS, SLK, and CLK are rear wheel drive too.

Don't know about the new A class.

2WD is front WD...There is a 4WD option I believe...

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

Well worth a look at I think. Was going to go to the presentation today but thought better of it.

I am holding out for the XC40 recharge. It theoretically should be priced the same as the T8 V60 and S60 at 2 million. Although you never really know. The T8 XC60 should also be the same priced the same as the V60 and S60 but for some reason they priced it at 3.3 million.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/1774074/volvo-unveils-xc40-recharge-as-its-first-bev

Edited by madhav

19 hours ago, Tigger01 said:

Best get rid of it before it gets to 100k, mine was fine then..... Bang!!! 

My friends 520d has covered 350 K Km without a breakdown or anything unusual , still goes strong. His car is in Turkey but I don't think that makes a difference.

Have many similar stories from people I talk to.

It sounds like you have been unlucky beoynd normal for these cars.

• Like 1