China building 1,000-bed hospital over the weekend to treat coronavirus

snoop1130

12 hours ago, zydeco said:

Without doctors, nurses, and trained personnel, that is not a hospital, it's a camp.

I have just spoken with staff at my local hospital in Sichuan and all doctors are told they must take part in a lottery to decide who will go.  Every hospital in China the same.  They will have the staff.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The new hospital is being built around a holiday complex originally intended for local workers, set in gardens by a lake on the outskirts of the city, the official Changjiang Daily reported on Friday. Prefabricated buildings, which will have 1,000 beds, will be put up, it said.

A bit rich calling it a hospital, still would be a big achievement but it will be more like a containment ward surely...!!!

6 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I don't believe that BS anyway the concrete slap and footings will never dry in 4 days.

When I was a kid, more than a few decades ago, my father was working in construction. I recall a promotional event where a 3-bedroom bungalow was built in 24 hours. I don't recall if that included the poured foundations or not.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

Meanwhile, 35,000 people died last year in the USA from plain vanilla flu.  That's almost 100 a day.  Every year, year in, year out.  170 deaths a day in the 2017-2018 flu season in the USA alone.

China having 5x the population of the USA, I'd expect them to lose 500 people a day to plain vanilla flu.  Along with 2.5 million hospitalizations related to plain old flu.

Keep it in perspective.   SARS killed less than 1000 people, all told.  That's less than China loses in 2 days to the old fashioned flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Meanwhile, 40 million people have been quarantined.  That's 10 times the number of people in Los Angeles.  This has never happened before.

Keep it in perspective.  This is a total disaster.

1 hour ago, car720 said:

I have just spoken with staff at my local hospital in Sichuan and all doctors are told they must take part in a lottery to decide who will go.  Every hospital in China the same.  They will have the staff.

Surprised they're not all volunteering.  You know, for the good of the fellow comrades.  From each according to his abilities to each according to his needs.

5 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Meanwhile, 40 million people have been quarantined.  That's 10 times the number of people in Los Angeles.  This has never happened before.

Could it be that China has dramatically changed since 2003 SARS epidemic. There is no longer culture of hiding what is in front of people and no more inactivity. 

I think China wishes to show to the rest of the world that it is willing and can control the spread of the virus. 

This naturally doesn't mean that China can stop it altogether, but it can drastically limit the spread. 

We can also ask ourselves, if this virus would have started in other parts of the world, would the governments been able to take such actions in so short timespan?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Meanwhile, 35,000 people died last year in the USA from plain vanilla flu.  That's almost 100 a day.  Every year, year in, year out.  170 deaths a day in the 2017-2018 flu season in the USA alone.

China having 5x the population of the USA, I'd expect them to lose 500 people a day to plain vanilla flu.  Along with 2.5 million hospitalizations related to plain old flu.

Keep it in perspective.   SARS killed less than 1000 people, all told.  That's less than China loses in 2 days to the old fashioned flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

But there is a flu vaccine.

4 hours ago, Kelsall said:

Surprised they're not all volunteering.  You know, for the good of the fellow comrades.  From each according to his abilities to each according to his needs.

They know fear of death just as much as we do.

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Chinese city of Wuhan is rapidly building a new 1,000-bed hospital to treat victims of a new coronavirus, mobilising machinery to get it ready by early next week, state media said.

I don't think China is being totally honest, and Thailand is taking this very lightly.... direct flights from Wuhan should be suspended immediately with other Chinese flights checked on entry... if a suspect case is found to be on-board all foreign passengers should be held in quarantine to pass the incubation time.

Thai citizens the same then allowed to go home or continue their holiday.

It's the only way to stop an out-break in it's tracks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I don't think China is being totally honest, and Thailand is taking this very lightly.... direct flights from Wuhan should be suspended immediately with other Chinese flights checked on entry... if a suspect case is found to be on-board all foreign passengers should be held in quarantine to pass the incubation time.

Thai citizens the same then allowed to go home or continue their holiday.

It's the only way to stop an out-break in it's tracks.

Thailand is taking the same precaution as any other city. I have not read Hong Kong, Japan doing any more? People these days fly all over the place, meet people from all over the place, fly via places to get to other places so not sure how effective flight screening is, but better than nothing.

Wuhan flights are already cancelled for a couple of days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

But there is a flu vaccine.

You know when they said it's a novel cornavirus? That's means it isn't a flu and there is no vaccine.

4 hours ago, zydeco said:

When they call in the army, it's a camp.

It's funny you should say that. Everybody is talking about where the doctors and nurses will come from.

They flew them in from the Army, Navy and Air Force overnight. Thousands of them, and all the equipment they need.

No-one has been press ganged or taken part in a lottery.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

At least they are taking it seriously.

How did the nightmare start ? .. the origins of this doomsday virus ?....

The selling of wild animals for food in a wholesale wet market in Wuhan.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

You know when they said it's a novel cornavirus? That's means it isn't a flu and there is no vaccine.

Such a deadheaded response, because you didn't go back to read my original message. My response at that time was that this virus was different from traditional flu because regular flu does have a vaccine. You are being substantially disingenuous. 

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

For the moment I will stick to the WHO, and ignore the clickbait alarmists.

These are original sources and I have no reason to doubt the doctor's credentials. I hate clickbait as much as the next man and despise conspiraloons. I sincerely wish it weren't so but I fear the worst now. The Chinese have tried to shut down Wuhan the epicentre and are building 2 hospitals in a week for 2300 folk another 60 million are on lockdown. THEY KNOW. How folk react to this is up to them but no one looks after you and your families but yourself. Forewarned is forearmed. 

Edited by URMySunshine

6 minutes ago, Traubert said:

And the people selling crank research. Good move. likewise.

Is Dr Ding a crank ? Then I wish it were so. He seems to have a credible history at first glance. I would be delighted for anyone to disabuse me of my rising paranoia. Yesterday I was batting off unfiltered sources as hysteria within at Wuhan at an overreaction by the Chinese authorities. Now I'm not at all sure.

https://harvard.academia.edu/EricDing

Edited by URMySunshine

8 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Mate, 96% of people who will be infected will fully recover. It's killed 41 people so far, all with underlying medical issues and mostly in the elderly age bracket.

Here's an example of the <deleted> that people are punting about it. Headline "Doctor dies in Corona Virus Hospital.' So he was treating people right? And he caught it and died right? Oh my God if the medics are getting it....

No, he was a retired otolarygologist aged 62 called Liang Wudong. Bad luck Dr Liang, but he could have been a dustbinman, thence his profession would not be mentioned. Hysteria isn't helping or informing anyone.

I hope so , I do hope so. My nephew who is married to a Chinese woman and has a baby (currently in the UK) has just replied to my email with that link. My wife is telling me to calm down which is no bad thing. I should add though I have a degree in Microbiology from way back and worked in the pharma industry for 5 years so I have a good nose at rooting out nonsense. That smelt true but the mods were quite right to remove it. He may be a well educated Phd guy shilling his position and riding on and helping to cause hysteria.

Nephew's comment. 

The report in itself doesn’t make for good reading although it is based on a lot of things they don’t know. The biggest red flag though is a public health scientist with a PHD writing on Twitter “HOLY MOTHER OF GOD - the new coronavirus is a 3.8!!! How bad is that reproductive R0 value? It is thermonuclear pandemic level bad - I’m not exaggerating...” Surely he knows what that could cause? The virus itself will eventually be contained but the instability that it could leave behind will have lasting effects that could derail China for a long time.

Edited by URMySunshine

9 hours ago, Kelsall said:

But is the disease the disaster, or the panic?

• Like 2