Help with online system - no option to choose Tourist Visa

Hi all.

Really struggling with the online system to get a visa sorted for a upcoming trip to Thailand!

I'm a final year medical student heading on a medical elective in March, and i'm in the process of getting my VISA sorted.

I was simply wanting to choose a tourist 60 day visa as I will be doing a combination of placements in Thai hospitals and some sight seeing, so this made sense. However, the online portal won't give me the option to choose a tourist visa. It will only allow me to apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa (ED), as the only option under "purpose of visit" is Internship. However, my girlfriend is filling hers out with me and she isn't having this issue.

I am guessing the issue is due to me being from Northern Ireland, so i'm a UK citizen with an Irish passport. I'm guessing this is confusing the system and it's not giving me all the options. Does any one have any suggestions? Or should I just go through as a Non-Immigrant Visa (ED) and pay the extra costs? I've tried contacting the embassy using the online form but haven't had any response.

On top of this, I would really love to avoid a trip (or 2?) to the embassy in London to get this sorted as i'm in the midst of my final exams and can't take that much time off!

So im really in a bind - would appreciate any help and advice!

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, ConnaireO said:

I was simply wanting to choose a tourist 60 day visa as I will be doing a combination of placements in Thai hospitals and some sight seeing, so this made sense.

If you're doing placements in Thai hospitals then surely a tourist visa is not what you need or applicable?

8 minutes ago, Salerno said:

If you're doing placements in Thai hospitals then surely a tourist visa is not what you need or applicable?

This is where i'm not sure either.

I've spoken with the university regarding the visa, and all they have told me is that previous students have travelled on a variety of visas and not had an issue.

I will try and contact the Hospitals I will be on placement at and ask if they require a particular visa, but they can be quite slow to respond

Edit. Just tried to online portal again and this time it is offering me a tourist visa. This system is very confusing!

Edited by ConnaireO
more info

Just fly out with no visa, get the visa-exempt entry which allows 30 days, and extend it for another 30 days at a local immigration office for 1900 baht.

However, if you are going to be doing internships in Thai hospitals (I presume from that that you can speak fluent Thai), then you will (in theory) need a different visa entirely.

If it's something that your medical school does regularly, then there should be someone you can speak to about this at your university.

If you do decide to enter on a visa-exempt or tourist visa, do not mention your internships, you will be refused entry and sent home at your expense.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ConnaireO said:

I've spoken with the university regarding the visa, and all they have told me is that previous students have travelled on a variety of visas and not had an issue.

I will try and contact the Hospitals I will be on placement at and ask if they require a particular visa, but they can be quite slow to respond

A university in Thailand or abroad?

If a Thai university you could probably get an non-immigrant ED visa through them and then whatever you do at the hospital would be classed as internship as part of your studies.

If there is no Thai university involved the only way to do it legally would be to get a work permit from the hospital and a non-immigrant B visa, but probably they won't provide this for you because they just don't care that you could be arrested and deported if caught working on a tourist visa.

But a tourist visa would be the wrong visa in any case.

1 minute ago, ConnaireO said:

Certainly no expert but I would have thought that heading to Thailand for placements in Thai hospitals would require at least an ED visa. If getting paid anything, a work permit would also be required.

Resident guru @ubonjoe may have more accurate info for you when he pops on (@ mentioned to bring his attention for you).

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

Certainly no expert but I would have thought that heading to Thailand for placements in Thai hospitals would require at least an ED visa. If getting paid anything, a work permit would also be required.

Resident guru @ubonjoe may have more accurate info for you when he pops on (@ mentioned to bring his attention for you).

If getting paid nothing it would also require a work permit. 

BTW find this thread strange. "Internship" doing what exactly. Perhaps as some sort of observer? Don't get it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you want a tourist visa, I think your easy solution is to make an appointment with the Leeds consulate, and travel there to receive a Thai tourist visa while you wait.

When did they open a honorary consulate there?

I don't see it on the list here. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize/81958-Royal-Thai-Consulates-in-the-UK-and-Ireland.html

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

If you want a tourist visa, I think your easy solution is to make an appointment with the Leeds consulate, and travel there to receive a Thai tourist visa while you wait.

do you mean Hull. east yorkshire

• Thanks 1

i know someone that lectured and put together a course to prepare thai docs for the usa medical exam required to enter residency there. there was no formal visa acquired. imo immigration nor police have any interest in going after medical students or doctors hosted by highly respected universities.

19 hours ago, ConnaireO said:

This is where i'm not sure either.

Edit. Just tried to online portal again and this time it is offering me a tourist visa. This system is very confusing!

may i ask what rotation / elective do you plan to do?

Have to say tried to apply for a visa using the new online Royal Thai Embassy London application and it turned out to be a nightmare.They don't reply to your emails as stated and if you go there you will see no  queue because everyone is quickly turned away.

They tell you to go to an internet cafe but its so unsafe disclosing all your confidential papers to an unknown computer

You really need a lot of time to study the requirements and its so complicated to do.You have to have all the correct documents and be able to scan   them to the application using the correct format and size .

In the end after spending hours on the phone had to go to Liverpool at their suggestion .They have a lovely web site but .....just have a look at some of the reviews

Phone Liverpool they will be able to help

I have both passports and usually drive and drop off and pick up the next day . Now with all done online it would be a good idea to shoot the dublin consulate an email for further advise . 

To be honest with you, your better off using your british passport as you are situated in England.  

This may help if you dont have a british passport 

https://www.thaiconsulateireland.com/application-guidelines/

Edited by Macthehat
Updated info