Close the borders to Chinese Arrivals before it is too late!

Chrysaora

Infected people are arriving from China, should they close the borders to the Chinese?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

and risk dying as a consequence.

All is relative;
when you are born, you know that you will die ...

and then we are not yet in the catastrophic numbers of road deaths in Thailand ...
nor even more catastrophic of the so-called "domestic" deaths those arriving at home who are generally two to three times more numerous than those "on the road" .. whatever the country in the world ...

All in all, I am happy to live completely outside the "tourist circuit"; lost in the depths of nowhere in a tiny village of Isaan ...

10 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

In a nutshell they will carry HIV from their unfaithful Thai husbands to their Chinese customers and bring back the new new Corona-virus.

playing a very dangerous Gamble... image.jpeg.6c0183d6f7bfef105f7bcb40543e0b5c.jpeg 

maybe Thailand could quickly introduce a US-like ESTA programme as a useful prescreening...

- but make the processing time, much longer than the US's 72 hours 

and see who survives (incubation) healthily beyond that processing time

or restrict all entrants, to come into country via Ship, not Plane

The in lieu travel time, of Days into Weeks; instead of Minutes and Hours, might delay the 'fake' tourists for just long enough!

Edited by tifino

11 hours ago, impulse said:

Ain't Thailand great?  If you did that in the nanny states, they'd own your hotel after the discrimination lawsuits.

On airbnb it is a big deal about discrimination although you can cancel bookings but the host gets fined up to $100 a time and they will only allow so many cancellations before they close your account down at least on airbnb you have the choice to accept or decline, on lots of other OTA's it is instant booking making it difficult to cancel

10 hours ago, cmsally said:

https://www.livescience.com/new-china-coronavirus-faq.html

A fairly good summary and at least it seems you can somewhat protect yourself by wearing mask, avoiding people sneezing etc and wash your hands after touching surfaces.

Like clean that finger print scanner at the airport?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cmsally said:

https://www.chiangmainews.co.th/page/archives/1243673

Well it seems number 7 is in Chiang Mai at McCormick Hospital.

Sorry in Thai, couldn't find English.

Also another article says they have only just stopped flights from Wuhan to CM.

I have heard through friends that the Wuhan shutdown was known about before implementation, so many people just fled out in haste.

Is there any discussion of temporarily closing Thailand to anyone coming from, or through China?

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:10 PM, CharlieH said:

Seems a pointless exercise, as you have no say nor influence in this country unless you are a Thai national.

It's an opinion poll, we all know what we think won't have any bearing upon what happens. That's why they're called opinion polls. I for one am interested in what others think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:06 PM, Chrysaora said:

I see, so according to you, although some water entered through the top hatch of the conning tower (submarine) we should not bother closing or sealing it as we dive. 

We should drown.

Does that sum it up?

i hope you will forgive me if i respond to this metaphoric submersion with a haiku:

~

we will never drown

as long as we keep

our submarines on dry land

~

~o:37;

• Haha 1

On 1/25/2020 at 7:52 PM, Chrysaora said:
On 1/25/2020 at 7:51 PM, saengd said:

Closing stable door after horse has bolted.

I don't understand.

Many think it was pig or birds at the wet market in Wuhan; some one else thinks it was horsemeat? Horse is pretty good eating I read on the internet. But like Abe Lincoln said "don't believe all you read on the internet".

Close the door with China ok but since the virus is now in other countries you'd have to close those doors too. 

Edited by IAMHERE

too little too late, Thailand had the opportunity of doing Pro active measures by controlling/stopping/restricting the arrival of Chinese citizens, unfortunately (here in Thailand) money talks louder then people health concerns and they kept let them (Chinese) coming, now they are trying the reactive measures but the "cat" is already out and about

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:17 PM, tomazbodner said:

It's ALREADY too late.

Here are a couple of things (obviously this is about SARS, which is 1 protein different from current Wuhan corona virus, so probably same things apply):

- SARS can survive up to 6 hours in human faeces, up to 4 days in diarrhoea

- SARS showed only minimal reduction when kept in sub-zero temperature (like a fridge)

- SARS could be effectively killed by disinfectants like chlorine bleach, within 5 minutes

- SARS could also be killed by UV light, where 264 nm was especially effective, killing off viruses in seconds

As said, although this is for SARS, the strains are near identical so above is probably true for current virus as well.

EDIT: I should provide links as well:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/sars-virus-can-survive-for-weeks-outside-body-who-1.475387

https://materion.com/resource-center/newsletters/materials-news-stats-and-chats/killing-germs-with-leds

https://www.ajicjournal.org/article/S0196-6553(10)00420-7/fulltext

Well supported report, Op!

On 1/25/2020 at 8:04 PM, saengd said:

The virus is already here, closing the borders won't help.

It will help , if you have a flood and you have a way to stop the rest of the water to come in , would you just let the floodgates open ???? Little bit strange post in my mind . 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

It will help , if you have a flood and you have a way to stop the rest of the water to come in , would you just let the floodgates open ???? Little bit strange post in my mind . 

using your way of thinking you can only close the floodgates IF you know that the flood is coming. You cannot see this virus coming so you cannot close the floodgates as you claim. With this virus how long ago did the very first person contract this virus? Nobody knows. This virus could have started anything up to 6 months ago and it has all that time to flood other countries. Remember that it has an incubation period which does not show any symptoms and then it only shows a normal flu symptom which is already rampant in the US for years. It is not until the symptoms start to cause other medical problems like pneumonia that it is linked to this virus. How many people have contracted this virus that have traveled out of China in the last 6 months. It is too late for the floodgates

Someone has just sent me a copy of a communication from a friend in China. According to this there are tens of thousands of people affected by the coronavirus, quite a different number to what the government are letting on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1