Grab more expensive than Taxi

elephant45

I rarely use Taxis in CNX but for me I also noticed that Grab is more expensive, which is why I use the official airport taxis.

The official taxis also increased their price from 160 to 200 (25%) recently when I went back from the airport. Same price for me, before they always got a tip and I rounded it up to 200, now 200 / no tip.

When I don't use Grab I've often had bad experiences with cars and drivers/driving.

Grab are worth the extra. Professional.

Generally if you use the taxi part of the app it's an estimate, and it ends up meter plus the 20 Baht or whatever.

If you use Just Grab it's a fixed fee?

Grab is worth the extra.

Edited by Andyfez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, henry2109 said:

Since they took over Uber in Thailand, they increased prices dramatically. They think the customer has no choices, and ask for silly tarifs..

Avoid them like the plague.

Could not disagree more. They provide an efficient and easy ride. GPS, polite drivers, cabs that dont stink, or play Luk Thung at high volume. Yes occasionally they are more but I think most would pay the premium to avoid a driver that asks you how to get there.   

• Like 2

I agree, the increased Grab taxi fare may be due to the airport destination itself.  Another poster mentioned that Grab drivers usually leave the airport without a return fare.  I’ve seen this myself.

I am a big Grab user and fan of their services, as I was with Uber before them.  

However, I have seen a decrease in fares for on-the-street taxis whose fares can be haggled since the decline in tourism.

Nonetheless, I vote for Grab every time.  They are generally reliable, and I like the idea that there is no two-tier pricing involved.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

Airport is not a good business for Grab drivers because mostly they have to drive back empty. Since they are not legal it is not easy to pick up customers there. 

Either drive back empty, or loop back around and sit on the highway shoulder 10 minutes up the road for a long time.

I gave up getting Grab from the airport. It's too much of a hassle to stand waiting in the pickup zone for 10+ minutes checking the license plates of the cars slowly driving past. Never had to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes for a taxi in the official zone downstairs.

3 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Grab vs. Taxi to the airport. 290 Baht vs. 200 Baht. Whoop tee do!

TVF - the hang out of cheap charlies.

What if it was a daily commute though. That is 30% more for your transport. 

Could be surge pricing, it's high season after all. Or they stopped subsidizing Grab in Chiang Mai - I'm not sure since I've not used it much lately. Anyway, if you want to save some money, you can choose a drop-off location other than CNX terminal - like Central Airport plaza or nearby cafe/gas station works too.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:06 PM, observer90210 said:

I never had issues with GRAB, the prices were always cheaper then a normal taxi - no arguing, no trying to cheat with a longer route, clean new cars...I definately will never again take a taxi cheat anywhere in the world. GRAB and UBER are the best alternatives and the cheapest.

Of course this is my modest, humble and personnal experience and good for those who like to argue with the official taxi cheats.

There are no UBER anymore in Thailand because Grab bought it. The prices in Pattaya went up 50% overnight, and the prices has gone up since then. If I flag down an empty baht bus and tell them to go the Northern Bus Terminal from where I'm staying, it will cost me ~200 baht. Grab wants ~340 baht. A Grab driver gave me his phone number and said he'd drive me to the bus terminal or anywhere in Pattaya for 200 baht. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Grab wants ~340 baht. A Grab driver gave me his phone number and said he'd drive me to the bus terminal or anywhere in Pattaya for 200 baht. 

Grab drivers don't earn much at least in Pattaya. I know several Grab drivers here. Often they have only 1 customer a day. And if the police catches them they have to pay 2000 Baht. Taxi drivers report their license plate and at the next checkpoint they will be stopped. Tips - a very rare exeption. There are too many drivers - good for Grab. It is not legal and the drivers will have to pay the fine and not Grab.

15 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Yes, Grab is more expensive than taxi. But you can choose GrabTaxi which is 20 baht on top of meter fare.

Now that sentence would assume you can just stop any taxi and they immediately turn on the meter and take you at best possible route to your destination. It doesn't assume extorting taxis or you standing there for 3 hours without anyone wanting to take you without a rip-off price, giving you a city tour, and every other scam known to man.

With Grab, price is as listed, GPS directs the taxi to fastest route to destination and you don't get rejected... Although, especially in bad traffic jam, it can happen that simply nobody responds to your booking. That's true. But then at least you know immediately that you should seek alternative transport rather than stand there trying to catch a cab that won't take you.

GrabTaxi is more expensive than GrabCar or JustGrab in Pattaya. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

GrabTaxi is more expensive than GrabCar or JustGrab in Pattaya. 

Never took it in Pattaya so I didn't know that. In Bangkok GrabCar or JustGrab is more expensive than GrabTaxi. But usually JustGrab responds quicker than GrabTaxi, especially for long distances.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:06 PM, observer90210 said:

I never had issues with GRAB, the prices were always cheaper then a normal taxi - no arguing, no trying to cheat with a longer route, clean new cars...I definately will never again take a taxi cheat anywhere in the world. GRAB and UBER are the best alternatives and the cheapest.

Of course this is my modest, humble and personnal experience and good for those who like to argue with the official taxi cheats.

I just downloaded the grab app but can’t see how to order a taxi. Can you please help 

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

In most cases Grab adds an additional fee to or from airports.  Also, Grab is location dependent.  Fore example, I find Grab much cheaper in Chiang Mai than Pattaya.

What he said. Depends where you are and where you're going. Sometimes dearer (not by a huge amount) many times cheaper. I don't use taxis a lot but when I do I always check the price on grab first. If I think it's value I'll book them. As has already been said you know the price up front, can pay by credit card or paypal and no haggling with stroppy taxi drivers. 

Grab is damn expensive in pattaya... starts at 160 baht.... even New York cheaper. Sticking to buses and walking until fair prices. 3 years ago at least the prices were competitive before Uber left. Since then it’s an extortion. No wonder no1 goes pattaya anymore.

Edited by Drax

We came up last week from Hat Yai - where there has only been licensed taxis for say 8 years. They have meters but never use them.

Taxi was 100B from Don Muang to a local airport hotel and 50B + 20B to the airport.

In HY, you need to book a few days in advance, and they will often leave you in the lurch pleading with the next door neighbour for a lift to the airport.

So whatever you say, grab is a great service - I stepped out of the Don Muang hotel at 3.00 am - concierge tried to sell me a 200B ride and the moto offered to go and hail me a taxi for 20B - I just pulled out my phone and within seconds I was watching the taxi winging its way on the map - there is no pleasing some people I guess.