U.S. says 34 troops diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after Iran strike

rooster59

U.S. says 34 troops diagnosed with traumatic brain injury after Iran strike

By Idrees Ali and Phil Stewart

2020-01-25T001648Z_1_LYNXMPEG0O00J_RTROPTP_3_IRAQ-SECURITY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. soldiers inspect the site where an Iranian missile hit at Ain al-Asad air base in Anbar province, Iraq January 13, 2020. REUTERS/John Davison

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon said on Friday that 34 service members had been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury following missile strikes by Iran on a base in Iraq earlier this month, a number higher than the military had previously announced.

President Donald Trump and other top officials initially said Iran's attack had not killed or injured any U.S. service members.

Last week the U.S. military said 11 U.S. troops had been treated for concussion symptoms after the attack on the Ain al-Asad air base in western Iraq and this week said additional troops had been moved out of Iraq for potential injuries.

Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told reporters that 17 service members diagnosed had already returned to duty in Iraq.

Eight service members who had been previously transported to Germany had been moved to the United States and would receive treatment at either Walter Reed military hospital or their home bases.

Hoffman said the service members were being treated on an outpatient basis and were transported back to the United States in order to be closer to their pre-deployment bases.

Nine service members remain in Germany and are undergoing evaluations and treatment.

Hoffman said the military had seen symptoms like headaches, dizziness, sensitivity to light and nausea.

On Wednesday, Trump appeared to play down the injuries, saying he "heard that they had headaches and a couple of other things."

Pentagon officials have said there had been no effort to minimize or delay information on concussive injuries, but its handling of the injuries following Tehran's attack has renewed questions over the U.S. military's policy regarding how it deals with suspected brain injuries.

While the U.S. military has to immediately report incidents threatening life, limb or eyesight, it does not have an urgent requirement to do so with suspected traumatic brain injury, or TBI, which can take time to manifest and diagnose.

Hoffman said U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper had directed the Pentagon to review the process for tracking and reporting injuries.

"The goal is to be as transparent, accurate and to provide the American people and our service members with the best information," Hoffman said.

Various health and medial groups for years have been trying to raise awareness about the seriousness of brain injuries, including concussions.

According to Pentagon data, about 408,000 service members have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury since 2000.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali and Phil Stewart; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama, Chris Reese and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-01-25

just a thought regarding brain injuries,i was wondering about other world wide forces. never seem to here of these problems with other forces.is this something unique to the great american forces,or is it that other forces have no grey matter.maybe the rest of us are brain dead already.just a thought. of course our thoughts are always with those who are genuinely injured during active service. damn there goes that sore head again..sorry i must stop????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, beavenlen said:

just a thought regarding brain injuries,i was wondering about other world wide forces. never seem to here of these problems with other forces.is this something unique to the great american forces,or is it that other forces have no grey matter.maybe the rest of us are brain dead already.just a thought. of course our thoughts are always with those who are genuinely injured during active service. damn there goes that sore head again..sorry i must stop????????

I was just wondering whether you had actually been in the Armed Forces of whatever country you come from.

And if you had, I was also wondering if you had ever been in combat? If so, did you never observe your comrades, never hear of such injuries, never read anything about WW1 or WW2 -  Or just even attacked by drones/rockets whatever.

If not - suggest you respectfully shut your mouth!

If the USA wishes to phrase it differently to other countries, what difference does it make to you?

5 hours ago, beavenlen said:

I too wondered at the similarity between these injuries and those inflicted upon US diplomats in Cuba some years ago in circumstances that were never fully explained...?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

On Wednesday, Trump appeared to play down the injuries, saying he "heard that they had headaches and a couple of other things

Nothing serious, like bone spurs then...

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Hoffman said the military had seen symptoms like headaches, dizziness, sensitivity to light and nausea.

Traumatic brain injury? Going a bit overboard with drama aren't they?

These symptoms are consistent with concussion due to large explosions.

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

How do they compare to a solid hit in the NFL ? Somebody better sue those bunker builders.

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Geez,  I wonder what other lies do you support.....the drama as you choose to label it, is the continual lies from Trump and his minions.  If you can't see the outrage in that, then you must be one of those deplorable's we are not supposed to talk about or you have Traumatic Brain injury

Which one is it ? 

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 7:46 AM, Langsuan Man said:

Now the stable genius is a doctor: (his term, not mine)

source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/22/politics/trump-us-service-members-traumatic-brain-injuries/index.html

Good job they never suffered from flat feet like he does. Or they might have never been allowed to serve!!

He probably thinks flat feet more serious than brain injury.

Edited by Baerboxer

21 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Sure Trump had to downplay the impact of the iranian attacks. Otherwise he would have had to react and escalate the situation. The danger for him is now to be seen as weakling.

He is getting more and more people against him with his stupidity:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/veterans-of-foreign-wars-demands-apology-from-trump-for-downplaying-brain-injuries-from-iranian-attack/ar-BBZjYzE?ocid=spartandhp