BANGKOK
elephant45

Grab more expensive than Taxi

I checked the price from my condo to the airport, 290baht, called a taxi I used before and got it for 200baht. Any similar experiences?

Maybe it's because you're going to the airport. Same thing happened to me with Uber a couple of years ago.

I rarely use Taxis in CNX but for me I also noticed that Grab is more expensive, which is why I use the official airport taxis.

The official taxis also increased their price from 160 to 200 (25%) recently when I went back from the airport. Same price for me, before they always got a tip and I rounded it up to 200, now 200 / no tip.

When I don't use Grab I've often had bad experiences with cars and drivers/driving.

Grab are worth the extra. Professional.

Generally if you use the taxi part of the app it's an estimate, and it ends up meter plus the 20 Baht or whatever.

If you use Just Grab it's a fixed fee?

Grab is worth the extra.

Edited by Andyfez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Airport is not a good business for Grab drivers because mostly they have to drive back empty. Since they are not legal it is not easy to pick up customers there. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, henry2109 said:

Since they took over Uber in Thailand, they increased prices dramatically. They think the customer has no choices, and ask for silly tarifs..

Avoid them like the plague.

Could not disagree more. They provide an efficient and easy ride. GPS, polite drivers, cabs that dont stink, or play Luk Thung at high volume. Yes occasionally they are more but I think most would pay the premium to avoid a driver that asks you how to get there.   

• Like 2

I agree, the increased Grab taxi fare may be due to the airport destination itself.  Another poster mentioned that Grab drivers usually leave the airport without a return fare.  I’ve seen this myself.

I am a big Grab user and fan of their services, as I was with Uber before them.  

However, I have seen a decrease in fares for on-the-street taxis whose fares can be haggled since the decline in tourism.

Nonetheless, I vote for Grab every time.  They are generally reliable, and I like the idea that there is no two-tier pricing involved.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

Airport is not a good business for Grab drivers because mostly they have to drive back empty. Since they are not legal it is not easy to pick up customers there. 

Either drive back empty, or loop back around and sit on the highway shoulder 10 minutes up the road for a long time.

I gave up getting Grab from the airport. It's too much of a hassle to stand waiting in the pickup zone for 10+ minutes checking the license plates of the cars slowly driving past. Never had to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes for a taxi in the official zone downstairs.

In most cases Grab adds an additional fee to or from airports.  Also, Grab is location dependent.  Fore example, I find Grab much cheaper in Chiang Mai than Pattaya.

• Thanks 1