After days of concern, Bangkok air quality now ‘excellent’

rooster59

Thai organisations of tourism say : we've lost 40% of our customers...

Prayut says to Chinese and Indian that they will get soon a free visa.

The day after, Thailand counts 5% more tourists than last year !

Bangkok is coughing in a pollution which recently beat a world record.

Prayut closed a few schools and he said to the People to  be strong. 

The very next day, Bangkok air is clean !

Ma-gi-cal !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

With these numbers the greens in Germany would cry for complete shutdown :biggrin:

Take the p*** if you will but it was the efforts of the greens and protesters that have made Germany the leading light in industrial filters for factory chimneys, in fact this caused a new branch of technology which has created new workplaces and their filters are exported around the world.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, phka said:

It's because it's Chinese New year they have stopped burning for a couple of days. 

Was the same on January 1

Back to the smoke on Monday folks sorry, make the most of the weekend gas masks back on monday

It's not because they've eventually stop burning the fields that the WIND came back.

I would not place much credence in the Air4Thai app...as it usually shows numbers that indicate better air quality than the other two trusted AQI monitoring sites (AirVisual and World Air Quality Index) will report for a given area.  A couple of years ago, one of our more erudite Thai neighbors, a retired Thai government senior ministerial official, met my wife and I while we were out taking a walk. He was wearing a mask, the only person I’d ever seen doing so, and stopped us to compare our air quality monitoring apps on our respective phones. We were unmasked and using Air4Thai at the time and he was using AirVisual.  The difference in readings between the two apps was significantly different...perhaps 50 ppm variation in total AQ pollution content between the two.  This man cautioned us to not place our faith in the Thai app and to install AirVisual as a much more accurate monitor.  His clear inference was that this data disparity was due to how poor air quality data is interpreted, tweaked and then reported by Thai Government authorities to its own population.  So I would suggest that TV readers might wish to be more vigilant in from what source they obtain their AQ information.

• Like 1

I want whatever these guys are smoking.

Speaking of which, they're opening a ganja clinic at the government hospital in Chiang Rai next month.  

FYI: Insomnia is on the list. 

Can't sleep. 

Need sleep. 

Not sleeping is TERRIBLE for the heart. ????

Woo hoo!!!1!1!

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

It seems that almost every government department has to lie to some degree to please the people !

Well we dont want tourists arriving to see everybody in gas masks and bio suits do we lol. 

In 35 years of visiting and living in this country I have never ever thought the air quality was anywhere near excellent??   Or is that meant as 'excellent' enough to fool the people?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jooss said:

Thai organisations of tourism say : we've lost 40% of our customers...

Prayut says to Chinese and Indian that they will get soon a free visa.

The day after, Thailand counts 5% more tourists than last year !

Bangkok is coughing in a pollution which recently beat a world record.

Prayut closed a few schools and he said to the People to  be strong. 

The very next day, Bangkok air is clean !

Ma-gi-cal !

I'm awaiting the announcement that, after being instructed and assisted all last night by Mr P,  Thai doctors have developed a vaccine for corona virus but have decided not to distribute it as they have discovered the virus is actually very good for your health and can also sometimes give you winning lottery numbers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) has reported air quality in Bangkok and neighbouring provinces are at "excellent" to "moderate" levels with PM2.5 under the safety standard used by the department.

It seems that all the other provinces don't interest anyone!
Here for example, Nakhon Sawan, at 7 there were 72 microns, now at 16 there are 97 ...
And to call the situation in Bangkok excellent is an abuse of a word that for decades should no longer be used in Thailand!

• Like 1

the average particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns (PM2.5) in the air was around 16 to 46 micrograms per cubic metre, which is below the department’s safety standard of 50µg/m3.

Read below:

However, it is still over the safety standard of the World Health Organization of 25 µg/m3 in a 24-hour mean.

that says it all, i.e. it is still over the safety standard of the WHO of 25 ug/m3, but in Thailand, they know better, i.e. "below the department's safety standard of 50ug/m3"

I would prefer to listen to the WHO regardless, suffice to say it looks as if the wind sent it up to us in Isaan, the air quality all day yesterday was bad, that's with a capital B. 

Sister-in-law came over this morning after allowing her 2 year old to play at the school across the road, when we saw her on the way home from collecting our kids from school, we advised her to get him indoors or he will get ill, bah.... she knows best, well today the little fella has a dry cough (all night long), and she came to us to take her to the doctor, nope I said, too busy, so she got her friend to take her, they won't listen and I won't drive 20 minutes and wait half the day for her to see the doctor, if she don't want to listen, not my problem, and what did the doctor say, hmmm, he has a respiratory problem, give him this medicine and give him plenty rest, yep right, nothing about the air quality.

Give me a break, she probably believed what Prayut said the other day, something on the lines of: I can handle it, so can you, just take care when out and about, what ignorance, but it is Thailand and we farangs are learning to what degree the levels of ignorance go to, top to bottom, and bottom to top, like I said in another post, you just can't help stupid. 

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, wasabi said:

I was just in Phuket. Now that was some 'excellent' air quality. I would not say BKK air is excellent but there is some improvement. I know simply pulling off black exhaust belching cars from the road is NOT enough but it is at least a step in the right direction.

Phuket is the only safe place in Thailand to live. Has everything. Super developed. I love Bangkok but would never live there long term. No need to really when you can fly from Phuket to Bangkok and be in downtown in under 2.5 hours. 

You’re quite literally shaving decades off your life by living in Bangkok. The AQI there is currently 66 which is fine. But it’s when it gets up over 100 that you have to worry about long term health effects like lung cancer.  Sadly, Chiang Mai is even worse than Bangkok. Phuket really is the only place in Thailand that a responsible Westerner should be living.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As I'm sure everyone has noticed, 'winter' ended last Tuesday when the wind shifted around to the south. The offshore wind must have blown a lot of the smoke away from Bangkok.

The heat and humidity is rapidly building here in Isan. Of course, the monsoon is still weak, so early in the year and the winds are bound to be variable for the next month or so.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

the better air quality in Bangkok has absolutely nothing to do with any measures they did impose or did not impose.  The reason lies in the change of the prevalent wind direction.  During most of last weeks,  the wind was coming straight from the East, which means it brought haze from Cambodia and the smokescreen of the burning sugarcane field around Prachinburi and Chachoengsao. 

since yesterday the winds have turned and now are blowing into Bangkok mostly from the Bay of Bangkok, from the open sea, from southeast and southwest.

You can look at the wind directions in the airvisual map and see for yourself.  Not the government, but the WEATHER GODS caused cleaner air in Bangkok !

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand

Now Prachinburi gets all the haze from Cambodia, as do we where we live near the Cambodian border at Kantharalak. The Air quality there is  AQI 150 thru 160

"since yesterday the winds have turned and now are blowing into Bangkok mostly from the Bay of Bangkok"

Can you please tell me where I can find the Bay of Bangkok?

You do know there are two provinces called Samut Sakhon and Samut Prakan between Bangkok and the sea,right? 

5 hours ago, thaipod said:

Wait till the end of Chinese New Year when everyone is back and business as usual 

Yes and air quality goes down again due to Chinese flu and influx of free visas for Chinese fleeing China for to get away from it. I'm sure if your a pharmacist you will be rubbing your hands with face mask sales as true figures still not told. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

After days of concern, Bangkok air quality now ‘excellent’

After days of officials doing nothing except talk, Bangkok residents can now breathe a little easier after being told to stay indoors if possible while the air quality sorts itself out!

28 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"since yesterday the winds have turned and now are blowing into Bangkok mostly from the Bay of Bangkok"

You do know there are two provinces called Samut Sakhon and Samut Prakan between Bangkok and the sea,right? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_of_Bangkok

28 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Phuket is the only safe place in Thailand to live...."

Uhhh.  Safe?  Really?

"Tsunami"

One road in/out isn't "safe" in case of any type of emergency.

Are you telling me Koh Chang (the big one that's open all year around, not the part year Phuket island) has dirtier air than Phuket?!?!?

Air tends to flows N X NE in Thailand. 

Isn't Phuket closer to God awful India? 

Lawless Myanmar? 

Koh Chang gets pure ocean air.

You should get out off that barstool more often. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419