Which Motorbike To Buy For Town, But Maybe Some Trips?

Finally got my motorcycle license so now time to consider which bike to buy. I've only ridden automatic scooters so far, but learning to ride something like a Honda Wave, with gears, shouldn't be too hard.

So, the decision will mainly be: 1) Just get something small for getting around town (Bangkok mainly), or 2) Get something a bit larger so riding it longer distances would be more comfortable...but which can also work around town. Automatic scooters, like Honda Click, super easy for town, but my friend's Honda Wave (with gears), gets better gas milage...and does better coming down long hills, like when we were riding in Mae Sai. (We couldn't go up the big mountain, cuz the Click's brakes would get too hot coming back down.)

When it comes to the 'big enough for a bit of longer cruising, but not too big for town' types, does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, I'm kinda curious how much danger there is of a bike (especially a new one), getting stolen? Thx. And I'm guessing I'll buy new.... (I live upper Sukhumvit).

The Raider 150 is neat, especially the air/oil-cooled one.  I'd also like to have a Duke 390 or Kawasaki Z400.  If I ever get back to Loei, it would be a nice size to zip around in the hills.   A compromise bike for some in-town and short jaunts might be the Kawasaki Z250SL. And I'd like a Kawasaki KLX150 for exploring a few dirt roads and trails and hopping curbs. 

A cheap beater bike is the Suzuki GD110.  It has gears and a clutch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

These things go to the moon and back, can't beat them. Never a problem. Even on a run of 100 kms or so is still comfortable enough. 

" Finally got my motorcycle license so now time to consider which bike to buy. I've only ridden automatic scooters so far, but learning to ride something like a Honda Wave, with gears, shouldn't be too hard."

In a few answers above I really have the impression that you have already forgotten that the applicant has just obtained his license and seems to me neophyte in the piloting of these two-wheeled and motor vehicles ..especially in Thailand where traffic road is very big anything.

Let him start by familiarizing himself with a Wave 125 cc with a semi automatic gearbox (no manual clutch, we shift gears with the foot);
moreover, since he is afraid of being robbed, he begins by buying a second-hand vehicle; at 20,000 baht he will already have a nice machine.
And theft insurance exists, even for two wheels.
To avoid theft the only solution is to enter the vehicle, steering locked and key in the pocket, in a locked room, which many Thai people do;
they do it even with their sedan or pickup when they have enough space.

We have had a 125 Honda for 15 years; it has almost 100,000 km; never the slightest problem apart from normal wear and tear on the transmission parts (chain and small toothed wheel at the rear) which is replaced periodically;
don't forget the oil changes;
avoid electric starters unless the kick also exists on these machines because if no battery and no kick, well it does not start.

And we brake first with the foot; the front disc brake is not used for much ... except to fall over ...

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

Even on a run of 100 kms or so is still comfortable enough.

What is "comfortable enough"? Does it mean you survived it or does it mean you would do it every day or does it mean you never did this on a bigger bike and don't know the difference?

Personally I wouldn't want to use my 150cc bike for any trip which is longer than maybe 30 minutes. It is obviously possible to do that but on a bigger bike "longer" trips are a lot more comfortable. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is "comfortable enough"? Does it mean you survived it or does it mean you would do it every day or does it mean you never did this on a bigger bike and don't know the difference?

Personally I wouldn't want to use my 150cc bike for any trip which is longer than maybe 30 minutes. It is obviously possible to do that but on a bigger bike "longer" trips are a lot more comfortable. 

Long runs on bikes up to 900 CC and runs on a wave 125I....of course a tourer is better but OP is new at bikes and an occasional run out on a wave is OK as he needs it for commuting rather than a larger bike. Krabi to Phuket many times on a wave...few coffee stops and benzine, no issues whatsoever...

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Long runs on bikes up to 900 CC and runs on a wave 125I....of course a tourer is better but OP is new at bikes and an occasional run out on a wave is OK as he needs it for commuting rather than a larger bike. Krabi to Phuket many times on a wave...few coffee stops and benzine, no issues whatsoever...

The OP does not write clearly if he wants to use the bike mostly in Bangkok or for long(er) trips.

If he knows already he will use it mostly for long(er) trips then I think he should not buy a 125 or 150cc bike. He does not need a real BIG bike but something with at least 250cc which is build with comfort in mind would probably be a good idea.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The OP does not write clearly if he wants to use the bike mostly in Bangkok or for long(er) trips.

If he knows already he will use it mostly for long(er) trips then I think he should not buy a 125 or 150cc bike. He does not need a real BIG bike but something with at least 250cc which is build with comfort in mind would probably be a good idea.

No need for a bigger bike, the op is clear. Some guys just like to talk about bigger bikes which are mostly unnecessary in Thailand. Ridiculous around town

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is that supposed to be a joke or do you want to tell everybody that you have no idea how to brake?

I made myself difficult to understand;
I wrote that we have had a 125 cc Honda for 15 years.
We have, but I use it very rarely because I ride a mountain bike;
My MTBike  has disc brakes, oil circuit, both front and rear.
On mountain bikes it is of course the front brake that works the most frequently although I try to avoid braking as much as possible.
The descents are intoxicating and the brakes only serve to avoid setting off into the background;
when a vehicle, whatever it is, goes slower than me, I overtake it, of course.
I noticed that on our Honda 125 the front disc brake works randomly; first it does not brake much then it is brutal and if the front wheel not in a straight line it is assured bowl; nothing to do with the progressive braking of my MTBike.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Thanks tons guys for the feedback. Yes, I'm new to motorbikes. I've been in BKK 14 years and ride my bicycle around my neighborhood mostly but have ridden it from BKK to Pattaya and from Hua Hin 170km down the coast, etc.
Last year I went up to Mae Sai for a week where an old (Seattle area) high school friend was staying. We rented a Click and he helped me take baby steps to learn to ride over then next 4 days. We rode an hour each way to the Mekong and back, then another day up into the hills quite a ways, which was really fun. But apparently getting to the top of Doi Chang mountain is considerably higher. He said once he went with a friend who had a scooter. She had to stop several times on the descent to let her brakes cool off. At the shop where I rented it they said I was prohibited from going up there, probably for this reason. On my friend's Wave, he could downshift to take some of the load off his breaks, which you can't do on the Click. So scooters don't seem ideal for mountainous rides.
I'm not sure how often I'll end up wanting to take longer trips on the bike. I'm 63 and basically retired. I'm getting more and more bored with BKK so am thinking that though I'll probably keep my little room here as a base, I'd like to spend, say, a month in Hua Hin every year...maybe a month up north near CM or CR. And hopefully explore some parts of LOS I've never been. (And also a month exploring wine country in Europe...one reason I wanted a legal license.)
Actually, when I was in CR last year I met a friend of a friend who told me something that might be an option: When he went to Ko Samui (for a month or so), he shipped his motorbike there. I think he said it was very reasonable cost wise...like not much more than B1000. (I just emailed him to ask the details again.) He did say the bike got slightly damaged in shipping, but that next time if he took care to protect it, it would probably survive the trip fine.
Of course, in some cases it probably makes sense to just rent a bike at the destination, like if you'll only be there a few days, etc. But I could see where it could be cool to, say, take a train or fly to CM, then have your bike waiting for you when you arrive.
Or, of course, make an adventure out of slowly making your way between towns...stopping often, finding a cheap hotel, then continuing...that way your butt and hands might be able to handle it even on a smallish bike.... But obviously, a larger bike would have less vibration and be smoother. (I think some good riding gloves could help?)
But as one video I watched recommended, you need to just sit on the thing for a bit to see how it feels, etc. As one guy here recommended, getting a used Wave at first might be smart. Then after I get some hours in the saddle I'd probably have a better idea if I could handle riding it down the coast occasionally, etc.
Speaking of buying a used Wave (or similar), do you have any tips on how one might do this and end up with a good condition bike for a reasonable price? (Maybe find a local Thai biker to help check it out?)

• Like 2

You cant go wrong with a Honda wave 

Ours is 110i with basket 6 years old 80 000 Km runs perfectly with regular oil changes and maintenance

Ps thinking about it i rarely if ever use the back brake

Edited by poohy

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

I made myself difficult to understand;
I wrote that we have had a 125 cc Honda for 15 years.
We have, but I use it very rarely because I ride a mountain bike;
My MTBike  has disc brakes, oil circuit, both front and rear.
On mountain bikes it is of course the front brake that works the most frequently although I try to avoid braking as much as possible.
The descents are intoxicating and the brakes only serve to avoid setting off into the background;
when a vehicle, whatever it is, goes slower than me, I overtake it, of course.
I noticed that on our Honda 125 the front disc brake works randomly; first it does not brake much then it is brutal and if the front wheel not in a straight line it is assured bowl; nothing to do with the progressive braking of my MTBike.

I would suggest  your  front brake hydraulic system  needs a flushing and bleeding. Probably air or water in the system.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Everything  you stated makes good enough sense  except for the last line!

The mistake many people make is to rely on the  rear brake! Consider  why the  majority of even  smaller  bikes have a front disk brake? It is because on breaking the weight of the machine and  rider  bears down more on the front wheel  giving greater positive  pressure while the  rear loses it. So the braking efficiency is better on the front.

A combination of both is the key but unfortunately without experience "crash stops" often go very wrong  for  many because it is one thing nobody practices.....but should. All  go and  no  whoa can be and often is  fatal. Even  with the advent of  ABS on motorcycles is no compensation for lack of  safe skills.

The Honda Click has combo brakes, so the left is about 20% front 80% back, i brake first using that then combine that with the right front brake as required

38 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Thanks tons guys for the feedback. Yes, I'm new to motorbikes. I've been in BKK 14 years and ride my bicycle around my neighborhood mostly but have ridden it from BKK to Pattaya and from Hua Hin 170km down the coast, etc.
Last year I went up to Mae Sai for a week where an old (Seattle area) high school friend was staying. We rented a Click and he helped me take baby steps to learn to ride over then next 4 days. We rode an hour each way to the Mekong and back, then another day up into the hills quite a ways, which was really fun. But apparently getting to the top of Doi Chang mountain is considerably higher. He said once he went with a friend who had a scooter. She had to stop several times on the descent to let her brakes cool off. At the shop where I rented it they said I was prohibited from going up there, probably for this reason. On my friend's Wave, he could downshift to take some of the load off his breaks, which you can't do on the Click. So scooters don't seem ideal for mountainous rides.
I'm not sure how often I'll end up wanting to take longer trips on the bike. I'm 63 and basically retired. I'm getting more and more bored with BKK so am thinking that though I'll probably keep my little room here as a base, I'd like to spend, say, a month in Hua Hin every year...maybe a month up north near CM or CR. And hopefully explore some parts of LOS I've never been. (And also a month exploring wine country in Europe...one reason I wanted a legal license.)
Actually, when I was in CR last year I met a friend of a friend who told me something that might be an option: When he went to Ko Samui (for a month or so), he shipped his motorbike there. I think he said it was very reasonable cost wise...like not much more than B1000. (I just emailed him to ask the details again.) He did say the bike got slightly damaged in shipping, but that next time if he took care to protect it, it would probably survive the trip fine.
Of course, in some cases it probably makes sense to just rent a bike at the destination, like if you'll only be there a few days, etc. But I could see where it could be cool to, say, take a train or fly to CM, then have your bike waiting for you when you arrive.
Or, of course, make an adventure out of slowly making your way between towns...stopping often, finding a cheap hotel, then continuing...that way your butt and hands might be able to handle it even on a smallish bike.... But obviously, a larger bike would have less vibration and be smoother. (I think some good riding gloves could help?)
But as one video I watched recommended, you need to just sit on the thing for a bit to see how it feels, etc. As one guy here recommended, getting a used Wave at first might be smart. Then after I get some hours in the saddle I'd probably have a better idea if I could handle riding it down the coast occasionally, etc.
Speaking of buying a used Wave (or similar), do you have any tips on how one might do this and end up with a good condition bike for a reasonable price? (Maybe find a local Thai biker to help check it out?)

As you ride a bicycle that gives you an excellent grounding in riding skills around town and the quirks of thai driving. Consider Pattaya also, it isn't compulsory to go to bars and has very nice countryside outside of Pattaya reachable by cycling or by motorbike

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The Honda Click has combo brakes, so the left is about 20% front 80% back, i brake first using that then combine that with the right front brake as required

Ok, yes. The CBS system is an attempt  at idiot proofing under "normal" situations. Yet  as you admit "as required" involves an over ride involving the front brake independently in more extreme stopping situations.

Agreed?

4 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Ok, yes. The CBS system is an attempt  at idiot proofing under "normal" situations. Yet  as you admit "as required" involves an over ride involving the front brake independently in more extreme stopping situations.

Agreed?

Yes, if you need to stop quickly you need the front for the reasons you say

No need to have a big bike unless you often ride long distances. I have a Honda Click which is perfect in the city, and it has served me well on long distances too. I guess some mountainous areas are steeper than others but I had no problem riding the Mae Hong Song and visiting Doi Inthanon on my Click.

Edited by farang51
Spelling

Honda CB300 perhaps? Cheap to buy 2nd hand, cheap to maintain & cheap on gas.

I think the rules for putting scooters on the train has changed to max 125cc but are not sure.

I am personally not comfortable riding long distances on small scooters, being overtaking by big trucks/buses. No spare power, so you can't accelerate out of trouble. I always rides faster than above vehicles but not super fast either, typically 120-140 when conditions allows but sometime I gun it in order to overtake fast. 

I am shocked to read about one poster that rides a scooter with defect front brake, get it fixed man. The front brake is the most important brake on a bike/car.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 2