Grab more expensive than Taxi

elephant45

In Bangkok.

Since taking over Uber Grab are definitely a lot more expensive and always more than meter taxis. However the more you use them the more promos you get and with a promo I can often match a meter taxi fare. In Bangkok rush hour a meter taxi home would usually be more than a Grab.

ive learned from experience when to use taxis and when to use Grab. Airport trips however are almost always much more expensive with Grab but airport Grab pick ups can be fairly similar.

also with Grab's waiting time guarantees you get a discount promo for your next ride. I like the convenience of Grab and an extra few baht is worth it.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Beggar said:

Grab drivers don't earn much at least in Pattaya. I know several Grab drivers here. Often they have only 1 customer a day. And if the police catches them they have to pay 2000 Baht. Taxi drivers report their license plate and at the next checkpoint they will be stopped. Tips - a very rare exeption. There are too many drivers - good for Grab. It is not legal and the drivers will have to pay the fine and not Grab.

I used UBER before. At noon I paid about 160 baht from where I'm staying to a place in the middle of Pattaya. I just checked the GrabCar price = 286 baht. A year ago the price was ~240 baht. I can take a MC taxi + a baht bus to same location for 40 baht. It takes a bit longer, but I'm in no hurry. My Grab days are probably over, especially if I'm riding solo. 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, Max69xl said:

There are no UBER anymore in Thailand because Grab bought it. The prices in Pattaya went up 50% overnight, and the prices has gone up since then. If I flag down an empty baht bus and tell them to go the Northern Bus Terminal from where I'm staying, it will cost me ~200 baht. Grab wants ~340 baht. A Grab driver gave me his phone number and said he'd drive me to the bus terminal or anywhere in Pattaya for 200 baht. 

And in Phuket a run for which the official taxi was asking 300 THB, GRAB displays the same run for 150,- .... so what to say my dear chap ?...ok Phuket maybe not the best exemple with all the official taxi cheats, I agree...

I've used Grab in Chiang Mai and it was by far the best route to go.  Taxis in CM are more difficult to get.  The red mini buses don't always go where you want and have to wait until they have enough people.  You can just rent the whole mini bus but that gets expensive.  I found the Grab taxi to be much better value and service.  In Bangkok Grab is great for getting out of my soi as I live very deep in the soi.  Out on the main streets I use taxis because there are more of them around.  

On 1/26/2020 at 3:36 AM, tomazbodner said:

Yes, Grab is more expensive than taxi. But you can choose GrabTaxi which is 20 baht on top of meter fare.

Now that sentence would assume you can just stop any taxi and they immediately turn on the meter and take you at best possible route to your destination. It doesn't assume extorting taxis or you standing there for 3 hours without anyone wanting to take you without a rip-off price, giving you a city tour, and every other scam known to man.

With Grab, price is as listed, GPS directs the taxi to fastest route to destination and you don't get rejected... Although, especially in bad traffic jam, it can happen that simply nobody responds to your booking. That's true. But then at least you know immediately that you should seek alternative transport rather than stand there trying to catch a cab that won't take you.

I don't have any experience with Grab. How do I book one?

1 hour ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I've used Grab in Chiang Mai and it was by far the best route to go.  Taxis in CM are more difficult to get.  The red mini buses don't always go where you want and have to wait until they have enough people.  You can just rent the whole mini bus but that gets expensive.  I found the Grab taxi to be much better value and service.  In Bangkok Grab is great for getting out of my soi as I live very deep in the soi.  Out on the main streets I use taxis because there are more of them around.  

Anyone knows if Grab operates in Hua Hin?

you download from play store on google on android phone. Some of the problems are,

1. The driver does not show up ad they try to charge you anyways.

2. Driver can't find where you are.

3. They won't come during bust traffic hours.

I also use it in VN. Same app, no changes necessary.

6 hours ago, Tulak said:

I don't have any experience with Grab. How do I book one?

You go to playstore (Android)/app store (IOS) and search for Grab. Download application. Open it, and enter your basic details and phone number. You get SMS to enter into app (should be Thai number, some other countries - like if you had roaming from Europe would just give you error when requesting OTP). Once you're done with that, you choose you want Grab Car (not food and other stuff they offer). GPS will find out where you are but you can move the ball around to exact spot where you want to wait. You enter where you're going to and it starts searching - locate destination in the list and it'll show you the whole path on the map. Choose type of car (default is JustGrab, but you have options for GrabCar, GrabTaxi, larger car, van, motorbike...). It will display the price. If you're happy with the price (taxis have range and depend on meter, but others are fixed), tap on Book Now. It'll start broadcasting out, and when any driver responds, you'll get the message that driver is on the way, his name, model of car and registration number. He would likely send you messages (there's 2 way chat in application). Once he arrives, you hop in, and pay at the end of journey - either cash, or if you fill in credits into app, you can pay with Grab wallet. At the end you rate the car and driver. That's pretty much it.

Same app is used in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and as elephant45 says above, Vietnam also. Not sure about other countries. Malaysia works the best for JustGrab, in Thailand I've usually preferred GrabTaxi (to avoid cabbies beating up my driver) as it's still not legal if car isn't properly registered which GrabCar aren't.

• Thanks 1