After days of concern, Bangkok air quality now ‘excellent’

rooster59

I saw air quality report on western television, Bangkok was 4 while 5 is the worst possible.

What are those morons trying to tell us? It seems they lie every day to please the people and to avoid having to do something about it. Lessons learned from Trump??

5 hours ago, bagheera65 said:

It happens that i made studies a long time ago of Chinese energetic medicine ( also known as acupuncture ), now i’m going to make a long story short but here is the reason why there was almost NO wind during the last three weeks and WHY the wind came back yesterday: 

The Chinese new year happen the second new moon of the year and marks in fact the beginning of the “energetic year”, which has four different type of energies going one after another all year long also known as the four elements ( Wood, Fire, Metal and Water ). The first energy is the one of the Spring, the Wood element, and among a lot of others specs, in terms of “weather” the “Wood” IS the wind, meaning that when the energy of the Spring ( the Wood ) starts at the moment of the Chinese new year, the wind is coming back after nearly one month of almost no wind at all. And these cosmic energies are always “on time”, if i can say, usually even one or two days in advance as it happens this year, as it happened last year, and the year before, etc... 

Now, why is there no wind three weeks before the Chinese new year, each January? Because between each energy there is always three weeks of “Earth” energy, to bring back the energy of the season at the center. And the Earth element is basically “death”, nothing move. Now, when we are in January, these three weeks of Earth element comes during a season ruled by the “Water” energy, which is the winter - though as we know winter in Thailand doesn’t really look like winter in Europe. But for those of you who lived real winters you know that winter is also the moment of the year where everything is dead - trees lose their leaves, nothing grow in the fields, the harsh cold weather keeps everyone at home, patiently waiting for the start of the Spring …to re-birth, to live again. When we have three weeks of Earth energy during the winter season, it’s just like if you were putting death over death, it’s the highest point of the year during which everything is “dead”. And of course when everything is dead, there is hardly no wind at all …until the Chinese new year happen and the Spring energy starts and bring back the wind. 

Now, i suppose some of you will think that’s nuts without having ever study a thousand years medicine, an one of the most subtle which exist, but remember this: next year, if you want to know WHEN the pollution will be at its highest, check the date on which will be the Chinese new year in 2021, then get out of Bangkok or even Thailand - and if possible even Asia as the pollution problem is the same almost all over Asia -  during the three weeks, or even one month BEFORE the date of the Chinese New Year, and you will avoid the worst pollution. Or find a place which is an island, like Phuket which still had high numbers off air quality but still more than half than what we had in Bangkok thanks to the islands micro-climate and always having more winds. 

Its still a <deleted> ck ing long story

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"since yesterday the winds have turned and now are blowing into Bangkok mostly from the Bay of Bangkok"

Can you please tell me where I can find the Bay of Bangkok?

You do know there are two provinces called Samut Sakhon and Samut Prakan between Bangkok and the sea,right? 

the smaller Bay of Bangkok eventually widens to the "Gulf of Thailand" . . I do not remember where I  caught the phrase, must have been a long time ago. You are surely right there is no mentioning of an "Ao Krungthep", the gulf starts at the mouth of the Chao Phraya and a few other rivers east and west of it.  Anyways, I just wanted to point the attention to the now prevalent southerly winds coming in from the Gulf of Siam

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

Phuket is the only safe place in Thailand to live. Has everything. Super developed. I love Bangkok but would never live there long term. No need to really when you can fly from Phuket to Bangkok and be in downtown in under 2.5 hours. 

You’re quite literally shaving decades off your life by living in Bangkok. The AQI there is currently 66 which is fine. But it’s when it gets up over 100 that you have to worry about long term health effects like lung cancer.  Sadly, Chiang Mai is even worse than Bangkok. Phuket really is the only place in Thailand that a responsible Westerner should be living.

That's an awful lot of irresponsible Westerners then!   Exaggeration of the risks doesn't help.

22 hours ago, wasabi said:

I was just in Phuket. Now that was some 'excellent' air quality. I would not say BKK air is excellent but there is some improvement. I know simply pulling off black exhaust belching cars from the road is NOT enough but it is at least a step in the right direction.

Is it possible that the AQI figures are being juggled about to suit what is popular. I live in the Song District of Phrae, where there is no burning going on, because second crop is well underway. Yet trees 50m away seem grey, trees 20m away seem grey. The mountains a couple of kilometres away are invisible, i have a relation admitted to hospital yesterday with bronchial problems, yet miraculously the AQI for this area is less than half of what it was two days ago. Your thoughts on this anybody.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Sister-in-law came over this morning after allowing her 2 year old to play at the school across the road, when we saw her on the way home from collecting our kids from school, we advised her to get him indoors or he will get ill, bah.... she knows best, well today the little fella has a dry cough (all night long), and she came to us to take her to the doctor, nope I said, too busy, so she got her friend to take her, they won't listen and I won't drive 20 minutes and wait half the day for her to see the doctor, if she don't want to listen, not my problem, and what did the doctor say, hmmm, he has a respiratory problem, give him this medicine and give him plenty rest, yep right, nothing about the air quality.

Give me a break, she probably believed what Prayut said the other day, something on the lines of: I can handle it, so can you, just take care when out and about, what ignorance, but it is Thailand and we farangs are learning to what degree the levels of ignorance go to, top to bottom, and bottom to top, like I said in another post, you just can't help stupid. 

Wow, you won’t take a family member (a child to boot) to the doctors’ just to prove a point. How mature of you. 
Be careful of karma though you probably don’t believe in that as well. 

I do not believe them. Because, the lower ranking government officials are pushed by their superiors.

So what can happen is, that they forward unreal fake numbers.... So, everybody is happy again.

I have seen fake and impusible numbers by myself.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Wow, you won’t take a family member (a child to boot) to the doctors’ just to prove a point. How mature of you. 

Family member, not my family member, you know nothing about this "family member", so please, spare me with the judgement, to prove my point or how mature I am.

Took me a while and still does, to adjust to Thai village mentality, that said, if she listened and didn't hold her expert head up so high in the clouds, she might of just got some assistance, suffice to say, when the $hit hits the fan, that is, after we advised her that it would best to take the kid indoors because of the bad air quality, she then runs to us, she lives with her parents, her drug addict/dealing partner is doing 10 plus for selling yaba, who knows if she still is too, she has to depend on her parents, but will abuse the <deleted> out of them when they won't provide her some assistance, i.e. stand on your own two feet, hence the reason her own father didn't offer to take the kid to the doctor, yes sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, she is 36 for crying out loud, heartless we are not, yes the kid would end up suffering, but she found her way with a friend who charged her 200 baht for the petrol to take her to the doctor.

I have raised 5 kids with my wife, we don't appreciate uneducated, selfish people not listening, and then coming to us when what could have been avoided, wasn't, because they knew best, we are not a taxi service, we have taken the kid on many occasions to get his vaccinations, and done things to assist where we believe it is in the kids best interest, not to the local for shopping or sponging off of us, but like I said, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, today she was around with him, he is better, medicine has reduced the swelling to his air passage, she asked us to give him panadol because he has a temperature, she cannot do it, go figure, perhaps she is now somewhat educated as to why we don't take allow our kids out when the air quality is bad, if she hasn't learned anything from this, then unfortunately the kid will suffer further, we cannot run and help those that cannot help themselves through their own blindness, or are not willing to at least listen.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 12:53 PM, ericdiam said:

Dam stupid government. STOP using words like excellent. It Still mostly over 25. And that means by WHO. IT EXTREMELY UNHEALTHY!!!  DAMAGING YOUR LUNGS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. 

Why should expats be required to pay for healthcare when THE STUPID GOVERNMENT DOES NOTHING to enforce the laws and stop this from happening!?!?!?!?

On 1/25/2020 at 12:53 PM, ericdiam said:

Dam stupid government. STOP using words like excellent. It Still mostly over 25. And that means by WHO. IT EXTREMELY UNHEALTHY!!!  DAMAGING YOUR LUNGS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. 

Current fires burning courtesy of NASA satellite imagery.

IMG_20200126_113924.jpg

23 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Don't blame him, what can a Dr do for a cough that you can't get in 7/11? Thais take kids to the Hospital as soon as they sneeze, time wasters. As for karma that's a fairy tale along with heaven and hell to scare the foolish with.