Plans to give tourists cash coupons widely criticised - “It’s like paying foreigners to visit Thailand”

rooster59

12 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

TAT to the rescue! And using the tried and proven Misunderstanding Tool: He did not make a public announcement, he announced an idea publicly!

Ha ha, yeah!

Plus I think 'Misunderstanding Tool' - tool should be used in the broader sense of the word.

• Haha 1

Sirikanya Tansakun of the Future Forward party wanted to know several things. 

Not least of all where the money was coming from and would it be 1,000 baht or what?

How refreshing at last a politician with a brain from a different party. Ohh they are not in charge of the country, YET.

Pipat wants to introduce a similar scheme for visitors to Thailand, essentially offering foreign tourists a cash coupon they can spend on tourist related activities or in restaurants and shops. 

So desperate to get at tourists money they now want to bribe aliens to become tourists.

16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Had the government done any research to show that more visitors would really come to Thailand if they were given spending vouchers or would it just be wasted money, she asked. 

Rest assured Luv, People are not going to attend Thailand for a £20 voucher

Political motives from one side or another of the Thai system aside, I tend to agree with the idea that giving a cash-like “spend” voucher to a tourist (defined here as a genuine short-stay foreigner) isn’t really the best way forward.

Purely of my own thinking a genuine upper mid- to upper-level spend type tourist (whose daily aggregate spend might be in the range of US$1000 daily or more excluding hotel/airfare) won’t be radically swayed into their vacation planning over a voucher type system with a total value of less than US$100 or the like.

i think IF the goal is to attract this segment then you’ll have to offer them more native “experiences” as opposed to mass-volume tourist sites and show them you can offer it in a value-for-money level while also showing you have security, safety, and a well designed process.

I also think if one can do that, you’ll stand a better chance to attract the upper value tourist crowd, but also I’ll be there will be some level of trickle down to also positively impacts perhaps the lower-middle market as well.

Paying them so they have foreigners to rip off. Remember when the Thai family in Hua Hin got the foreigner rip off treatment and we’re outraged.  The Thai netizen went crazy at the situation!

Edited by Rawnthai