rental bike customer get camera ticket after they have gone

steve2112

my wife rented out a bike a couple of weeks ago and just got a ticket from the police for speeding and no helmet on Jao Faa East, 400 baht.

needless to say the customers are long gone.

its seems odd that she would have to pay for someone else's crime (in california you wouldn't, but they have real laws),  but here TIT i guess.

what do you think, is there a way out of the ticket, its clear from the photo its not her, its a bloke

Edited by steve2112
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I suppose it's one of the hazards of operating a bike rental business.

Learn from it. Take credit card details in future, though finding a way to charge without the physical card is less easy

Indeed, take the credit card details for this kind of situations.

If you have a credit card machine you don't need the actual card, the card information is enough to make a transaction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, merijn said:

Indeed, take the credit card details for this kind of situations.

If you have a credit card machine you don't need the actual card, the card information is enough to make a transaction.

Can not with my credit cards, since I have to approve with my cell phone bank Id if. The only way is to freeze a fixed amount for a fixed time. But when you know tickets can take a month before appear in your mail, it doesnt look to good for the rental companies. 

23 hours ago, Tagged said:

Can not with my credit cards, since I have to approve with my cell phone bank Id if. The only way is to freeze a fixed amount for a fixed time. But when you know tickets can take a month before appear in your mail, it doesnt look to good for the rental companies. 

I suppose that you have a agreement with your bank that every transaction had to be approved by phone.

This is possible with some banks so far i know but it is not standard and almost all credit cards can be charged without the actual card.

47 minutes ago, merijn said:

I suppose that you have a agreement with your bank that every transaction had to be approved by phone.

This is possible with some banks so far i know but it is not standard and almost all credit cards can be charged without the actual card.

And if he then dissaprove the payment? What you doing would be illegal if you do not have an valid aggreement. 

I would never ever give my credit card details to any other than a well known international rental service. Thats nr one. Second I think it is bad case if the customer already have left, and even if still around, do think police would care? 

I borrowed a car from a friend, He got the Speedingticket, and he got his name on it since he paid. I let my gf pay my red light ticket, it got in her name since she paid, even the ticket was in my name and had my details on it. 

1 hour ago, merijn said:

Depends on the arrangement between merchant and bank. Quite often the physical card is required.

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

Depends on the arrangement between merchant and bank. Quite often the physical card is required.

I can only provide my experience of-course.

But i did many transactions with my credit card machine without the the actual card.

This was done for deposits etc.

did your renting-out; include a helmet? that wasn't worn? 

but then a helmetless photo also provides a face photo proof of who's riding (and who was Not)

Nominate the name of the rider on your Agreement, and let the Traffic Office sent a new notice to where ever in the world the rider comes from.

If they don't pay, then they will have it on Police record, if they ever come back

3 hours ago, tifino said:

but then a helmetless photo also provides a face photo proof of who's riding (and who was Not)

Nominate the name of the rider on your Agreement, and let the Traffic Office sent a new notice to where ever in the world the rider comes from.

If they don't pay, then they will have it on Police record, if they ever come back

Doesn't matter who was driving/riding, the offense was made on the bike with that registration number. Don't pay and registration will not be renewed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tifino said:

The owner of the bike as mentioned in the owners book is responsible for the fines.

If any fines are outstanding the road tax can't be renewed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, merijn said:

The owner of the bike as mentioned in the owners book is responsible for the fines.

If any fines are outstanding the road tax can't be renewed.

but my subliminal bottom line; is to in the first instance, obtain/record all relevant Contact/Id of the intending renter/s 

and by Warning the Rider(s) that any unsatisfied outstanding Fines will forever be Recorded, and used against them in any future visits...

- and just now adding the 'threat' of being held at LOS airport immigration for outstanding Fines 

it is all, about bluff; not all about the value of the Fine itself 

a foreign renter would not be in reality, familiar with any fineprint in the 'owners' book, which stays with owner at home  

Edited by tifino