Pattaya: Death and carnage after police drug chase - we followed procedures, say police

rooster59

Pattaya: Death and carnage after police drug chase - we followed procedures, say police

2A05EDD3-EB04-4B49-AF31-AC7F028C2F03-1280x720.jpeg

Caption: Procedures for catching bad guys

Police in Pattaya have claimed that proper procedures were followed after a 66 year old man died and two were seriously injured following the chase of a drug suspect through the downtown area.

The police have faced a barrage of criticism following the death of Prasert Latkrathum who was riding a motorcycle with his secondary school relative on the back. Another person suffered a broken leg according to earlier reports. 

Pol Lt-Col  Natthakorn Mongkhonmaha, deputy station chief of the Bang Lamung force, said that drug enforcement officers had mounted a sting at the Chaknork reservoir well away from the public. 

But the suspect had got away abandoning his girlfriend. 

A shot was fired in the air and a police vehicle was damaged making the escape possible.

Procedures were followed. 

Police have provided help and assistance to the dead and injured and their families and further help would be made available though official channels. 

A rear tire was shot out of the fleeing pick-up that careered off the road into two of the victims before smashing into a convenience store in Moo 8. Other damage had been caused moments earlier as the chase proceeded through crowded streets. 

The suspect was apprehended after a chase on foot and both he and his girlfriend are in custody. 

Three hundred grams of a drug worth half a million baht was taken into evidence.

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-25

2A05EDD3-EB04-4B49-AF31-AC7F028C2F03-1280x720.jpeg

• Sad 2

we followed procedures, say police..

as write Swaetalot :

if they followed procedures then the procedures are wrong "

Thai police should know that you never shoot in a rear tire even if it is easier than in a front tire.
a rear tire that explodes and it's carnage ensured; especially if the vehicle is moving fast

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

as write Swaetalot :

Thai police should know that you never shoot in a rear tire even if it is easier than in a front tire.
a rear tire that explodes and it's carnage ensured; especially if the vehicle is moving fast

I guess the guy they were chasing and whose tyres were shot out was unaware of those procedures. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I guess the guy they were chasing and whose tyres were shot out was unaware of those procedures. 

We don't care about the guy who was being chased;
if the cops had shot in a front tire he would not have lost control of his vehicle which would have stopped without injuring other people.

• Confused 3

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The people who got killed or injured by him did, given the opportunity.

Front tyres aren't accessible when chasing from behind.  It wan't too well a planned sting, or insufficient resources to box him in. 

why did they NOT employ a STINGER????!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

as write Swaetalot :

Only in Hollywood do tires explode when shot with bullets. Bullets make a hole, air bleeds out, no different than running over a spike. The real danger is collateral damage, aka bullet missing, or deflecting off street and hitting an innocent bystander or motorist. The smart thing to do is get the license # make and model, let them go if they cant intercept with spike strips or road blocks in front of them and arrest them at home. Public safety should be the top priority but it isn't trained here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

''A rear tire was shot out of the fleeing pick-up that careered off the road into two of the victims'' not a lot of thought went into shooting out that tire, maybe the chase should have been abandoned when it got to busy areas

Yeah thats a wonderful conclusion. Give me the facts. Give me the second by second anaylsis.

You ever tried a case against the police in a US Federal Court? If you havent, if you havent got each and every fact and circumstance down then you (meaning the universal you) have no business making any value judgement as to how was right, wrong or whatever.

But of course, a news report alwys is great for speculative defamation of anyhting Thai.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Proper protocol is one ceases the chase when the probability of harm or danger involves the public...

hey Nye, what do you say now?

Note to bad guy, always have getaway route include heavily populated areas for easy escape.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, featography said:

Bullets make a hole, air bleeds out, no different than running over a spike.

A hole and no explosion, I agree;
therefore more dangerous than a nail; I already rolled with a nail in a tire, the air escapes very gently;
with a hole, it will be much faster and if it happens at high speed on a rear tire it is the loss of control guaranteed, even if we are called Hamilton (Lewis of his first name)

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, featography said:

Only in Hollywood do tires explode when shot with bullets. Bullets make a hole, air bleeds out, no different than running over a spike. The real danger is collateral damage, aka bullet missing, or deflecting off street and hitting an innocent bystander or motorist. The smart thing to do is get the license # make and model, let them go if they cant intercept with spike strips or road blocks in front of them and arrest them at home. Public safety should be the top priority but it isn't trained here. 

Except for the last line a great analyis. By the way, if you have that canned fix a flat stuff in your tire and you shoot it with tracers or such like it makes a great boom. We filled a big old fat truck tire with like ten cans of it then wacked it with an M60, every fifth round an old Vietnam AP incendiary, didnt even get past the first incendiary when that sucker blew, ouch, Spielberg special effects!

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Whats the procedure here? Whats the Thai procedure? Not the western one. Because we arent in the west.

When we have been around them for many years, we know very well that they do not follow any procedure because they have learned none.
They do not know the Highway Code and would be unable to recite one regulation by heart.
They do not even respect it themselves by driving their motorcycles in flip-flop and very often with the helmet not attached. We see the two straps that float in the wind ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

if the cops had shot in a front tire he would not have lost control of his vehicle which would have stopped without injuring other people.

Thats not correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, featography said:

Bullets make a hole, air bleeds out, no different than running over a spike.

I forget to mention, there is a difference. Shoot a tire, as has been pointed out, its like rifing over a nail. Slow leak, you could roll for hours.

Spikes shred the tire. the tire basically just falls off the rim. And if you dont think thats also dangerous to civilians or other police officers, you havent seen them used.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Yeah thats a wonderful conclusion. Give me the facts. Give me the second by second anaylsis.

You ever tried a case against the police in a US Federal Court? If you havent, if you havent got each and every fact and circumstance down then you (meaning the universal you) have no business making any value judgement as to how was right, wrong or whatever.

But of course, a news report alwys is great for speculative defamation of anyhting Thai.

this aint USA, its Thailand,  he will pled guilty to get his sentence reduced by 50%

have you ever been involved in a high speed armed chase, giving a sec by sec commentary? if not then you ain't qualified to give a judgement, and i have seen and used spikes. i repost,  the police should have stopped the chase when it got to busy areas.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

A flat front tire does not cause loss of steering control; the rim of the flat or burst tire will leave two trails in the roadway and the vehicle will stop very quickly

Yall should go to youtube and watch the vids of the idiots riding for miles sparking away with shredded tired.

I drove 8 miles on front rims once. It was truly the suckiest experience of my life, even though, as usual, it was great.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Note to bad guy, always have getaway route include heavily populated areas for easy escape.

Yes, especially if you are like an armed child rapist with a screaming child ductaped in the back seat. 

Criminals dont follow rules and quite frankly, collateral damage as sad as it my be, happens.

• Like 1