can't use my BBK ATM card

My Bangkok Bank visa ATM card should be valid until 2023 but my bank has told me that I can't use the card to pick up money and must apply for a new one, can take several days. Any thoughts, any advice would be welcome. I have a new British Passport but don't have my old one (it wasn't returned to me) don't know if this will be a problem.

25 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

My Bangkok Bank visa ATM card should be valid until 2023 but my bank has told me that I can't use the card to pick up money and must apply for a new one, can take several days. Any thoughts, any advice would be welcome. I have a new British Passport but don't have my old one (it wasn't returned to me) don't know if this will be a problem.

Got a new BKB debit Mastercard yesterday (400bht), about 15 mins work in the bank, mainly me signing photocopies of everything, worked in the ATM, tried an online purchase (room with Agoda), payment failed.

Don't know why, paid with my TMB VISA debit card.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

What I got told a week ago was :

If you have the card with a chip then it is okay until your expiry date and can still use 4 digit code.

If you have the old magnetic strip type card and a 4 digit code you need to change pin to 6 digits as after the 16th it will not work.

Mine is a chipped 4 digit code card good for another year and a half. BB tells me I am okay until expiry but then have to choose between MasterCard and Union Pay.

I haven’t checked my card is working since the 16th though.

• Like 1

changed my  old visa card (pretty sure it was chipped) and expiry date was 2023 for mastercard a few weeks ago 

from i what i understood after 15 only the  new cards work regardless of the expiry date

there was lots of info about this change  on atms and bank website

Ps

not my account holding branch

free

took about 10mins and they filled all details and took copy of my passport

then eres  your new master card pal sort of thing

Edited by poohy

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

not so much help as advice (there is a choice of two cards I believe, I didn't ask the wife dealt with the staff)

You have to get a chip card which will have a 6 digit pin and only takes 30-50 min at your branch.

Be sure to ask for the mastercard one and not the Union pay as union pay is useless. 

see how you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Got a new BKB debit Mastercard yesterday (400bht), about 15 mins work in the bank, mainly me signing photocopies of everything, worked in the ATM, tried an online purchase (room with Agoda), payment failed.

Because the new BKB debit Mastercard uses TPN. Online payments with TPN debit are hit and miss. If the merchant uses a foreign transaction processor then you won't be able to use it.

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Interesting that the O/P reports that his old passport was not returned to him.

I wonder how he managed to get his visa and extension details transferred to his new one.

A pertinent question which made me question my memory, so I hunted around in my old documents and see there, my old passport ! so thanks for the quirie.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

A pertinent question which made me question my memory, so I hunted around in my old documents and see there, my old passport ! so thanks for the quirie.

The query popped into my own head because I was in Krungsri a few weeks back replacing my old mag strip ATM card and the sharp eyed assistant noted that my passport number didn't match that on the account details!

Happy to have helped out. I hope your card issues are now resolved. ????

Edited by Moonlover