The week that was in Thailand news: Howzat! Rooster hits out at YouTwitFace....and scores 200 not out!

rooster59

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Their efforts proved in vain, however, as the Thonburi ro Ratchaburi express bore down.......Naew Na called it an Iron Horse.

Reminds me of old black & white westerns, where the phrase 'Iron Horse' was used by the Indians (not the TAT type).

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

for producing and selling honey without a work permit. Apparently social media was abuzz and yours truly, were I not totally legal, would have come out in hives at the thought.

That wasn't lost on me. I see you left that stinging comment to near the end.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Yes, Samui Bodoh, and the Thais know what the English are like.

That's why they call us "phuu dee angrit" - English gentlemen.

But you must admit, the Thai education system is not really up to par with the rest of the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

Being a fan of English culture, with Kipling and Dickens foremost coming to mind, and while not blind to many tragic past injustices visited upon the colonies, a thing that in the broad context of history could be argued to have been inevitable, still there have also been Benefits from development of infrastructure, government, education, healthcare, agriculture as well as many instances of Individual self sacrifice written into the history of these colonies.    Thailand, having had leadership that was skilled at finessing the appetites of the European colonial powers in the past has resulted in a unique situation.  This is a culture that remains fascinating and admirable in so many ways.  And viewing the unfolding of this story through the eyes of a not-unremarkable journalist of an English persuasion remains something a bright spot to look forward to each week.  

I'll take that as a compliment! Lord B. knows they are hard enough to come by these days!

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

The Americans went to war against the English 240+ years ago because they knew what the English were like.

Technically it was the 13 colonies and the French. more of an extra front of the war with the French.

An economic decision was made and the colonies were sacrificed as Jamaican sugar was more valuable.

24 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

My first daughter was educated in Thailand and got a masters degree from a small establishment in England. 

Called Oxford.

Rooster

Used to be an exclusive educational establishment; now it's full of proletariats. Just ask Bob Hawke.:burp:

PS Congratulations to your daughter

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

My first daughter was educated in Thailand and got a masters degree from a small establishment in England. 

Called Oxford.

Rooster

But you forget to specify that she had to make a clean sweep from the very little that she had learned in Thailand and in fact start all over again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

But you forget to specify that she had to make a clean sweep from the very little that she had learned in Thailand and in fact start all over again.

On the contrary she learnt from me in Thailand that it is one of the most important things in life to wait for closing time at Tesco when the specials come on offer. 

Though, I'll concede that she readily accepted that her earning potential in Canary Wharf might surpass anything Krung Thep had to offer. 

Rooster

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Though, I'll concede that she readily accepted that her earning potential in Canary Wharf might surpass anything Krung Thep had to offer. 

:sorry:  I spoke of the little and often very far from the truth that she had learned at school in Thailand;
obviously if you were just behind her to rectify and teach her something other than the formatted discourse of the class books of Thailand ....:jap:

I forgot ..

And this despite my vituperative vitriol versus Soi Dogs! "

They can sometimes be aggressive; a long stick that you can only use to keep them away and speak to them in Thai-isaan can help;
I tell them:

bo kin farang, bo sep

and generally they stop grunting;
on the other hand,  it is impossible to approach them, they are in fact afraid of us humans who beat them.
I have four dogs at home;
and I feed four, sometimes 5 others on a huge property a few km from my home;
by dint of patience, the three adults accept caresses but not yet the two young babies who are really wild but agree to be fed.

Edited by Assurancetourix

17 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...After 20 years of gross sarcasm, and like the average American, she still hasn't fully appreciated what the English are like..."

Respectfully, the whole world knows what the English are like. 

The Americans went to war against the English 240+ years ago because they knew what the English were like. Canadians went their own way 140+ years ago because they knew what the English were like. Aussies went their way approximately 120 years ago because they knew what the English were like. New Zealanders moved on about 110 years ago because they knew what the English were like. The Indians gladly saw the back of the English about 80 years ago because they knew what the English were like. The Egyptians happily saw the back of the English in 1922 because they knew what the English were like. The South Africans took off about 110 years ago because they knew what the English were like. The Singaporeans had had enough by 1963 because they knew what the English were like. Malaysians went their own way in 1957 because they knew what the English were like. Barbados took off in 1966 because things on the islands always go slow and because they knew what the English were like. Nigerians went their own way 60 years or so ago because they knew what the English were like. The Burmese left in 1948 because they knew what the English were like. Many others tried and tried and tried to leave, but were thwarted and/or forcibly stopped, but still wanted to go because they knew what the English were like. Many simply tried to merely ignore the English, but eventually got so fed up because they knew what the English were like. Etc, Etc, Etc, Etc.

Did you think the Brexit referendum was about the England leaving the EU? Nope. Actually, it was the other way around (Shhh! Don't tell the English!).

Never before in Human history have a people been left by so many others; it is unlikely that anyone in future times will be rejected so much.

Okay, English! Let me have it and demonstrate why so many have left you!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Thanks for that, and you have a nice Sunday too.

• Thanks 1

What an enjoyable read. I fit into your ‘newbie’ category having been here just under the upper limit of 5 years. But, there is no way I would consider myself an expert in anything Thai.

Mostly I don’t stray far from my village, except for my daily constitutional either on foot or bicycle. I meet up with a few other far(l)angs a couple of times a month for a beer at a local market. We pass the time counting the sugar roht baan tuk passing by and may comment on whether the harvest was burnt before cutting. Occasionally we may stop to brush off a few strands of charcoal like deposit from our Savile Row suits - yes, we’re mostly English. At this time of year, the sun is a ghostly red colour, and should there ever be an eclipse we wouldn’t need protective eyewear to view it. 

My wife relates the local gossip, and the only National news I hear is gleaned from this weekly summary. But I’m happy in my ignorance. I’m learning Thai from various on-line sources and practice by trying to read street signs on my perambulations. Being somewhat deaf makes it difficult to understand verbally, which in turn makes it difficult to pronounce correctly. My British upper lip probably also contributes to this problem. How the hell does one pronounce a dt or bp sound, or make the word sounds rise and fall? But at least I try. 

I wave, smile and say either ‘hello’ or sawat(s)dee to every adult  I pass (except the few who avert their eyes), and wave to toddlers and young girls; young boys get a thumbs up sign. Mostly I get a positive response. I am on first name terms with most of the local phu yai baan, and at social occasions (including funerals) there is always someone who recognises me as the man on the jakgrian. 

A far cry from the expats who by all accounts don’t inter-react with Johnny foreigner and spend their days instead propping up bars knocking everything Thai. And a far cry from the British, who exploited half the world’s population hundreds of years ago.

Probably bored most of you to tears. But, I thought I would let you know there is another side to the 50p piece. 

• Like 2

Apart from the distractions of "Samui Bob" thanks rooster, I've probably read about 95% of your blurbs and I hope you continue for the next appreciable length of time! I've been here for 23 years and to sit in a beer shop, drink a leo and watch the passing parade is one of my life's pleasures!

2 minutes ago, Fred white said:

Drink driving gotta be a British term I drink drive every time I go to town I stop at 7/11 and buy a grape ready drink but I never drive drunk 

With respect you shouldnt be doing anything other than operating the vehicle.

22 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...After 20 years of gross sarcasm, and like the average American, she still hasn't fully appreciated what the English are like..."

Respectfully, the whole world knows what the English are like. 

The Americans went to war against the English 240+ years ago because they knew what the English were like. Canadians went their own way 140+ years ago because they knew what the English were like. Aussies went their way approximately 120 years ago because they knew what the English were like. New Zealanders moved on about 110 years ago because they knew what the English were like. The Indians gladly saw the back of the English about 80 years ago because they knew what the English were like. The Egyptians happily saw the back of the English in 1922 because they knew what the English were like. The South Africans took off about 110 years ago because they knew what the English were like. The Singaporeans had had enough by 1963 because they knew what the English were like. Malaysians went their own way in 1957 because they knew what the English were like. Barbados took off in 1966 because things on the islands always go slow and because they knew what the English were like. Nigerians went their own way 60 years or so ago because they knew what the English were like. The Burmese left in 1948 because they knew what the English were like. Many others tried and tried and tried to leave, but were thwarted and/or forcibly stopped, but still wanted to go because they knew what the English were like. Many simply tried to merely ignore the English, but eventually got so fed up because they knew what the English were like. Etc, Etc, Etc, Etc.

Did you think the Brexit referendum was about the England leaving the EU? Nope. Actually, it was the other way around (Shhh! Don't tell the English!).

Never before in Human history have a people been left by so many others; it is unlikely that anyone in future times will be rejected so much.

Okay, English! Let me have it and demonstrate why so many have left you!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

George Washingtion, born in Popes Creek (?) 1732 (?) at the time America was a colony,  was by the law of the day English. 

Does that mean that the 1st President of America was an Englishman???

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The three counties you mention Canada,Australia and New Zealand are still members of the commonwealth and have not in fact left the the English and are still susceptible to the power of "Her Majesty the Queen of England",e.g. the 1975 sacking of the Prime Minister of Australia comes to mind.

I have given your post a "Like" and 99% of what you state is indeed fact. 

However, might I be so bold as to mention that Canada , Australia, and new Zealand, are in fact "countRies", not "counties"?

• Thanks 1