Barbecue grill — where and what to buy?

welovesundaysatspace

I wanna buy a barbecue grill for my terrace so I can invite people over for steaks and burgers. I honestly don’t have a clue what’s good; I hear people buy Weber grills but that they’re expensive. I don’t wanna break the bank since it’s something I’ll only do occasionally, but I’d still like to have something that’s decent. 

Any recommendations? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

150bht from the 'cheap' shops everywhere.

tao-oven-grill-hot.jpg

yeah, these clay pot grills are a popular item locally, sorta like a local version of a hibachi...trouble is ye can only fit a couple of items on the cooking area at a time...and no variable cooking height adjustment...not a problem I suppose if all you cook is some pork belly and pig offal...

You can get the recycled oil-drum type BBQs all over Thailand for under 1000 baht and they are huge and excellent for using wood/charcoal. I often cook chicken wings, burgers and pizzas in mine, just put the lid down to get an extra-smoky flavour. Very good value and effective. No need to spend more. 

bbq.jpg

I love the clay bucket, and you could compliment that with a hibachi, and get the wood glowing in the bucket and scoop it into the hibachi.  There are also some small tabletop electric grills pretty cheap, that might be better for terrace.  I priced Thai beef tenderloin at foodland last week...1100 per Kg...it kind of looked like <deleted>, too, but likely ok.  Meat counter at Foodland looks more like some Soviet run ration ticket counter, than a great selection of quality meats from different countries famous for good beef, like it used to be.