Jump to content
BANGKOK
1

Combination method for retirement extension no apparent minimum deposit

Recommended Posts

I had read some reports on here that you are required to have a minimum of 400,000b to you use the combination method. As that would have seen me in a bit of trouble I went down to Jomtien immigration today to confirm.

 

The young guy that speaks good English was only concerned that the total amount came to 800000 or more, in my case 340,000b Bank Deposit and 12 monthly payments of 40,000b Total 820,000b.

 

Not sure how much is being discussed here but I did find information suggesting that you required 400,000 so I thought I would just share my experience.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem to be talking about a retirement extension, but for the sake of clarity please confirm if this is the case.

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will they want to see the source of income? does it need to be pension income? according to the rules it doesn't specifically need to be pension income but Jomtien may ask.

 

When i posted a thread about this not one person had actual experience of the combination method at Jomtien.

 

As you've found someone helpful at Jomtien it may be worth going back to ask follow up questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless a senior officer at your local IO has made it crystal clear how their office interprets and applies the combination method, it's a somewhat risky path to tread and you might be confronted with some surprises or changes at your next extension application.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend in Jomtien uses 200k (a bit more) since many years with no complaint.

200k staying since years.

Whether there have been very recent changes? Don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know what BKK CW's take these days is, on the issue of retirement extensions attempting to use the combo method?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Anyone know what BKK CW's take these days is, on the issue of retirement extensions attempting to use the combo method?

 

I have not seen any reports of them not accepting the combination option.

The ones that said no were only saying it for those using transfers to prove their income. I think it might of been due to people not being able to show a year of transfers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It appears Jomtien are simply requiring a total of income and deposit of 800,000 p.a. We have had discussion on the forum of some offices no longer even accepting combination, although Jomtien was.

The confusion wrt the minimum amount on deposit stems from the relatively new rule whereby an 800,000 deposit must not fall below 400,000 during the extension year, and some felt this carried over to combination. Another line of thought carried the percentage requirement over, ie for you, you might be required to maintain 340,000 for 3 months, and 170,000 for the rest of the year. I may have also seen posts suggesting the combination method does not require you to maintain any balance (other than pre-seasoning). A risky way to go if unsure. I am confused by the situation.

 

Your post is useful. If you get more information wrt how much you may need to retain during the year, if anything, let us know please. 

To the OP, thanks for the report.  It appear the confusion and differing interpretations relates to the Immigration Rule covering the combo method refers back to the section re 800k in the bank - but is not clear what if any of the provisions re 800k apply to the combo method.

 

I have seen a couple first-hand reports on using the combo method at Jomtien (Pattaya) Immigration. In both cases, they had more than 400,000 in their bank account - but they did not report that IO told them if there was a minimum or if they had to follow the 3 month after for maintaining the balance and then half that amount after the 3 months. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am confused by the situation.

 

Your post is useful. If you get more information wrt how much you may need to retain during the year, if anything, let us know please. 

Yes once I have been for my extension, which will happen late February I will update this thread with more pertinent details.

 

Quote @scubascuba3 "Will they want to see the source of income? does it need to be pension income? according to the rules it doesn't specifically need to be pension income but Jomtien may ask".

 

I too am also interested to see if they require proof of income from my home country. Because if they do that could provide quite a lot of information as my income is made up from share dividends and Rental income no pension involved.

 

Probably also worth mentioning is I fall foul of the problem with Transferwise not recording an FFT (foreign transfer) with Bangkok Bank for about three months.

So I'm hoping I can offer some clarity after I have made my application.

Edited by 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, 1 said:

Not sure how much is being discussed here but I did find information suggesting that you required 400,000 so I thought I would just share my experience.

Any mention of for long and how much of 400 k or 340 k had to remain in the bank during the balance of the year when you use the combination method?  I can't recall if something specific/definite has ever been posted about that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Maestro said:

You seem to be talking about a retirement extension, but for the sake of clarity please confirm if this is the case.

Lol, your observation skills need some work I think

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 1 said:

Yes once I have been for my extension, which will happen late February I will update this thread with more pertinent details.

 

Quote @scubascuba3 "Will they want to see the source of income? does it need to be pension income? according to the rules it doesn't specifically need to be pension income but Jomtien may ask".

 

I too am also interested to see if they require proof of income from my home country. Because if they do that could provide quite a lot of information as my income is made up from share dividends and Rental income no pension involved.

 

Probably also worth mentioning is I fall foul of the problem with Transferwise not recording an FFT (foreign transfer) with Bangkok Bank for about three months.

So I'm hoping I can offer some clarity after I have made my application.

Good luck with that but you have given them 2 reasons to reject you, no pension income and 3 non FTT transfers. Maybe you'll catch them on a good day, but they often try to reject people and push them to an agent. Worse case scenario is they reject the application and you go use an agent 12500 baht, not the end of the world, it's worth a try

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...