Paying bills help

phka

Strange thing, all banks now require to see my passport or Thai driver license when paying bills, that never happened before. Must be some new govt. regulation. Some banks are not even accepting bill payments at all, which makes sense, Banks in my home country stopped that in the 90's or so.

Edited by AlQaholic

On 1/24/2020 at 4:42 PM, CharlieH said:

You can get a Thai ID if you wish and meet the criteria.

PEA have an app, or you can visit the local office and pay in cash.

same applies to the internet, either online,internet banking or at an office.

You havnt stated where you are as perhaps we could get some local input for you.

If banking with Kasikorn Bank, then it's possible to pay the PEA and MEA bill using the K+ app. The MEA bill is possible to pay online on several thai banks websites. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

So most of the chronic whiners claim "they" don't love us and only want our money. Now that that is wearing thin,  it's "they" don't want our money because "they" hate us.

I ( and most expats) pay the usual assortment of bills each month. No problem. Hardly an achievement worth bragging about.

One time I went into a Krung Thai bank that wanted my passport first. I just said "no thanks." No hand wringing or uncontrollable sobbing or temper tantrums because of loss of face. Like everywhere else in the world, some people might not love me, a few people may love me and 99.9% don't really care either way. I don't think trivial annoyances amount to a conspiracy.

Seriously, if you feel defeated by the simple task of paying your bills, maybe independent living is not the best option for you. Marry someone who will look after you.

If not handing over the passport when it's asked for at the bank, then you won't be able to do anything. Pay bills online, it's 2020,not 1975. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Not at all. It's Thailand leapfrogging into the 21st century. The plan, I'm sure is for Thailand to ultimately go paperless. Receive your bills online or via your mobile devise and pay your bill by simply presenting your ID. Simple and convenient.

OK, so a few foreigners might 'suffer' some minor inconvenience, but as pointed out there are plenty of alternative methods of bill payment. This new development will not affect me in the slightest.

Get on with your lives and stop being such a bunch of whinging wimps.

and pay your bill by simply presenting your ID 

....and the topic of this thread is that only a Thai ID card is accepted...no passport, no driving license. Fine if you have a recently issued alien ID as they apparently have the required chip, but older cards, and the majority that don’t have the card are not so lucky.

As for paying it by mobile apps, the first thing needed for the PEA “smart” app is a Thai ID to register ! The Krungsri banking app doesn’t have PEA in the payment list for some strange reason so it’s not quite as straightforward for everybody as you might think.

On 1/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, vogie said:

Charlie, where is this PEA app, just typed in PEA in play store and it came up with the Premature Ejaculation App☹️, can I pay my True internet and phone on line too. In Pattaya.

Every operator has apps, like AIS,True and dtac. You need to connect a debit/credit card to, for example Google pay or Google Chrome in your phone. You can also top up your phone using your banks internet/mobile banking. It should also work for paying your True internet.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, vogie said:

Charlie, where is this PEA app, just typed in PEA in play store and it ercame up with the Premature Ejaculation App☹️, can I pay my True internet and phone on line too. In Pattaya.

PEA Smart Plus is the name of the app. You might not find it if your phones location isn't set to Thailand. You need a Thai ID number to be able to use the PEA app. 

Edited by Max69xl

Stop them in their tracks. Do your shopping and have it all put through the checkout. Present your PEA/Internet bill to also be paid. If they refuse to accept the bill for payment, just walk away. It will cause a big problem, as they have to close the till and take time to reset, and replace everything back into stock. Do it often enough and they may just see the error of their stupid ways. If challenged, you have removed nothing from the store and committed no crime. What can they do?

There is a lot of linking for Thai ID cards that seems part of the government centralisation and bringing things into the 21st. Century. Big Brother maybe ? Pink ID works for most things including postage.M y bills are mostly on bank  direct payment. Easy. True on the Id service and electricity with MEA on  their app. I pay my PEA bill from the bank account but just for the hell of it I looked at the reverse of a bill today from PEA in CM . See attached PEA smart app pic that will assist. If you do not have a smartphone  then  you are bu**ered with the app.i hope it works without an ID .. maybe your passport number will do it .... Good luck

IMG_20200127_104228.jpg

Edited by Dogbarker
Add check app may need ID

On 1/25/2020 at 8:30 AM, Crossy said:

There's a thread about it somewhere, you just need a 13 digit number that meets the requirement of a Thai ID. There are apps that will allow you to create a number, PEA do no actual checking.

You dont really need this 13digit nr if the girl or boy behind the counter just types in 13 times 0000000000000 then it will work as well . I am still paying my water and electric bills at family mart this way it's just the willingness of the staff if they want to do it or not . 

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Stop them in their tracks. Do your shopping and have it all put through the checkout. Present your PEA/Internet bill to also be paid. If they refuse to accept the bill for payment, just walk away. It will cause a big problem, as they have to close the till and take time to reset, and replace everything back into stock. Do it often enough and they may just see the error of their stupid ways. If challenged, you have removed nothing from the store and committed no crime. What can they do?

Yeh. That will work. Punish the cashier for doing his/ her job. They'll tell the boss that a customer is pi**ed off with the way things are done and the boss will come running to "fix" it to your liking. 

I guess that if you do it more than once they can and will refuse you entry to the shop though

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:32 PM, phka said:

Good idea

I pay my bills at 7 all the time. I did try a mini Tesco and yeah, they wanted ID. So I just went to 7 and did it without any request for ID.

But yeah I'm sure if you really desperate someone would help you nearby to simply pay for it. A small gift might help.

Recently in Pattaya, the 7/11s have begun to ask to scan ID....I,ve just said 'no have' and they've gone ahead and processed payment.....probably last 3 bills

For internet, i just leave it run out and you are redirected to payment page which i pay with online SCB credit card 

Edited by William Osborne

Ever since I bought my condo 6 years ago, the electricity company and True internet, automatically deduct the due amount from my Bangkok Bank account, on the due date. As I recall, I had to visit both offices just once in the beginning with my passport, savings bank passbook, and their most recent bill. Never had a problem since.

27 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You dont really need this 13digit nr if the girl or boy behind the counter just types in 13 times 0000000000000 then it will work as well . I am still paying my water and electric bills at family mart this way it's just the willingness of the staff if they want to do it or not . 

Not for the App (which is what we are talking about), 0-000-00000-00-0 is not a valid number, it would be 0-000-00000-00-1. The last digit is a Luhn check-digit.

Evidently the Seven software is performing even less checking than PEA.

By the way, all zeros + 1 also won't work for PEA.

1 hour ago, Dogbarker said:

If you do not have a smartphone  then  you are bu**ered with the app.i hope it works without an ID .. maybe your passport number will do it .... Good luck

The Android App works nicely on a PC using the BlueStacks Android emulator.

It does need a reasonably valid ID number (correct check digit and sensible data).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Or maybe it's just to make life easier for Thais living here?

Thank you for a great laugh, I was ROTF. Imagine a Thai government trying to make life easier for Thais, why would they even consider doing that? That goes against every instinct and innate response they have. it's so unimaginable, it's comedy gold. thank you again for the laugh. 

Fantastic.. I wonder if we can still buy a coca cola, food, car, motorbike.., repairs, gasoline, snickers.. What is the difference really and where do they draw the line? Anyone knows.. It cant stop at utility bills.. What about hospital bills then or Insurance bills?

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

Your post is stupid beyond belief. Its not the shops fault its the payment system thats the problem. They developed software and forgot to add a way for a foreigner to pay, simple as that. If I was behind you in a queue and you did that I would make you put everything back yourself. What a pompous attitude to take.

5 minutes ago, jimn said:

Your post is stupid beyond belief. Its not the shops fault its the payment system thats the problem. They developed software and forgot to add a way for a foreigner to pay, simple as that. If I was behind you in a queue and you did that I would make you put everything back yourself. What a pompous attitude to take.

Agreed.. , but I do not believe they "forgot" a way to pay..hehe.. There is a reason which is yet to understand....It might blow over like everything... It will create too much problems in the long run.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

assuming you live in Thailand and may have a bank account, all these payments can be made via on line banking, that's what I have been doing without any hassle

Ive heard this mentioned a few time but I'll be buggered if I can work out how to pay my electric and water bills with my K-Bank online banking.

2 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Ive heard this mentioned a few time but I'll be buggered if I can work out how to pay my electric and water bills with my K-Bank online banking.

Pay bill, scan to pay ......... but that's phone banking, online banking is so 'last year'.

Edited by BritManToo