Chinese tourist in Hua Hin confirmed as Thailand’s sixth case of coronavirus

Jonathan Fairfield

52 minutes ago, xylophone said:

th?id=ON.0260C175766BE9B54A50A45A35297EE7&pid=News&w=256&h=158&c=14&rs=2&qlt=90

Eating bats........these despicable people will eat anything.

It's from the SUN, a very poor quality British tabloid that once led with the story "Freddie Starr Ate My Hamster.'

Some despicable people will spread garish rumours and some will fall for them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, samuttodd said:

Jeesh man,   you just did that yesterday.

He seems to love that feeling too much! 

How did the virus spread?

Where did the virus come from?

The virus appears to have originated in the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market in Wuhan, a Chinese city about 650 miles south of Beijing that has a population of more than 11 million people.

The market sells fish, as well as a panoply of meat from other animals, including bats and snakes. The Wuhan market was shut down Jan. 1. 

More information here: 

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/coronavirus-death-toll-rises-to-56-cases-approach-2000-everything-we-know/#wherefrom

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.

Here is some interesting information about the diagnosis processes used: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Xq7jT0ErmFsIXZY5m3xoNQ (Google translate works fairly well).

Quite a few challenges in getting the newly developed kits to where they are needed. Remains to be seen just how fast the virus will spread and how those kits reach the hospitals.

One quote from the Google translation:

This means that in Hubei, which is closed throughout the world, there are a large number of primary hospitals that do not have the testing conditions. For suspected patients outside the central urban area, the diagnosis is far away.

As I thought. Diagnosis need specialized equipment that is not widely available. In practise this means there is likely a huge number of undiagnosed walking about.

Edited by DrTuner

31 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Anyone thinking of or using a mask it should if possible make it the right kind .. N95 rating or P2 min P3 rated ideally to be effective.. Important to remember Beards and any facial hair compromises the masks seal and ergo the effectiveness. 

I've always wondered if a mere mouth/nose mask helps when it's spread by droplets. I'd think the eyes should be covered as well. A full face protective screen. Or better yet a hazmat suit. I wouldn't board a flight with Chinese without one.

Edited by DrTuner

We may be in the grip of a pandemic of fear.

What we can say for sure is that Wuhan will be a lot worse in China, simply because health care there is vastly inferior. It appears that, like flu, Wuhan usually kills through ­often treatable secondary infections. Well, treatable in the West. You’d be surprised at how many potentially deadly diseases ­(malaria, TB) Americans get that wreak havoc in much of the world but kill essentially none of us.

It also appears those most likely to die of Wuhan virus fit the same profile as flu fatalities: people over 65, those with compromised immune systems and those with serious pre-existing conditions. Two of the 17 Wuhan dead were 89-year-olds with pre-existing conditions; the youngest was 48 and suffering from diabetes and a stroke.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/dont-buy-the-media-hype-over-the-new-china-virus/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited just now by URMySunshine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's from 3 days ago. The situation is changing quickly. I'd be very surprised if WHO won't pull the trigger soon.

Thanks for the clarification. I hope we don't get to see the mortality rate in advanced healthcare systems as there won't be any deaths. I'm going from scared to hopeful and back again in the space of an hour , peeing off my missus who is accusing me of thinking too much. She maybe right. 

14 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

We may be in the grip of a pandemic of fear.

What we can say for sure is that Wuhan will be a lot worse in China, simply because health care there is vastly inferior. It appears that, like flu, Wuhan usually kills through ­often treatable secondary infections. Well, treatable in the West. You’d be surprised at how many potentially deadly diseases ­(malaria, TB) Americans get that wreak havoc in much of the world but kill essentially none of us.

It also appears those most likely to die of Wuhan virus fit the same profile as flu fatalities: people over 65, those with compromised immune systems and those with serious pre-existing conditions. Two of the 17 Wuhan dead were 89-year-olds with pre-existing conditions; the youngest was 48 and suffering from diabetes and a stroke.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/23/dont-buy-the-media-hype-over-the-new-china-virus/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited just now by URMySunshine

If the Corona doesn't Hit Run you...

the secondary Rabies will! - also no cure 

8 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

median age of those that have died is currently 49. of those many were healthy at the time

And your source for that info is what?

As far as is known the deaths are between ages 55 and 87.  Show me some info where perfectly healthy people have died from this contrary to doctors and the medical profession around the globe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

If there's any confirmed outbreaks in Thailand then I would expect a quarantine just like in China.

What do you mean 'if'? This is the 6th confirmed victim so there's been a 'confirmed outbreak' already.

18 hours ago, partington said:

The Thais are really good at organising things like this, so no problems there.

What things?

Rhetorical question to vacuous post: no need to answer.

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is just going to get much, much much worse I'm afraid to say. I hope I am wrong.

Somehow I don't think you do. Otherwise the inveterate Thai bashers will have to get by posting non-sequiturs like @partington above.

18 hours ago, dcnx said:

The PM will solve this in 5 days.

No, no he won't. What's more, he probably won't even think about saying he can either,

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

there is word on the internet the Chinese tourist in Hua Hin that has Corona virus rode the bus from Bangkok to HH potentially exposing almost  two dozen people.   

OMG! Really? Good job she took a commercial flight to Bangkok rather than walk there from Wuhan, eh? Think of the millions of people she could have infected doing the latter!!!

Preppers will be having a field day. All their nightmares are coming true and they will be hunkered down in their off grid cabin with plenty of food , water , medical supplies and a gun. 

"When it comes to handling money during the flu season I spray my paper money with Lysol and then let them dry out."

"Its little risk to put on my full face respirator and head to the local supermarket to grab some last minute supplies. Decontaminate when I get home."

????

https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=935742

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, fforest1 said:

The solution is simple.....Ban All Chinese.......

Totally under control. President for Life Xi has said so. No need to worry. Forget the virus, China is too busy with a brand new plastic bag ban. They are your friends. They are here to serve you . . . on a platter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is just going to get much, much much worse I'm afraid to say. I hope I am wrong.

Somehow I don't think you do. Otherwise the inveterate Thai bashers will have to get by posting non-sequiturs like @partington above.

Not sure I understand your reply ?

Are you insinuating that I am a Thai basher ?

58 minutes ago, rwill said:

5 days in the country until discovered.  I'm sure no one else was exposed...……..

it has been declared on average; she somehow only would have had contact with 10 others ???? not even 14...

Was at a nice hotel swimming pool a few years back and a Chinese man was coughing and spitting in the pool dirty bastad.

What's wrong with these people mind you didn't a group take the life jackets off a flight to bangkok a few years ago ?

Edited by kwak250
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Was at a nice hotel swimming pool a few years back and a Chinese man was coughing and spitting in the pool dirty bastad.

What's wrong with these people mind you didn't a group take the life jackets off a flight to banhkok a few years ago ?

Stay in a more expensive hotel next time. Problem solved 

1 hour ago, thisisrascal said:

I've lived in Beijing, I have friends and family who continue to live in Tianjin and Shanghai.

We all agree that whilst the younger generation, those with a more 'western' outlook tend to be polite and hygienic people, the uneducated and the 'lost generation' have characteristics that call their cleanliness into question.

We have seen these sort of foods offered on menus when travelling throughout the country.

Now yours is a post I can agree with and I especially like your comment about having seen the sorts of foods offered on menus when you've travelled throughout the country.

My Chinese girlfriend of 10 years in NZ was also disgusted with some of the things that the older generation and poor folk consumed, although she and her older family who were well educated were nice, educated and clean people.

Not so sure about the younger generation though, as she let her downstairs apartment to 2 young Chinese students and just left them to do what they did, and after about four months they wanted to move out, so they did and she went down to inspect the place and clean it up.

She called me, in tears, and asking me to come round to help her clean the place.........in the kitchen were dirty plates, some with food scraps still on them and mould growing, but the worst place was the toilet which had faeces on the toilet seat, on the outside of the pan and the floor nearby, as well as some on the walls by the toilet.

In addition the carpet on the floor was urine soaked and still wet, smelling foul. She could not bring herself to go into the toilet, because it made her retch, so yours truly complete with rubber gloves, a mask, a bucketful of disinfectant and a strong brush as well as a strong constitution had to clean it up.

It has been said that this virus emanates from eating bats, and that seems to be pretty well confirmed now, although there is a poster who will not believe what they are reading, so thank you for your post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Now yours is a post I can agree with and I especially like your comment about having seen the sorts of foods offered on menus when you've travelled throughout the country.

My Chinese girlfriend of 10 years in NZ was also disgusted with some of the things that the older generation and poor folk consumed, although she and her older family who were well educated were nice, educated and clean people.

Not so sure about the younger generation though, as she let her downstairs apartment to 2 young Chinese students and just left them to do what they did, and after about four months they wanted to move out, so they did and she went down to inspect the place and clean it up.

She called me, in tears, and asking me to come round to help her clean the place.........in the kitchen were dirty plates, some with food scraps still on them and mould growing, but the worst place was the toilet which had faeces on the toilet seat, on the outside of the pan and the floor nearby, as well as some on the walls by the toilet.

In addition the carpet on the floor was urine soaked and still wet, smelling foul. She could not bring herself to go into the toilet, because it made her retch, so yours truly complete with rubber gloves, a mask, a bucketful of disinfectant and a strong brush as well as a strong constitution had to clean it up.

It has been said that this virus emanates from eating bats, and that seems to be pretty well confirmed now, although there is a poster who will not believe what they are reading, so thank you for your post.

no it hasn't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1