Combination method for retirement extension no apparent minimum deposit

I had read some reports on here that you are required to have a minimum of 400,000b to you use the combination method. As that would have seen me in a bit of trouble I went down to Jomtien immigration today to confirm.

The young guy that speaks good English was only concerned that the total amount came to 800000 or more, in my case 340,000b Bank Deposit and 12 monthly payments of 40,000b Total 820,000b.

Not sure how much is being discussed here but I did find information suggesting that you required 400,000 so I thought I would just share my experience.

• Thanks 1

Will they want to see the source of income? does it need to be pension income? according to the rules it doesn't specifically need to be pension income but Jomtien may ask.

When i posted a thread about this not one person had actual experience of the combination method at Jomtien.

As you've found someone helpful at Jomtien it may be worth going back to ask follow up questions

Unless a senior officer at your local IO has made it crystal clear how their office interprets and applies the combination method, it's a somewhat risky path to tread and you might be confronted with some surprises or changes at your next extension application.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Anyone know what BKK CW's take these days is, on the issue of retirement extensions attempting to use the combo method?

I have not seen any reports of them not accepting the combination option.

The ones that said no were only saying it for those using transfers to prove their income. I think it might of been due to people not being able to show a year of transfers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It appears Jomtien are simply requiring a total of income and deposit of 800,000 p.a. We have had discussion on the forum of some offices no longer even accepting combination, although Jomtien was.

The confusion wrt the minimum amount on deposit stems from the relatively new rule whereby an 800,000 deposit must not fall below 400,000 during the extension year, and some felt this carried over to combination. Another line of thought carried the percentage requirement over, ie for you, you might be required to maintain 340,000 for 3 months, and 170,000 for the rest of the year. I may have also seen posts suggesting the combination method does not require you to maintain any balance (other than pre-seasoning). A risky way to go if unsure. I am confused by the situation.

Your post is useful. If you get more information wrt how much you may need to retain during the year, if anything, let us know please. 

To the OP, thanks for the report.  It appear the confusion and differing interpretations relates to the Immigration Rule covering the combo method refers back to the section re 800k in the bank - but is not clear what if any of the provisions re 800k apply to the combo method.

I have seen a couple first-hand reports on using the combo method at Jomtien (Pattaya) Immigration. In both cases, they had more than 400,000 in their bank account - but they did not report that IO told them if there was a minimum or if they had to follow the 3 month after for maintaining the balance and then half that amount after the 3 months. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am confused by the situation.

Your post is useful. If you get more information wrt how much you may need to retain during the year, if anything, let us know please. 

Yes once I have been for my extension, which will happen late February I will update this thread with more pertinent details.

Quote @scubascuba3 "Will they want to see the source of income? does it need to be pension income? according to the rules it doesn't specifically need to be pension income but Jomtien may ask".

I too am also interested to see if they require proof of income from my home country. Because if they do that could provide quite a lot of information as my income is made up from share dividends and Rental income no pension involved.

Probably also worth mentioning is I fall foul of the problem with Transferwise not recording an FFT (foreign transfer) with Bangkok Bank for about three months.

So I'm hoping I can offer some clarity after I have made my application.

Edited by 1

18 hours ago, 1 said:

Not sure how much is being discussed here but I did find information suggesting that you required 400,000 so I thought I would just share my experience.

Any mention of for long and how much of 400 k or 340 k had to remain in the bank during the balance of the year when you use the combination method?  I can't recall if something specific/definite has ever been posted about that.

43 minutes ago, 1 said:

Yes once I have been for my extension, which will happen late February I will update this thread with more pertinent details.

Quote @scubascuba3 "Will they want to see the source of income? does it need to be pension income? according to the rules it doesn't specifically need to be pension income but Jomtien may ask".

I too am also interested to see if they require proof of income from my home country. Because if they do that could provide quite a lot of information as my income is made up from share dividends and Rental income no pension involved.

Probably also worth mentioning is I fall foul of the problem with Transferwise not recording an FFT (foreign transfer) with Bangkok Bank for about three months.

So I'm hoping I can offer some clarity after I have made my application.

Good luck with that but you have given them 2 reasons to reject you, no pension income and 3 non FTT transfers. Maybe you'll catch them on a good day, but they often try to reject people and push them to an agent. Worse case scenario is they reject the application and you go use an agent 12500 baht, not the end of the world, it's worth a try

7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Unless a senior officer at your local IO has made it crystal clear how their office interprets and applies the combination method, it's a somewhat risky path to tread and you might be confronted with some surprises or changes at your next extension application.

The combination method is accepted at Jomtien Immigration,especially when having an income letter from an embassy/consulate. There were some confusion when the UK,US and Australian embassies stopped issuing income letters,and I haven't heard if it's ok when using a bank letter + bank statement. Maybe other posters have more recent information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good luck with that but you have given them 2 reasons to reject you, no pension income and 3 non FTT transfers. Maybe you'll catch them on a good day, but they often try to reject people and push them to an agent. Worse case scenario is they reject the application and you go use an agent 12500 baht, not the end of the world, it's worth a try

I don't share your particular view on the subject and from what I've read thus far it is far from conclusive what they will and will not accept. But as I've already mentioned I intend to find out and report back.

I personally believe that many people feel that the immigration department Intentionally obstreperous. But I think that is just a creature of bureaucracy anywhere in the world but is amplified as a consequence of the language barrier.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1 said:

I don't share your particular view on the subject and from what I've read thus far it is far from conclusive what they will and will not accept. But as I've already mentioned I intend to find out and report back.

I personally believe that many people feel that the immigration department Intentionally obstreperous. But I think that is just a creature of bureaucracy anywhere in the world but is amplified as a consequence of the language barrier.

Yes, I agree you seem to have some good thinking.

Also, a quoted agent price of 12,500 b is totally incorrect from my research.

Most agencies now are at 20,000 +. This is updated pricing within the past month.

But, for all the "I get the best deals" out there, the agents I am sure want the business so you should have no problem sharing those wonder inexpensive agent names/locations.

7 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Most agencies now are at 20,000 +. This is updated pricing within the past month.

But, for all the "I get the best deals" out there, the agents I am sure want the business so you should have no problem sharing those wonder inexpensive agent names/locations.

I don't think I will have a need for an agent. But if that is the case I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Really I'm just trying to get some solid information out there about the combination method and potential surrounding issues.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Many offices have stated that there is no minimum amount when using the combination option. But it has stay in the bank for 3 months after the application and then half of it must be kept in the bank until it topped up 2 months before the next application.

Some people have just assumed it would be 400k baht.

If I understand you correctly, if I sold my condo for 2 million baht and deposited the amount in my bank account, I could not use that deposit for the  THB 800,000 financial requirement.

I would have to transfer THB 800,000 of the money out of the country and transfer it back in and leave it in my account for a minimum of three months in order to use this deposited money to satisfy the THB 800,000 requirement.

Is that correct?

1 hour ago, 1 said:

You don't have experience of the corruption there, that's all

10 minutes ago, TBKK said:

If I understand you correctly, if I sold my condo for 2 million baht and deposited the amount in my bank account, I could not use that deposit for the  THB 800,000 financial requirement.

I would have to transfer THB 800,000 of the money out of the country and transfer it back in and leave it in my account for a minimum of three months in order to use this deposited money to satisfy the THB 800,000 requirement.

Is that correct?

Not sure how you concluded that from what he said in that quote.

At various times I've used the 800 k in the bank method and then went with the embassy letter income method (when it was still available to me) and last year I sold my condo and used that money to cover the 800 k method for my most recent renewal. Never been asked where the money came from.

48 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

your prices are always off, the going rate in Pattaya is 12,500-13,500 for the extension + entries. Some people pay more for nothing but some agents will try for what they can get

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

You don't have experience of the corruption there, that's all

I can assure you I've had my experience with corruption in Thailand and this is where the corruption has been to my benefit. But I do not share your perspective. One of the problems when you come from these negative position is you tend to tar everything with the same brush without giving it a fair hearing.

To give you an example I went to apply for a residency certificate the other day and I am asked for a lot of information that I do not see is relevant for me showing myself as a resident of Thailand. But that is a creature of bureaucracy that Thailand does not have a monopoly on.

4 minutes ago, 1 said:

I can assure you I've had my experience with corruption in Thailand and this is where the corruption has been to my benefit. But I do not share your perspective. One of the problems when you come from these negative position is you tend to tar everything with the same brush without giving it a fair hearing.

To give you an example I went to apply for a residency certificate the other day and I am asked for a lot of information that I do not see is relevant for me showing myself as a resident of Thailand. But that is a creature of bureaucracy that Thailand does not have a monopoly on.

A little naive i think but good luck. The residency certificate is easy, no problem with getting that

On 1/25/2020 at 11:14 AM, KhunBENQ said:

A friend in Jomtien uses 200k (a bit more) since many years with no complaint.

200k staying since years.

Whether there have been very recent changes? Don't know.

Plus of course 50,000 Bht per month Foreign transfer?

26 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Plus of course 50,000 Bht per month Foreign transfer?

No. Luckily he gets his income/pension statement at the local consulate (not US, UK, Australia, ...). Just proving 12*income + deposit > 800k.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 1/25/2020 at 7:17 AM, ubonjoe said:

Many offices have stated that there is no minimum amount when using the combination option. But it has stay in the bank for 3 months after the application and then half of it must be kept in the bank until it topped up 2 months before the next application.

Some people have just assumed it would be 400k baht.

When using the Combination Option, does the monthly transfers plus the money in the bank not have to add up to 800k?

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No. Luckily he gets his income/pension statement at the local consulate (not US, UK, Australia, ...). Just proving 12*income + deposit > 800k.

So if his Embassy shows, on his say so, that he is getting say 50k per month income, be it pension, investment income, rental income, sister's immoral earnings! , he only needs 200k in the bank two months before and three months after, and the other 7 months just 100k. Is that right please?