BANGKOK
rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Howzat! Rooster hits out at YouTwitFace....and scores 200 not out!

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Their efforts proved in vain, however, as the Thonburi ro Ratchaburi express bore down.......Naew Na called it an Iron Horse.

Reminds me of old black & white westerns, where the phrase 'Iron Horse' was used by the Indians (not the TAT type).

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

for producing and selling honey without a work permit. Apparently social media was abuzz and yours truly, were I not totally legal, would have come out in hives at the thought.

That wasn't lost on me. I see you left that stinging comment to near the end.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Marpa47 said:

a not-unremarkable journalist of an English persuasion

Could that be described as a backhanded compliment?

A bit like: I'm amazed at the level of success readers have after following your advice.

• Haha 1

Doh! If only you hadn't mentioned the anagram of coronavirus is carnivorous.

Just saw this headline "Govt steps up measures to tackle coronavirus situation" and immediately thought: vegetarianism.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Yes, Samui Bodoh, and the Thais know what the English are like.

That's why they call us "phuu dee angrit" - English gentlemen.

But you must admit, the Thai education system is not really up to par with the rest of the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marpa47 said:

Being a fan of English culture, with Kipling and Dickens foremost coming to mind, and while not blind to many tragic past injustices visited upon the colonies, a thing that in the broad context of history could be argued to have been inevitable, still there have also been Benefits from development of infrastructure, government, education, healthcare, agriculture as well as many instances of Individual self sacrifice written into the history of these colonies.    Thailand, having had leadership that was skilled at finessing the appetites of the European colonial powers in the past has resulted in a unique situation.  This is a culture that remains fascinating and admirable in so many ways.  And viewing the unfolding of this story through the eyes of a not-unremarkable journalist of an English persuasion remains something a bright spot to look forward to each week.  

I'll take that as a compliment! Lord B. knows they are hard enough to come by these days!

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

The Americans went to war against the English 240+ years ago because they knew what the English were like.

Technically it was the 13 colonies and the French. more of an extra front of the war with the French.

An economic decision was made and the colonies were sacrificed as Jamaican sugar was more valuable.

24 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

My first daughter was educated in Thailand and got a masters degree from a small establishment in England. 

Called Oxford.

Rooster

Used to be an exclusive educational establishment; now it's full of proletariats. Just ask Bob Hawke.:burp:

PS Congratulations to your daughter