"tsk" sound?

NotReallyHere

Sometimes when I pass a Thai man on the street (usually guys offering taxi/motorbike services) they make a "tsk" sound with their mouth.  It usually happens after I've passed them and politely declined their services.  The sound is like a quick burst of air between their upper front teeth, almost like spitting, but they don't spit.  I am definitely not getting spit upon.

Recently, a women made that sound after I passed her in the mall.  She was approaching me on a path between two groups of people.  I thought the path was wide enough for both of us, but she stopped abruptly and gave me a dirty look as I went on through.  She then made the "tsk" sound after I had passed.

Is the "tsk" spitting sound a sign of disapproval?  Symbolically spitting on someone?  Has anyone else heard of this or experienced this?  Is it all in my head?

Thanks 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
10 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

Is it all in my head?

The question I ask myself .... why would you care what the local riff-raff do?

Never acknowledge or make eye contact with beggars and street hawkers, they don't exist.

I don't consider the taxi drivers to be "riff-raff".  They're just trying to make a living in a tourist town.  No different than bar girls or massage "therapists".  Definitely not beggars.  And the woman in the mall was an attractive, fashionably dress 20-something. 

I'm not thin skinned.  Just trying to understand the culture better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

I don't consider the taxi drivers to be "riff-raff".  They're just trying to make a living in a tourist town.  No different than bar girls or massage "therapists".  Definitely not beggars.  And the woman in the mall was an attractive, fashionably dress 20-something. 

I'm not thin skinned.  Just trying to understand the culture better.

If you think taxi (and tuk tuk) drivers are anything more than low level criminals, you ain't understanding the culture at all. Ignore everyone whom you have no direct interest in hiring.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

OP:

If the sound you are describing is basically a tooth sucking sound, I would say that in most cases this is just a verbal tic. While it is possible that it is done intentionally to convey disappointment or disapproval, in most cases it just signals that they are neutrally disengaging from the interaction.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

OP:

If the sound you are describing is basically a tooth sucking sound, I would say that in most cases this is just a verbal tic. While it is possible that it is intentionally done to convey disappointment or disapproval, in most cases it just means that they are signaling that they have neutrally disengaged from the interaction.

Success!  I finally get a straight answer!  Thanks, Gecko123!

Now that you mention it, the sound could be blowing out or sucking in air.  I appreciate your input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:
11 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

OP:

If the sound you are describing is basically a tooth sucking sound, I would say that in most cases this is just a verbal tic. While it is possible that it is intentionally done to convey disappointment or disapproval, in most cases it just means that they are signaling that they have neutrally disengaged from the interaction.

Success!  I finally get a straight answer!  Thanks, Gecko123!

Now that you mention it, the sound could be blowing out or sucking in air.  I appreciate your input.

from the above, I verbally can 'visualise' the clickpop noise; simulating a Gecko (using tongue against roof of mouth.

Trouble is that once one starts making that noise - it becomes a hard habit to break...

• Thanks 2

@NotReallyHere In rereading your OP, the second example you gave where a woman was annoyed at you for having failed to yield the way in an aisle sounds a bit more serious, and may not have been a tooth sucking sound but rather a hiss of disapproval. That's pretty much never heard unless someone is extremely annoyed or angered. Sounds like you may have had a one-off encounter with someone having a bad day.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tifino said:

from the above, I verbally can 'visualise' the clickpop noise; simulating a Gecko (using tongue against roof of mouth.

Trouble is that once one starts making that noise - it becomes a hard habit to break...

Don't we use similar sounds when we're upset. Something like tss....

12 hours ago, katana said:

Might be TUI ถุย - an exclamation showing displeasure (comes from the Thai word to spit).

Possible, I guess.  Interesting that a word expressing displeasure comes from the word to spit.  It would confirm my suspicion that what they were doing was somehow symbolic for spitting.

On the other hand, I don't really hear any "vocalizations"(?).  Not sure if that's the right word for what is happening phonetically.  By that I mean, I don't hear any sound coming from their throat or deeper in the mouth.  It's just a short burst of air (either pushed out or sucked in) between their front teeth.  I don't speak Thai, but I assume the "U" sound would somehow require more movement in the mouth.  Then again, maybe it's happening so fast, I'm missing it.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your input.  I guess it will remain a mystery until I confront someone (which will never happen since I don't speak Thai and can't ask diplomatically).  At least I know that it's not a common occurrence.  Not something Thai's are known to do regularly to express their displeasure with Farangs.  Otherwise, I think there would have been more responses like yours and less "Why do you care what Thai's think?".

Thanks again!