Entering Thailand after being denied in September 2019

After visiting family for 2 months in Canada last summer I came back to Thailand with a valid METV in September 2019 and was denied entry. They sent me back home that night.

Not being able stand Canadian winters, I booked a flight to Cambodia as soon as I could and have been staying here ever since.

My METV is still valid and I plan to fly from Siem Reap to BKK before it expires.

So my question is: If I get denied entry again will they send me back to Cambodia or will they make me fly all the way back to Canada?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

Does the reason for being denied entry still exist? 

Apparently I was denied under section 12.2. That is for not having the appropriate means of living in the country.

Although that was never the case. I had sufficient funds in cash on me and everything else required to enter the country. I assume they want me to upgrade to the Elite Visa if I want to spend so much time in Thailand. 

I just hope having been outside the country since July they would let me back in for the remained of my METV.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt it does. I suspect it was one of the dubious denial of entries at the airports in Bangkok that have been reported several times on this forum.

dubious denial of entries, Phuket fits into that category cost my friend 4000 Baht 

52 minutes ago, jsmith22 said:

I had sufficient funds in cash on me and everything else required to enter the country. I assume they want me to upgrade to the Elite Visa if I want to spend so much time in Thailand. 

Or they are looking for a donation. Next time bring $2000 or more. If they give you 12.2 again lodge an appeal on the spot and never sign anything.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Nope. How can they jail you for paying a fee? I think you need to learn more about Thailand and how things work here, sounds like you've got a lot to learn. Pay someone $100 or be flown home at your (massive) expense? This smells like another thread that was posted not too long ago. How can you be too frazzled to pay $100 but cognisant enough to pay thousands of dollars to go home? 

You even used the same terminology as the previous post to which I refer. Is something suspicious going on here?

That thread was probably mine. 

I just mean I didn't know how bribes worked. I've never been offered to pay a bribe before and my sleep deprived mind went to the worst case scenario. Knowing what I know now, I would have done it for sure.

Edited by jsmith22
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

If someone official asks for a fee, then that's up to them. You won't get into trouble for paying it. If you offer someone cash to change their mind, that's a bribe and is risky.

If you get stuck in Thailand you can always ask the official "how much is the fee?". If they respond with an amount and you pay it, you can just tell the truth and said that you paid the fee. Is that a bribe? Probably. Did you do anything wrong? Almost certainly not.

If an official person in a foreign country accepts a fee or fine, who are you to argue? For all the first-time visitor knows it's all above board, and a good way to avoid getting into serious trouble.

Thanks Steve, I really appreciate that. Live and learn I guess.

3 hours ago, jsmith22 said:

I just hope having been outside the country since July they would let me back in for the remained of my METV.

You might wish to consider lodging a completed TM11 to appeal against their decision if they don't. Blank form downloadable via the following link (#2):-

https://move2thailand.com/thailand-immigration-forms-download/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jsmith22 said:

They actually gave me the chance to give them a 'donation' of $100, which in retrospect I should have given. But I was so frazzled at that point I assumed they would throw me in jail the moment I pulled out the cash.

What stops them from taking your money, then denying you anyway, while, at the same time, denying that they ever asked you and received your money?

5 hours ago, SteveK said:
5 hours ago, jsmith22 said:

They actually gave me the chance to give them a 'donation' of $100, which in retrospect I should have given. But I was so frazzled at that point I assumed they would throw me in jail the moment I pulled out the cash.

Nope. How can they jail you for paying a fee? I think you need to learn more about Thailand and how things work here, sounds like you've got a lot to learn. Pay someone $100 or be flown home at your (massive) expense? This smells like another thread that was posted not too long ago. How can you be too frazzled to pay $100 but cognisant enough to pay thousands of dollars to go home?

A few years back there was some official Thai noise about prosecuting and jailing people for offering bribes.  I've not read about anyone being prosecuted for bribing an IO in Thailand, but the idea of pulling out a little bribe money at immigration is pretty scary.  Especially for someone from a country where they would toss you in the hoosegow for attempting to bribe an IO.  Like the countries most of us hail from.

To the OP (and anyone else not familiar with how things work in LOS), live and learn.

Edited by impulse

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

A few years back there was some official Thai noise about prosecuting and jailing people for offering bribes.  I've not read about anyone being prosecuted for bribing an IO in Thailand, but the idea of pulling out a little bribe money at immigration is pretty scary.  Especially for someone from a country where they would toss you in the hoosegow for attempting to bribe an IO.  Like the countries most of us hail from.

To the OP (and anyone else not familiar with how things work in LOS), live and learn.

Not directly answering your question. Just relating my experience. First up it was not Thai imm.

I was flying return from Cambodia. The io kept saying "you lucky man" and refer to my Thai gf behind me. At the time I was very naive. He held me up and signaled me look over counter. Cut to chase he was asking for money. Unlike most posters here I never traveled when I was young. Could not believe it actually. I gave nothing.

Luckily only have have one hit up in Thailand so I guess we go with flow

When denied, did you have an option to fly to a different country? Or they forced you back to home country?

I was pulled aside a half year back and very nearly not let in. I flirted with the ladyboy supervisor and got through though. The mid-level officer was on a mission to send me back.

19 hours ago, jsmith22 said:

Had a buddy denied entry at Suvarnabhum on an SETV a while back. He went to Aus and stayed with his mom for a couple months. 
Flew back into suvarnabhum a couple months later while it was still valid. $300usd ‘processing fee’ and he was on his way 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SteveK said:

19 hours ago, SteveK said:

Now I'm starting to think that Thai people are posting on here for some reason, maybe trying to get people to advocate illegal behaviour or to provide information about "loopholes". Not many people use the word "frazzled".

Or maybe it's aliens from the planet zog.

Seriously man,  you're losing the run of yourself.

18 hours ago, OJAS said:

You might wish to consider lodging a completed TM11 to appeal against their decision if they don't. Blank form downloadable via the following link (#2):-

https://move2thailand.com/thailand-immigration-forms-download/

For the TM11 and TM12 it says the form must be submitted in person. How can this be done at the airport, and how long does the form take to process? Is there an appeals section? Also, if at an immigration office and the visa is revoked, how does the appeal process work? Thanks

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

What stops them from taking your money, then denying you anyway, while, at the same time, denying that they ever asked you and received your money?

If word spreads that you cannot trust a corrupt official you've bought and paid for, their income streams would soon run dry. It's a well-oiled machine, after all.

22 hours ago, SteveK said:

If someone official asks for a fee, then that's up to them. You won't get into trouble for paying it. If you offer someone cash to change their mind, that's a bribe and is risky.

If you get stuck in Thailand you can always ask the official "how much is the fee?". If they respond with an amount and you pay it, you can just tell the truth and said that you paid the fee. Is that a bribe? Probably. Did you do anything wrong? Almost certainly not.

If an official person in a foreign country accepts a fee or fine, who are you to argue? For all the first-time visitor knows it's all above board, and a good way to avoid getting into serious trouble.

True, and likewise with traffic cops: don't offer to bribe, just ask "can I sort this out here?" Works with offering to pay for any kind of on the spot service charge.

Hard to believe that the OP let them deport him all the  way back to Canada for a measly 100 bucks.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

They denied him entry and charged him 4000 baht. Was that the detention fee?

802 baht a day

1 hour ago, Ketyo said:

For the TM11 and TM12 it says the form must be submitted in person. How can this be done at the airport, and how long does the form take to process? Is there an appeals section? Also, if at an immigration office and the visa is revoked, how does the appeal process work? Thanks

Normally a minimum of 5 days in Detention all together.

23 hours ago, jsmith22 said:

No shame in donating for a good cause my friend! 

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2020 at 4:58 PM, jsmith22 said:

Nothing about Thai immigration would surprise me.