Thailand confirms fifth case of new coronavirus

snoop1130

17 hours ago, DrTuner said:

So she was out and about two days before checking in. It's likely there are hundreds like her walking about. Infrared scanners at airports are useless when the incubation time is two weeks. 

It is not quite useless. At least infected people can be found who obviously have syptoms of the disease. (acute phase)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

not a bad idea,... what about the ones already here

All international and domestic group tours have been canceled and new tickets are not being sold in China. Individual travel is still permitted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thasoss said:

Odd how all these viruses originate in china

They have zero hygiene. Have you ever used a public lavatory in China? I would advise taking out a heavy-duty insurance policy before doing so.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Given the incubation period and that Thailand is currently full of Chinese, it’s going to get a lot worse.

Despite China locking down 5 cities now, those infected would have already left before the lock down.

Let’s revisit this thread in two weeks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

It was not contained because govt tried tu o keep lid on this.  Mamy  people trying to warn on social media about a sars like virus were arrested Jan 1. 

Not dissimilair to what occurred during H1N1 outbreak several years ago.

Not even all "open societies" reported the real extent of that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Possibly - but this is not a form of influenza. Coronaviruses belong to a totally different family of viruses. The common cold is a coronavirus but flu is not.

A coronavirus is usually confined to animals but occasionally makes the jump to humans.  SARS and MERS is a coronavirus.

The Common Cold is not a coronavirus only one of the symptoms associated with one.

Edited by HHTel
correction

2 hours ago, galenjones said:

Airport fingerprint scanners can be very dangerous when it comes to disease transmission in general. I recommend every traveler to wash their hands intensively afterwards.

Well spotted.  The virus can be transmitted from a surface that has been touched by an infected person.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thasoss said:

Odd how all these viruses originate in china

Not really.  SARS was caused by eating meat from wild animal markets.  After SARS there was a massive drop in this illegal trade.  However, the business has picked up again and this virus has been identified as coming either from snakes or bats.

Where else in the world do you find such eating habits but China?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Elkski said:

This  wuhan virus looks real bad.  I admit I've wasted my day reading all I can about the wuhan virus.  I'm afraid it is worse than being reported.  Some doctors on the ground estimate 90,000 cases in wuhan.  It is asymptomatic  meaning can be transmitted  without showing symptoms.   Incubation  2-7 days but some people not really getting severe case.

Actually, reporting so far indicates that this is nowhere near the severity of SARS.  The symptoms are much milder and most recover of their own accord.  The death rate is currently reported at less than 3% and expected to settle around 2%.  The fatality rate for SARS was, according to sources, around 14%. 

Deaths are caused by related diseases such as pneumonia which is often fatal in elderly people.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bundooman said:

On top of all the confusion, I just read in the news that two women have been identified in France with the virus.

One of them, returning from Wusan appears to have deliberately taken a drug to suppress her symptoms and avoid detection at the airport.

How would you know what drug to take?

How many others have done the same thing?

Where are they?

Coronavirus presents with common cold and flu symptoms, cough, sneezing, running nose, aches, fever. So a simple multi-symptom medicine with cough/sneeze suppressent/fever reducer would do the trick. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Well spotted.  The virus can be transmitted from a surface that has been touched by an infected person.

Strange thing I remarked this morning early in Tesco Lotus , at the meat and chicken stand where you have to pick your own quantity … no grips or big metal spoons …. when I asked  they pointed to a new thing … those simple cheap plastic throw away after use  gloves ! This in a time to ban plastic !…, but of course those metal spoons and grips can be the intermediate for a contagion as more people go use them ….. seems measures are dictated from high up ...

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

This  wuhan virus looks real bad.  I admit I've wasted my day reading all I can about the wuhan virus.  I'm afraid it is worse than being reported.  Some doctors on the ground estimate 90,000 cases in wuhan.  It is asymptomatic  meaning can be transmitted  without showing symptoms.   Incubation  2-7 days but some people not really getting severe case.   It was not contained because govt tried to keep lid on this.  Many  people trying to warn on social media about a sars like virus were arrested Jan 1.  Google this. A

Harvard epidemiologist   early thoughts. 

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1220919589623803905.html

UK researcher predicts 250,000 cases in 10 days. https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/uk-researcher-predicts-over-250000-people-china-will-have-coronavirus-ten-days

If you have twitter this Chinese American  reporter has some believable shocking posts. @jenniferatntd

Have a dip into British tabloid media mate. They paint a decent doomsday picture and most of them don't have a paywall. Free sensationalism at your fingertips.

By the way, 36,000 Americans died of flu related causes last year. In America.

Sleep tight.

Edited by Traubert
Abbreviation of quoted post
  • Thanks 1