BANGKOK
OliverKlozerof

Which Motorbike To Buy For Town, But Maybe Some Trips?

Finally got my motorcycle license so now time to consider which bike to buy. I've only ridden automatic scooters so far, but learning to ride something like a Honda Wave, with gears, shouldn't be too hard.

So, the decision will mainly be: 1) Just get something small for getting around town (Bangkok mainly), or 2) Get something a bit larger so riding it longer distances would be more comfortable...but which can also work around town. Automatic scooters, like Honda Click, super easy for town, but my friend's Honda Wave (with gears), gets better gas milage...and does better coming down long hills, like when we were riding in Mae Sai. (We couldn't go up the big mountain, cuz the Click's brakes would get too hot coming back down.)

When it comes to the 'big enough for a bit of longer cruising, but not too big for town' types, does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, I'm kinda curious how much danger there is of a bike (especially a new one), getting stolen? Thx. And I'm guessing I'll buy new.... (I live upper Sukhumvit).

The Raider 150 is neat, especially the air/oil-cooled one.  I'd also like to have a Duke 390 or Kawasaki Z400.  If I ever get back to Loei, it would be a nice size to zip around in the hills.   A compromise bike for some in-town and short jaunts might be the Kawasaki Z250SL. And I'd like a Kawasaki KLX150 for exploring a few dirt roads and trails and hopping curbs. 

A cheap beater bike is the Suzuki GD110.  It has gears and a clutch. 

• Like 1

Click 125i or 150i, both great bikes around town and the price is right.

I've never heard the issue with the steap hills you mention

• Like 2

Can't go wrong with a Wave. The motors are incredibly durable; went everywhere with ours and she's still going at over 150k! The problem with scooters regards steep, sustained downhilling is there is no gear selection to engine brake... if you're a bit of a namby-pamby that is and need to brake. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

These things go to the moon and back, can't beat them. Never a problem. Even on a run of 100 kms or so is still comfortable enough. 

" Finally got my motorcycle license so now time to consider which bike to buy. I've only ridden automatic scooters so far, but learning to ride something like a Honda Wave, with gears, shouldn't be too hard."

In a few answers above I really have the impression that you have already forgotten that the applicant has just obtained his license and seems to me neophyte in the piloting of these two-wheeled and motor vehicles ..especially in Thailand where traffic road is very big anything.

Let him start by familiarizing himself with a Wave 125 cc with a semi automatic gearbox (no manual clutch, we shift gears with the foot);
moreover, since he is afraid of being robbed, he begins by buying a second-hand vehicle; at 20,000 baht he will already have a nice machine.
And theft insurance exists, even for two wheels.
To avoid theft the only solution is to enter the vehicle, steering locked and key in the pocket, in a locked room, which many Thai people do;
they do it even with their sedan or pickup when they have enough space.

We have had a 125 Honda for 15 years; it has almost 100,000 km; never the slightest problem apart from normal wear and tear on the transmission parts (chain and small toothed wheel at the rear) which is replaced periodically;
don't forget the oil changes;
avoid electric starters unless the kick also exists on these machines because if no battery and no kick, well it does not start.

And we brake first with the foot; the front disc brake is not used for much ... except to fall over ...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

Even on a run of 100 kms or so is still comfortable enough.

What is "comfortable enough"? Does it mean you survived it or does it mean you would do it every day or does it mean you never did this on a bigger bike and don't know the difference?

Personally I wouldn't want to use my 150cc bike for any trip which is longer than maybe 30 minutes. It is obviously possible to do that but on a bigger bike "longer" trips are a lot more comfortable. 

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is "comfortable enough"? Does it mean you survived it or does it mean you would do it every day or does it mean you never did this on a bigger bike and don't know the difference?

Personally I wouldn't want to use my 150cc bike for any trip which is longer than maybe 30 minutes. It is obviously possible to do that but on a bigger bike "longer" trips are a lot more comfortable. 

Long runs on bikes up to 900 CC and runs on a wave 125I....of course a tourer is better but OP is new at bikes and an occasional run out on a wave is OK as he needs it for commuting rather than a larger bike. Krabi to Phuket many times on a wave...few coffee stops and benzine, no issues whatsoever...

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Long runs on bikes up to 900 CC and runs on a wave 125I....of course a tourer is better but OP is new at bikes and an occasional run out on a wave is OK as he needs it for commuting rather than a larger bike. Krabi to Phuket many times on a wave...few coffee stops and benzine, no issues whatsoever...

The OP does not write clearly if he wants to use the bike mostly in Bangkok or for long(er) trips.

If he knows already he will use it mostly for long(er) trips then I think he should not buy a 125 or 150cc bike. He does not need a real BIG bike but something with at least 250cc which is build with comfort in mind would probably be a good idea.

• Like 1

Stick to a 150cc auto scooter,  you won't regret it ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The OP does not write clearly if he wants to use the bike mostly in Bangkok or for long(er) trips.

If he knows already he will use it mostly for long(er) trips then I think he should not buy a 125 or 150cc bike. He does not need a real BIG bike but something with at least 250cc which is build with comfort in mind would probably be a good idea.

No need for a bigger bike, the op is clear. Some guys just like to talk about bigger bikes which are mostly unnecessary in Thailand. Ridiculous around town

• Like 1
  • Confused 2