Thailand confirms fifth case of new coronavirus

snoop1130

37 minutes ago, Traubert said:

This is the latest as of last night:

2007 confirmed cases, 1052 within Hubei.

56 fatalities, 52 within Hubei.

92 recovered, 85 within Hubei.

-----------------------------------

29 confirmed international cases

38 suspected international cases

0 fatalitites

3 international recoveries

It seems more are recovering than dying, and the containment exercise is effective so far.

EPLfP6nX0AEqJfV.jpg

• Like 2

A Chinese Nurse has posted a YouTube video saying the real number of infections across China is 90,000. Like the Thai authorities the Chinese Government lies and lies and lies. 

The Philippines Government, on the other hand, is rejecting Chinese tourists. 500 rejected so far. 

57 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's over 50% mortality among the diagnosed then. No idea how long it takes to recover from it, weeks? 

No.  That's less than 3% and that is considered overstated with the assumption that because symptoms can be very mild, then there are many people who have not reported sick.

If those were counted, then the mortality would come down quite sharply.

I'll repeat what I've stated on another forum:

I think people are pressing the panic button needlessly. Yes, of course it has to be contained simply because of the number of 'vulnerable' people it can affect. I've read that the pneumonia caused by this virus can't be treated like the 'normal' pneumonia which makes it even more dangerous to persons of ill health.
SARS vanished as a result of containment and I'm sure, if this latest virus is effectively contained, then it will eventually disappear in the same way.

Also:

Doctors in France, where they've confirmed 3 cases, are characterizing it as being less serious than either SARS or MERS - based not just on those cases but on information from colleagues worldwide.

Even if the 3% holds up.  That is still a 97% survival rate.

47 minutes ago, potless said:

I think you mean 5%

Those that have been resolved dead or alive in Hubei, according to the table: 94. Dead 52, so that's 55%. The rest are still to be determined. They will end up in one of those categories.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Those that have been resolved dead or alive in Hubei, according to the table: 94. Dead 52, so that's 55%. The rest are still to be determined. They will end up in one of those categories.

OMG.  SARS had a mortality rate of 14%.  This is, so far, proven to be much much less severe. Your 55% statement is just scaremongering.  Get with it.

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

OMG.  SARS had a mortality rate of 14%.  This is, so far, proven to be much much less severe. Your 55% statement is just scaremongering.  Get with it.

I just took the figures from the table that was posted. Dispute them if you'd like.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I just took the figures from the table that was posted. Dispute them if you'd like.

No.  You played the figures from the chart.  Are you an accountant by any chance.  In how figures are presented can always lead the audience to different scenarios.

22 minutes ago, HHTel said:

In how figures are presented can always lead the audience to different scenarios.

Sure. Like assuming mortality figures are lower because there's an assumption of large undiagnosed mass of people. Was it facts or assumptions you were after?

Outbreak!

In March 2019, a shipment of exceptionally virulent bio-agents, including a strain of coronavirus from Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory, made its way to China. The event caused a major scandal with experts questioning why Canada was shipping level-4 bio-agents to China. Scientists from the NML said the highly lethal viruses had the potential to be weaponized.

• Sad 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:12 PM, DrTuner said:

So she was out and about two days before checking in. It's likely there are hundreds like her walking about. Infrared scanners at airports are useless when the incubation time is two weeks. 

In generals most viral disease that result in a URI - Upper Respiratory Infection the virus can be shed during the prodromal / incubation period while showing few to no symptoms. For some virus diseases there is a large amount of shed viruses. I don't find any clear cut info on

Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) (official name of the Wuhan Coronavirus. 

From Quote: (could not find the original of the comment - so I used a copy)... 

"The source is still unknown (most likely an animal reservoir) and the extent of human-to-human transmission is still not clear."

In my opinion and from reading WHO reports. From confirmed cases in Japan and Thailand the people had not visited any of the markets that were selling wild animal meats. One woman reported being exposed to a person with some type of pneumonia.

Furthermore, the wild animal Coronavirus that jumped species could even have been a one off event.  Other animals could have been infected with the same coronavirus caught from a cage mate before slaughter. Still other animals may have had no coronavirus then slaughtered. And still others may have had a serious coronavirus but not one that had  become infectious to humans. It would have been a very mixed bag in those wild animal markets. Even snakes have been considered as the source implied by lab research

And besides a virus species jump does not happen "willinilly. After a species jump, the new host (a human) has other methods of spreading the virulent virus. 

A good school book example of" "species jump" is Mad Cow Disease going from sheep > cows > humans and even dogs.

By the way Bovine Encephalitis was caused by a prion protein filament not by any organism that contained DNA or RNA... One of the strangest transmissible diseases ever discovered. 

"The source is still unknown (most likely an animal reservoir)."

This is pure speculation and one that conveniently minimizes specific blame. Wuhan is also the location of the new BSL-4 lab that studies the most virulent strains of diseases. Also speculation, but it is very possible that this coronavirus leaked from there. The problem with labs of this kind, especially in China, is that if there was a leak, it would not be reliably reported. A story like "it's from wild meat" would be invented to protect the hierarchy and shift blame to some peasant who sold a snake at the market or who ate a mongoose kidney, or some other fantasy.

BSL-4 labs should operate in countries with a free press (do they still exist?) and an open society where scientists and lab technicians can sound the alarm without massive personal repercussions or having to defer catastrophic news to their hierarchy. Humanity is one dropped test tube from the next pandemic.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1