Which Motorbike To Buy For Town, But Maybe Some Trips?

It is definitely possible to lock the front-wheel on a scooter,

esp on sand or wet, &c.

& spill.

ABS maybe save ya.

Data: papa has many small bikes.

none have ABS

papa rides a lot.

papa falls a lot.

Ergot: absence-of-ABS ==> causes falls.. 

What is it?

An extra $200?

Emergency braking,

w/ or w/o ABS

is much more effective if operator practices.

They say.

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

ABS on small scooters, hmm.

I also don't feel the need for it on my pcx but when we bought a new Filano for my wife last year, we got the top model with ABS on the front brake because my wife is not a very good rider and if ABS can save her just one time from crashing, it's money worth spend.

Big bikes: Yes ABS is a must, would never buy a bike without it.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

ABS on small scooters, hmm.

I also don't feel the need for it on my pcx but when we bought a new Filano for my wife last year, we got the top model with ABS on the front brake because my wife is not a very good rider and if ABS can save her just one time from crashing, it's money worth spend.

Big bikes: Yes ABS is a must, would never buy a bike without it.

And what would you think if your wife is used to ABS and then want to use a bike without ABS?

So there is no misunderstanding: It's an open question, not a rhetorical question. 

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And what would you think if your wife is used to ABS and then want to use a bike without ABS?

So there is no misunderstanding: It's an open question, not a rhetorical question. 

She sometimes ride my pcx when I am overseas working, just to charge the battery.

I think ABS will be more and more common on scooters over the coming years, they add more and more technology on them, hell even the last Aerox got some kind of traction control system, I read somewhere, I don't know why they think that's necessary?

The ABS on big bikes vs scooters is just guys wanting to talk about big bikes again, the difference is irrelevant. You can lock the front wheel on any size bike. I'd say ABS would be very useful particularly if new to riding, but given the choice I'd get it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The ABS on big bikes vs scooters is just guys wanting to talk about big bikes again, the difference is irrelevant. You can lock the front wheel on any size bike.

Is it not now not allowed anymore to compare bikes? Many guys who have "big" bikes also have small bikes. Horses for courses...

And in my experience bigger bikes have often a lot better brakes then small bikes - because they need better brakes.

On some big bikes it's almost easy to block the front wheel because the brakes are so powerful. On small bikes you normally have to really pull that lever hard to get the same result.

close-up-radial-mount-caliper-big-bike-m

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is it not now not allowed anymore to compare bikes? Many guys who have "big" bikes also have small bikes. Horses for courses...

And in my experience bigger bikes have often a lot better brakes then small bikes - because they need better brakes.

On some big bikes it's almost easy to block the front wheel because the brakes are so powerful. On small bikes you normally have to really pull that lever hard to get the same result.

close-up-radial-mount-caliper-big-bike-m

i think that's a weak argument, it's easy to lock the front wheel on a scooter in panic, i recall a year or two ago when a french guy in Bangkok appeared to panic and grabbed the front brake, dropped the bike and was duly run over and killed

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Buying a twist and go isn't rocket science for F..k sake, get it done.

No, it's not rocket science.

But what's wrong with looking at the available options and making an educated decision?

It's so much more fun to buy and use a good product compared to moaning in the hindsight why this and that is not as good as imagined it should be.

And the OP seems to have time and no time pressure. I think what he does makes a lot of sense.

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, it's not rocket science.

But what's wrong with looking at the available options and making an educated decision?

It's so much more fun to buy and use a good product compared to moaning in the hindsight why this and that is not as good as imagined it should be.

And the OP seems to have time and no time pressure. I think what he does makes a lot of sense.

There's always something better. The choices for auto are endless. Manual clutch narrows down the choices according to your money restraints. Just get it.