Tourist visa I won't use

I got an SETV from London in November and due to a few things that have come up, I'm not going to get to Thailand before it expires.

If I apply for a new SETV while this unstamped one is in my passport, will the embassy be ok with that?  Will they just stamp my old one as VOID?

Or my other plan as I don't really want to go through the pain of an online visa application again, as i still wake up with night sweats, would be to travel in on the 30 day exempt.  Will immigration be ok with this?  Again I guess they will just VOID my visa as expired and give me 30 days?

Edited by randymarsh

Getting a new visa is way more of a chore than getting a visa-exempt entry. Since you won't be entering the number of the expired visa on your landing card, it most likely will be ignored. However, there's always the chance of getting an IO that will think you are trying to use an expired visa or wonder why you didn't use the visa before it expired. None of their business really but polite, truthful answers should work.

50 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Getting a new visa is way more of a chore than getting a visa-exempt entry. Since you won't be entering the number of the expired visa on your landing card, it most likely will be ignored. However, there's always the chance of getting an IO that will think you are trying to use an expired visa or wonder why you didn't use the visa before it expired. None of their business really but polite, truthful answers should work.

If you put the visa number on the T.M.6 then yes it will look like you are trying to use an expired visa.

I sometimes use VE even though I have a visa, as the visa is for a different purpose. So I don't put the visa number on the T.M. 6 and inform that I do not want to use the visa.

Edited by Eindhoven

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The expired visa is a non issue. Whether you will receive a visa exemption will just depend on your history of stays in Thailand, especially over the last year or so.

Which is why I got the tourist visa in the first place, all the fearmongering on here.  But I should be good as by the time I finally get round to going, I won't have been in for around 18 months.

1 hour ago, randymarsh said:

Which is why I got the tourist visa in the first place, all the fearmongering on here.  But I should be good as by the time I finally get round to going, I won't have been in for around 18 months.

Definitely no problem.

• Like 1